Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 10-30-2013, 01:42 PM   #169
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by jewel25 View Post
My child will not be walking around with a modified toy gun.

There are plenty of people I know that used to go shooting as kids and they would carry real firearms. They never got shot. My friends and I used to walk to the park carrying our airsoft guns and never got shot. Cops showed up a couple times to check them out but we never got shot or shot at.
Bhobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 01:43 PM   #170
PoorMansCamaro

Drives: Really Slow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
The only difference is my what ifs don't end up with a dead kid.
touché. then how about this, what if the kid didn't modify his gun to look real? what if he wasn't carrying it in the open, in a state that doesn't allow open carry of AK's? What if the kid did hear the cop? what if he did turn and raise the gun?
Old 10-30-2013, 01:43 PM   #171
jewel25
Mother of PWA Babies

Drives: 2011 RJT 2LT/RS
Its been fun fellas but I really should get back to work. Hopfully there is no hurt feelings or "panties in a bunch" I always love a good agrument.

Jewels
Old 10-30-2013, 01:44 PM   #172
PoorMansCamaro

Quote:
There are plenty of people I know that used to go shooting as kids and they would carry real firearms. They never got shot. My friends and I used to walk to the park carrying our airsoft guns and never got shot. Cops showed up a couple times to check them out but we never got shot or shot at.
were they AK's? lol Where they airsoft guns that look like AK's, with the orange tips painted, or taken off? Did you or your friends raise the gun toward the cop?
Old 10-30-2013, 01:44 PM   #173
Bhobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorMansCamaro View Post
touché. then how about this, what if the kid didn't modify his gun to look real? what if he wasn't carrying it in the open, in a state that doesn't allow open carry of AK's? What if the kid did hear the cop? what if he did turn and raise the gun?

Do you think a cop wouldn't have shot him if the tip was orange?

He wasn't doing anything illegal. Why should we stop doing legal things because cops might over react?
Old 10-30-2013, 01:46 PM   #174
Bhobbs

Quote:
were they AK's? lol Where they airsoft guns that look like AK's, with the orange tips painted, or taken off? Did you or your friends raise the gun toward the cop?
We never purposely pointed them at the cop but I'm sure a muzzle or two ended up in his direction when we would turn around.

Some did have the orange tip, some didn't. One was a metal AK that looked and felt real.
Old 10-30-2013, 01:49 PM   #175
PoorMansCamaro

Quote:
Do you think a cop wouldn't have shot him if the tip was orange?

He wasn't doing anything illegal. Why should we stop doing legal things because cops might over react?
technically no, he wasn't. but with a modified gun to look like an AK, it looked like he was doing something illegal. in California, you can't carry an AK in the open.

as for would the cops had fired if the tip was orange, I wouldn't know that answer. but it wasn't orange.
Old 10-30-2013, 01:53 PM   #176
nyrfan
Let's go Rangers!

Drives: 13' AGM 2SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by jewel25 View Post
and who is always right? Even when she is wrong.

Who me?
Old 10-30-2013, 02:04 PM   #177
Bhobbs

Quote:
technically no, he wasn't. but with a modified gun to look like an AK, it looked like he was doing something illegal. in California, you can't carry an AK in the open.

as for would the cops had fired if the tip was orange, I wouldn't know that answer. but it wasn't orange.

There are places in California where you can carry a firearm openly but this wasn't a firearm and he wasn't breaking the law.
Old 10-30-2013, 02:22 PM   #178
rray

Drives: 2013 GAZ 2SS/RS
This is cut and dry legal murder. 10 seconds from when the suspicious person call made until the smoking hot projectiles destroyed the child's body from its capacity to support life.

This generation of chicken shit police officers. All they had to do is call for backup in case the kid tries to run if after 30 seconds the kid don't surrender. They could hide behind there car if worried the toy was real, but instead the see it as an easy legal murder, what they had prayed for when they took the job.

-Robert
Old 10-30-2013, 02:28 PM   #179
PoorMansCamaro

Quote:
There are places in California where you can carry a firearm openly but this wasn't a firearm and he wasn't breaking the law.
not assault rifles. you can't carry any assault rifle, open carry in any part of California.

edit: and doing some more reading, not only can you not open carry an assault rifle in California, you can't have a magazine that can hold more than 10 bullets in California. and from the picture, looks like that can hold more than 10 bullets, if it were real.

I know it was a fake gun, and it is very tragic. i'm just saying, it looked like a real ak to the cops, and it had an extended mag.
Old 10-30-2013, 03:26 PM   #180
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Quote:
not assault rifles. you can't carry any assault rifle, open carry in any part of California.

edit: and doing some more reading, not only can you not open carry an assault rifle in California, you can't have a magazine that can hold more than 10 bullets in California. and from the picture, looks like that can hold more than 10 bullets, if it were real.

I know it was a fake gun, and it is very tragic. i'm just saying, it looked like a real ak to the cops, and it had an extended mag.
This was the answer I was looking for. In that case the young man and his parents are mainly to blame here for letting him walk on public streets with a gun that looks like an illegal weapon for that area. The police will most certainly react swiftly in that case because in their eyes someone is already breaking the law just buy carrying it.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 03:34 PM   #181
Spartan01

Drives: Evil Eva, 2010 2SS LS3
This is sent out to the entire board in general, not in response to a single post.

OK, first of all, IT IS A TRAGEDY THAT A CHILD DIED,
but unless you are or were ever a police officer, you should really shut up about what the police should have done. YOU CANNOT UNDERSTAND unless you have been there and done that.
(I have, I walked a beat in SE DC, 6th district.)
First of all the police had to respond as if the threat was real.
Secondly, if they have an AK-47 and you have a pistol, they are severely outgunned.
They can engage at about a max of 50 yards (really pushing it,) but they can EASILY engage at well over 100 yards. Also an AK round will go right through your standard issue level 3a vest.
Also, for thos eof you claiming that 7 rounds is excessive, again if you have never walked a beat, or been in a firefight SHUT UP.
First of all, you are moving, and you are engaging a target that is moving, also you are (apparently) OUTGUNNED, and again for those of you who do not understand terminal ballistics, rounds that do strike the target do not always take immediate effect, The subject could have been wearing armor or hopped up on PCP.
You are trained to stop the attacker. when employing deadly force, you keep engaging until there is no threat. If it took 7 rounds to put the (apparent) assailant down, then that is what it took.
I am sorry that kid is dead, I am sorry that the cops involved will have to live with it forever. This is a trageday all over, yet nobody here was on the scene, so nobody here has the right to judge the actions of the kid or the cops invloved.
Old 10-30-2013, 03:44 PM   #182
Bhobbs

Quote:

You can openly carry an assault weapon in California, otherwise, how would you shoot it at a range or BLM areas?

You can legally own mags with greater than 10 round capacity, also. They only became illegal to buy or sell after 2000 but there are legals ways to get them even now.