Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 09-24-2009, 01:53 PM   #1
lostinvt
Serial #589!

Drives: 2010 2RS/SS
Stripe Issue...dealer wants to give me credit, should I?

I've posted a few times....my 2LT has had some issues with the rally stripes peeling and pitting after 3 (yes, three!) weeks. Dealer offered to re-stripe the car, but I don't have confidence in the long-term longevity of the stripes.
Warranty or not, I don't want to wind up back at the dealer every 6 months to get the car restriped!
I love the stripes though...and I've got my mind set on getting them painted on.
My dealer quoted me $2800 to get them painted....heart-attack!
Another forum member here pointed me to another dealer that paints them for $700.
I tell my dealer...I told them I don't want them to restripe the car, I want them painted....and even if they just order the stripes, give them to me, and I resell them to go towards the paint job....
They offered me a $500 parts/service department credit instead of doing the stripes.
I told them I just wanted either cash or a credit I could use at the other dealer...they are going to let me know tomorrow.

But my question....if you guys had a $500 dealer parts/service credit offer, would you take it? What would you use it for?
lostinvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 02:49 PM   #2
AnnaBear@SpartaChevy

Drives: 2011 Camaro 1SS Manual Synergy Grn
Send a message via Yahoo to AnnaBear@SpartaChevy
I would get the cash and put it toward having them painted on by a shop that you TRUST!

Nothing beats painted stripes when they're done well.

IMO
AnnaBear@SpartaChevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 03:39 PM   #3
Moorepheus

Drives: 2013 Dodge Charge R/T Plus AWD
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostinvt View Post
I've posted a few times....my 2LT has had some issues with the rally stripes peeling and pitting after 3 (yes, three!) weeks. Dealer offered to re-stripe the car, but I don't have confidence in the long-term longevity of the stripes.
Warranty or not, I don't want to wind up back at the dealer every 6 months to get the car restriped!
I love the stripes though...and I've got my mind set on getting them painted on.
Another forum member here pointed me to another dealer that paints them for $700.
I tell my dealer...I told them I don't want them to restripe the car, I want them painted....and even if they just order the stripes, give them to me, and I resell them to go towards the paint job....
They offered me a $500 parts/service department credit instead of doing the stripes.
I told them I just wanted either cash or a credit I could use at the other dealer...they are going to let me know tomorrow.

But my question....if you guys had a $500 dealer parts/service credit offer, would you take it? What would you use it for?
Moorepheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 03:44 PM   #4
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
Quote:

if you use the dealer for your car service, oil changes and shuch, then it is kind of a trade off.

If you don't spend at the dealer I'd ask em for a check. You're on the right track.
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 03:45 PM   #5
chrisinlittlerock

Drives: 2010 Camaro/08 Tundra
Make sure you know who your getting to paint them or you could go through what I've been dealing with for a month.
Attached Images

chrisinlittlerock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 04:38 PM   #6
Thrillz

Drives: 2019 Dodge Daytona R/T
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisinlittlerock View Post
Make sure you know who your getting to paint them or you could go through what I've been dealing with for a month.

Jesus who did that stripe job the owners 8 year old son. Thats brutal
Thrillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 08:20 PM   #7
Eduk8r

Drives: Blue 2SS/RS
Do Not have the dealer body shop do it. May cost a little more but find you some one that does custom paint work. Add in some spider web or ghost flames to make yours unique. Clear coated correctly it will be as smooth as a baby's bottom.
Eduk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 08:23 PM   #8
Eduk8r

Drives: Blue 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisinlittlerock View Post
How long did you spend in jail after beating the hell out of the guy?
Eduk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 08:37 PM   #9
fee5fofum

Drives: 2012 CTS-V Coupe & 2SS/RS
Quote:

I had mine Painted on ( Factory look Rally Stripes ) at the Dealership for $700.00 out the door which is covered under the full factory paint warranty for new cars to go along with that..
Attached Images

Last edited by fee5fofum; 09-24-2009 at 08:55 PM.
fee5fofum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 08:42 PM   #10
Jamie Mac
NCM-WINR

Drives: 2010 SS/RS IOM 2014 2LT Stingray
Go see Dan Kelly in Ohio. PM me and I'll give you his contact info. I already PM'd you. I'm so happy with his work. A mustang guy that I now believe is a convert after I let him drive and work on my car. Like I said seemless stripes without bad tape lines. Beautiful work. He did mine with left over paint from a ZO6 he had just done. Used my factory boxed up stripes for a template but will do whatever you want. Thats my car in my sig although Flamin bird photo shopped the background and reflections
Old 09-24-2009, 11:00 PM   #11
TJ91
:chevy:

Drives: 2LT/RS
Get the cash and go order your self some Bumblebee 2 stripes! Would look great and just get someone reputable to install them. I cant believe how hard it is to find some good installers now. Im sure there are good ones out there, except the dealers arent choosing them
Good Luck
TJ91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 10:37 AM   #12
Moorepheus

Drives: 2013 Dodge Charge R/T Plus AWD
That is brutal job...the painted stripes look great.
Moorepheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 10:43 AM   #13
csjrishere

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Wow, that is the worst stripe job I have ever seen!!!!!
2SS/RS 6m IOM w/ White Stripes and the Black interior ordered 10/13/2008, #7905 delivered 5/26/09.
csjrishere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 11:10 AM   #14
Merc
In The Circle

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SSRS IOM M6
Stripes

My CGM stripes have been on since April. No issues, however they were factory installed. Now all colours of stripes are available from the factory now, cause of dealer installation problems. There was a thread about earlier.
Merc is offline   Reply With Quote