Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Dragstrip and Launch Techniques Discussion

Old 08-03-2009, 11:54 AM   #71
KoTToN

Drives: 2005 SilveradoSS AWD
that sucks, pretty embarassing as well. At least we got so see those airbags in action, looks like they are def worth the weight.
Like I said before, there is a dealership that is 4 miles away from my house that has 3 2SS's just sitting on their lot. And this is a very small dealership it's not a high volume dealership in a populated area., Come early summer, when 2011's are coming out, the camaro will be offered for 0%. I guarantee it
Sales Forcasting 101B:
Quote:
Originally Posted by returnofcc View Post
apparently you didn't understand my post correctly. If there are 4 (now 6) camaros sitting at a low volume dealership, just imagine how many are sitting at the high volume dealerships
KoTToN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 12:50 PM   #72
2001ragtop

Drives: V8 american car
Could electronic accelerator pedal have gotten stuck? that would really suck because perhaps he did in fact let off the gas...
2001ragtop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 01:05 PM   #73
91RS

Drives: 1991 RS
People, at least break in the ca rbefore you destroy it. I dont get it, you spend $35k on a brand new car, why would you wanna drag race it? How long do u think the car is gonna last that way? I want mine to last for 40 years so I can be driving a classic in the future.
91RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 01:34 PM   #74
SicSix6
The Demon Photographer

Drives: 2010 1SS IOM Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchamacoolitt View Post
So what caused the car to do that?
The unexperienced driver..... Is there any question about that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hot ss View Post
i didnt see a correction as he started to yaw.
he was spinning all the way past the 60, so id say
he doesnt know how to launch other than floor it.
i call experience.
Exactly.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2001ragtop View Post
Could electronic accelerator pedal have gotten stuck? that would really suck because perhaps he did in fact let off the gas...
Huh? NO! it is called unexperience on a track. From the looks he likely wanted to show off the car, didn't realize that he didnt have traction, and never let off the gas to correct the angle. I'll bet he even drove through the water box. Not only that but if you have street tires, the last thing you want to do is come out of the hole spinning your wheels. The best way to launch on street tires is to get the car rolling first then get on it hard.

1SS IOM LS3, GM 4-pack guages, SLP SS Front Emblem, Roto-Fab CAI, Solo Performance Mach X Exhaust, Barton Industries Short Throw Shifter

Last edited by SicSix6; 08-03-2009 at 02:02 PM.
SicSix6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 01:46 PM   #75
DkknightX
Account Suspended

Drives: 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt SS/SC Stage 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muscle Master View Post
Okay ... so whos is it ... come out of hiding I know you are here
Thanks for stirring the pot. I've seen a few of those lame Jeep SRT8's on the road. They aren't anything special. Get a real sportscar, will ya?! Yeah, and that means YOU with the Charger as well. Could have happened to anybody.
DkknightX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 01:49 PM   #76
DkknightX
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoutFiles View Post
What car was he barely beating before he lost control? At least the other car got past the crash before it happened.
Looks to me like one of those lame Jeep Cherrokee SRT8's I've been seeing more of on the road. Wish Chrysler would get over itself and stop manufacturing SUV's, that are wasteful to begin with and then add a big engine to it as well; doubly-wasteful. POS. Seriously.
Old 08-03-2009, 01:56 PM   #77
SicSix6
The Demon Photographer

Drives: 2010 1SS IOM Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by khislop007 View Post
I agree with you Vash, could have been oil from the previous car that nobody knew about.

If you have ever raced on a drag strip, you would know that anytime any car leaks anything, the crew clean it and make sure it is safe before the next car rolls over it.

1SS IOM LS3, GM 4-pack guages, SLP SS Front Emblem, Roto-Fab CAI, Solo Performance Mach X Exhaust, Barton Industries Short Throw Shifter
SicSix6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 02:03 PM   #78
1320junkie

Drives: The Imperial Army
Quote:
Originally Posted by 91RS View Post
People, at least break in the ca rbefore you destroy it. I dont get it, you spend $35k on a brand new car, why would you wanna drag race it? How long do u think the car is gonna last that way? I want mine to last for 40 years so I can be driving a classic in the future.
There are multiple ways to break in a car..I had mine on the track with less than 100 miles on it..same thing with both vettes and they are still running strong

Quote:
Originally Posted by SicSix6 View Post
The unexperienced driver..... Is there any question about that?

Huh? NO! it is called unexperience on a track. From the looks he likely wanted to show off the car, didn't realize that he didnt have traction, and never let off the gas to correct the angle. I'll bet he even drove through the water box. Not only that but if you have street tires, the last thing you want to do is come out of the hole spinning your wheels. The best way to launch on street tires is to get the car rolling first then get on it hard.
Not always the case

Quote:
Originally Posted by DkknightX View Post
Thanks for stirring the pot. I've seen a few of those lame Jeep SRT8's on the road. They aren't anything special. Get a real sportscar, will ya?! Yeah, and that means YOU with the Charger as well. Could have happened to anybody.
So Porsche should stop making the Cayenne and the Turbo Cayenne?
Quote:
Looks to me like one of those lame Jeep Cherrokee SRT8's I've been seeing more of on the road. Wish Chrysler would get over itself and stop manufacturing SUV's, that are wasteful to begin with and then add a big engine to it as well; doubly-wasteful. POS. Seriously.
Cherokee SRT8 is no slouch anywhere

Quote:

If you have ever raced on a drag strip, you would know that anytime any car leaks anything, the crew clean it and make sure it is safe before the next car rolls over it.
even though they clean it..it still has an effect on traction..the cleaning process eats up some of the previous rubber layed down earlier in the day..thats why alot of times on the NHRA circuit when there is a spill or accident we switch lanes because all of the traction is not there anymore due to the cleaning of the spill etc
1320junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 02:06 PM   #79
Dan3
Captain of the Failboat

Drives: 2010 IBM Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:

Depends how nice the track was that he was racing on. I've been to low-end tracks where the staff was less than stellar. My buddy was cleared to go with his SRT4, and when he got up to the line he saw a slick about 20ft off the line, he had to point it out to track staff and ask them to clean it up. Not saying thats the case here, just that it is a possibility.

I agree, the guy looks inexperienced, but he did everything right except drive it so I won't hate on him for it. As long as it was his car, it's all good. I bet that next time hes more careful on the launch. Condolences to the guy.
Produced - 10 August 2009 : #34143
Delivered - 25 August 2009
Dan3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 02:10 PM   #80
DkknightX
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1320junkie View Post
There are multiple ways to break in a car..I had mine on the track with less than 100 miles on it..same thing with both vettes and they are still running strong

Not always the case

So Porsche should stop making the Cayenne and the Turbo Cayenne?
Cherokee SRT8 is no slouch anywhere

even though they clean it..it still has an effect on traction..the cleaning process eats up some of the previous rubber layed down earlier in the day..thats why alot of times on the NHRA circuit when there is a spill or accident we switch lanes because all of the traction is not there anymore due to the cleaning of the spill etc
Chrysler is garbage in any incarnation, especially SUV's.
Old 08-03-2009, 02:11 PM   #81
ssump29
LOL at most people here.

Drives: 2005 GTO,2006 M6, 2007 300 Touring
Quote:
Originally Posted by aircooled View Post
All I can say is WTF the dude that came out the passenger side looked pretty young and you didn't see if there was anyone still in the drivers seat before the vid stopped so what I'm wonderin is, was it HIS car or his daddy's.

Cause I remember a while back our local track had what they called "spectator racing" sign the waver, buckle the helmet and seat belt and you could race 5 other cars on the oval track. Proof of ownership was not required (at that time) kid signed his name and went racin, second lap turn one put his "DADDY'S" NEW vette into the wall.
******************. Its clear to see he jumped over his seat and came out of the passenger side since GEEE I don't know his drive side was against the wall. *********************, and who cars if he looks young doesn't mean its not his car.

Last edited by KILLER74Z28; 08-03-2009 at 06:52 PM. Reason: Please play nice...
ssump29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 02:12 PM   #82
ssump29
LOL at most people here.

Drives: 2005 GTO,2006 M6, 2007 300 Touring
Quote:
I agree that there SUV's are garbage but not all there cars are. I love my 300.
Old 08-03-2009, 06:07 PM   #83
Gentry78
HOOK'EM

Drives: 97 c1500/92 olds
sorry dude thats gotta suck, i wonder what onstar said, sorry thats the first thing i thought of when watching

Quote:
ok you bash a company that puts out a entire line up of performance vehicles because thats what enthusiast want
Gentry78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 06:08 PM   #84
HOME-BY9

Drives: 2010 IOM/1SS/L99
I've seen it before:
Guys try to run street tires and keep lowering the air pressure to find a better grip, all this does is cave in the middle of the tire tread, and ultimately with this kind of horsepower will break the tire bead from the rim (instant deflation) that explains the abrupt right turn.
HOME-BY9 is offline   Reply With Quote