Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 11-21-2010, 11:38 PM   #1
josh43

Drives: 2007 Dodge ram
G6X3 Questions

Hello! I was wondering if the G6X3 is a reliable cam, as i just read one members gears going out and am wondering if that had to do with this cam.

I was also wondering if the cam would be fine in an all stock camaro, and what spring kit would be best fit for the cam.

Thanks!
Josh
josh43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 12:12 AM   #2
Ivan @ Southwest Speed

Drives: '15 Z06, '01 NBM SS, '97 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by josh43 View Post
Hello! I was wondering if the G6X3 is a reliable cam, as i just read one members gears going out and am wondering if that had to do with this cam.

I was also wondering if the cam would be fine in an all stock camaro, and what spring kit would be best fit for the cam.

Thanks!
Josh
Comp 921 Springs are about the benchmark for dual springs. They are reliable and a good value for about any "shelf" or mild cam.

The G6x3 Cam is an awesome cam. Very dependable and has been in service in the Vette world for quite some time now.

I don't see how Gears and the 75-80 HP from this Cam would cause gears to go out per se. Without knowing more about the car that had this issue, it's hard to say what else contributed to the gear failure.

I think that it would be a better cam in a car once your "first mods" such as an exhaust and cold air were already installed perhaps.

That way you could realize the full potential for what this Camshaft would do for the LS3.

-Ivan @ Southwest Speed
Ivan @ Southwest Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 01:43 PM   #3
Anthony @ LG Motorsports

Drives: 1994 1LE / 2006 Z51 Corvette
The G6X3 has been a very popular cam, and I would say a favorite with Camaro and Corvette guys alike.

I saw the other thread, and I am not sure what caused the failure with his particular setup.

You do need to keep in mind when making more HP it is going to put more stress on things like the clutch, tires, gears.....and depending on use what is going to take the brunt of the force. For most, it's tire wear as the car will spin them before breaking anything else. As you build more HP it will require things like a stronger clutch, and axles as you go. Again depending on use of the car.
Anthony @ LG Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 04:58 PM   #4
TBone
Negative Camber Junkie

Drives: 2010 1SS LS3/6MN ABM 1 of 23
Do you HAVE to change springs for this cam? Are there cams that can be swapped in that you don't need to change out the springs, rods and rockers? If so what kinda gains, since I am assuming these cams are smaller, would these cams produce if you already had the essentials in place; ie, Cai, header, catback.

T.
I can't wait for my next
Track fix.
DA HAWKS OWN DA CUP!!!!!
TBone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 06:12 PM   #5
Anthony @ LG Motorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBone View Post
Do you HAVE to change springs for this cam? Are there cams that can be swapped in that you don't need to change out the springs, rods and rockers? If so what kinda gains, since I am assuming these cams are smaller, would these cams produce if you already had the essentials in place; ie, Cai, header, catback.

T.
If you want the engine to stay alive..yes you have to change the springs. Especially with a cam of this size, with that kind of lobe profile the OEM valve springs just can not take that kind of lift.

Now I generally leave the OEM rocker arms in place with our cams. Pushrods, get changed again, because of the increased lobe lift and spring tension.

Most cams are going to require a stouter spring. Think of it this way, when you increase the amount of force on one side (the cam) you need to balance this out on the other side (the valve spring) to make sure everyone is happy. Running a big spring without the use for doing so would just rob parasitic HP from the car.
Old 11-22-2010, 06:15 PM   #6
TBone
Negative Camber Junkie

Drives: 2010 1SS LS3/6MN ABM 1 of 23
Thanks

T.
I can't wait for my next
Track fix.
DA HAWKS OWN DA CUP!!!!!
TBone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 06:17 PM   #7
Anthony @ LG Motorsports

Now there might be some cams out there that work with the OEM springs, or at least say they do. For me, most of the guys doing a cam swap are looking for either sound, performance, or both. Which means the car is going to be driven a bit harder so having the extra protection from a better spring, pushrod, and timing chain is cheap insurance.