Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 04-23-2012, 01:58 PM   #1
saahilrtrivedi
VICTORY 11

Drives: 2011 Black 2LTRS with OrangeStripes
Turtle Wax Rubbing Compound Dulled Paint

I had a scuff on my front bumper so I went to Autozone and was recommended the turtle wax rubbing compound. I used this and my paint appears duller now. The car is black,
Someone told me that polish would fix this.
Any ideas or suggestions?
saahilrtrivedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 02:14 PM   #2
saahilrtrivedi
VICTORY 11

bump
Old 04-23-2012, 02:20 PM   #3
jdenotter

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS,M6,Black w/CGM Stripes
I don't know why someone recommended that junk. You need to use better products. Since it seems you're a beginner I would head over to Adam's Polishes and look at their detailing videos. They'll show you the best way to get that fixed. I would suggest machine polishing with a DA polisher along with the correct pads and polishes.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

3" RDP Motorsports aggressive cat-back exhaust w/ x-pipe, Vararam CAI, Hurst's short throw shifter, Gary's Customs painted bowties, Ofer's HID DRL/Fog Light wiring harness, Kelvin 8K HID DRL bulbs, ZL1 grille. Johnson's window tint film, LSR lowering springs, Metra dash kit with Pioneer In-Dash DVD head unit.
jdenotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 02:22 PM   #4
saahilrtrivedi
VICTORY 11

Are there any quicker fixes.
I now realize that the turtle wax probably wasn't the best product...
I don't have a machine to apply the polish.
Old 04-23-2012, 02:24 PM   #5
jdenotter

Well rubbing compound is aggressive and you could of possible burned the paint. You need polishes to clean the area up to see if it is. You can buy hand polishing pads and polish from Adam's as well.

3" RDP Motorsports aggressive cat-back exhaust w/ x-pipe, Vararam CAI, Hurst's short throw shifter, Gary's Customs painted bowties, Ofer's HID DRL/Fog Light wiring harness, Kelvin 8K HID DRL bulbs, ZL1 grille. Johnson's window tint film, LSR lowering springs, Metra dash kit with Pioneer In-Dash DVD head unit.
Old 04-23-2012, 02:29 PM   #6
saahilrtrivedi
VICTORY 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdenotter View Post
Well rubbing compound is aggressive and you could of possible burned the paint. You need polishes to clean the area up to see if it is. You can buy hand polishing pads and polish from Adam's as well.

Yeah I realized later it was too harsh.
It's not a big issue with the paint. My friend couldn't even notice it.
Maybe I'll just buy some Meguiars or Adams polish and pads and hand polish that area to get the gloss back.
Old 04-23-2012, 02:29 PM   #7
Bumblebee2012

Drives: 2012 2SS TF3, 1971 Chevelle
Get some mothers wax with cleaner, use a clean old sock, dampened slightly with water. Rub hard and fast over the effected area, as you smooth the area, you can start reducing pressure. Finish with a final fast and firm circular rub using a damp old tshirt (with no printing on it) and it should be back to almost like new.

This will likely take you 20 or more minutes, the cleaner in Mothers wax is very mild, it will not cut fast. But you can save it and bring it back to near perfect like this.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Bumblebee2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 02:34 PM   #8
saahilrtrivedi
VICTORY 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumblebee2012 View Post
Get some mothers wax with cleaner, use a clean old sock, dampened slightly with water. Rub hard and fast over the effected area, as you smooth the area, you can start reducing pressure. Finish with a final fast and firm circular rub using a damp old tshirt (with no printing on it) and it should be back to almost like new.

This will likely take you 20 or more minutes, the cleaner in Mothers wax is very mild, it will not cut fast. But you can save it and bring it back to near perfect like this.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
I'll try this,
wouldn't it just be easier to use microfiber towels though?
Old 04-23-2012, 02:35 PM   #9
jdenotter

Old socks and shirts for polishing seriously? You got the right idea OP get you some real polishes not mother paint cleaner because that stuff don't work trust me and its not going to do what you need it for.

Old 04-23-2012, 02:36 PM   #10
saahilrtrivedi
VICTORY 11

Yeah I'm gonna see what they have at the local auto zone...its not too messed up so hopefully a hand applied polish will work.
Old 04-23-2012, 02:36 PM   #11
jdenotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by saahilrtrivedi View Post
I'll try this,
wouldn't it just be easier to use microfiber towels though?
Don't do this. Very bad advice. You wont get any results like you are needing and you got a chance of marring the paint worse.

Old 04-23-2012, 02:37 PM   #12
jdenotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by saahilrtrivedi View Post
Yeah I'm gonna see what they have at the local auto zone...its not too messed up so hopefully a hand applied polish will work.
Autozone not gonna have what you need. Don't be cheap when it comes to your ride man. Do it right the first time and get the stuff that works.

Old 04-23-2012, 02:44 PM   #13
Jeffm
ICANHAZ

Drives: 2013 CRT 1SS/RS
First lets get some pics of the damage do you have any detail spray? lets do this the right way and slowly first
Jeffm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 02:50 PM   #14
ctk1
Camarofanatic

Drives: 1969 SS, 1998 RS, 2010 VR 2SS/RS
Take your car to a professional detailer or a body shop. An experienced hand with a pro buffer will be able to polish the dullness back to a high gloss in a few minutes and shouldn't even charge you very much. I'm honestly saying it will take them less than 5 minutes and $20 tops if they are any kind of decent shop.
2010 Victory Red R6P 2SS w/RS package. Gloss black Rallys, 6 speed manual, SLP Loudmouth I exhaust, LS7 style blackout panel, SS emblems front and rear, Custom 69 inspired headlight covers, Vararam no tune, Hurst Short Throw, and MTI Racing rear spoiler, SLP Front Splitter, ZL1 Side Skirts
ctk1 is offline   Reply With Quote