Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Member Car Journals

Old 08-30-2014, 10:16 PM   #1
SSSoon

Drives: RY 2011 2SS A6
Arrow Purpose Built Road Course LS7 Camaro [COTW 1/19/15]

I've been running a lot of road courses in my L99, and really enjoyed installing my TVS2300 in my garage around Christmas 2012. The increase in HP was amazing - like driving a whole new car. I subsequently did a lot to help with heat (hex vents, splitter, big oil cooler) but still found my oil near or above 300 degrees after 20-25 minutes when I was running hard on VIR in the summer. Last time I was there in early July, I could only hit 135 on the back stretch, when I usually can hit 145. Was starting to think maybe I should stick to spring and fall track events.

Went to Summit Point two weeks ago and 5 laps out knew something was wrong. (see thread : http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=374324). I limped home. Then, I blew my engine trying to diagnose the problem.

The funny thing was, I had been talking to JusticePete over the summer about possibly getting a new engine. He's with Arrington Performance now. Arrington makes race engines. I went down to tour their manufacturing facility a few months back (about 45 minutes from VIR, in Martinsville VA) and was incredibly impressed. You would not believe the equipment they have, and what they can create. I griped about how heavy my car was in the nose with the supercharger in there, how I was always fighting heat, etc. Pete suggested they build me something based on an LS7 block (dry sump 427). I drooled.

So, when the L99 went (will know more next week about exactly what was busted inside), it was like a message from Fate: GET YOUR CAR TO ARRINGTON. I called a guy with a flatbed, coaxed the car on, and we headed for Martinsville. It's in the shop now while Pete and his guys put together a plan that gets me a 550-600 RWHP LS7. Will post more details as we go.

At the same time I have been thinking hard about stripping weight out of the car. Last time at Summit Point I ran without rear seats, seat belt anchors, and took out a bunch of plastic from the trunk and the rear seat area. Kinda loud but I like it. I might go further and strip the interior, and just leave my Kirkeys and cage in full time. Not really sure on that yet. Will see.

Anyhow, will post details on the build as it goes. I cannot wait to see what Arrington comes up with
Attached Images

Dry sump LS7, cage, JPSS suspension, Wilwood brakes, fire suppression, ARH 3" headers/exhaust, Z/28 DSSV coilovers, Kirkey seats, TeamTech 6-point harnesses, 19" Forgeline GA3R, 325/30R19 Re11 tires, oil cooler, monster JPSS splitter/wickerbill, CAI, brake ducts.

Last edited by SSSoon; 10-29-2014 at 05:22 PM.
SSSoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 09:08 AM   #2
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Thank you for placing your trust in Arrington and me. I'll post pictures as we move through the build process.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 11:52 AM   #3
tadams72
When is enough ever...

Drives: 2006 Silverado 2500HD CC/SB LBZ
That's the good and the bad of boost. The crappy thing for us roadies is it takes a lot more money to make big power NA so you have to be prepared for the sticker shock. I think an LS7 build will be pretty awesome. Keep us posted on the progress.

"Just like farmer engineering. Find the weak link and fix it, then find the next one." Salt Cat Racing
tadams72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 12:23 PM   #4
SSSoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
Thank you for placing your trust in Arrington and me. I'll post pictures as we move through the build process.
You bet! This is going to rock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadams72 View Post
That's the good and the bad of boost. The crappy thing for us roadies is it takes a lot more money to make big power NA so you have to be prepared for the sticker shock. I think an LS7 build will be pretty awesome. Keep us posted on the progress.
I have no delusions about price. It's gonna cost. And when it's done, I know it's not going to be a Z/28... but given how much I already have in customizing my car, I am willing to bet that a built LS7 will put me close to the same league, for a LOT less than the difference between selling my car and buying a $80k Z/28.

I already regularly get the Vette Grand Sport guys coming over between runs and asking what I have under the hood after I have blown past them. With an LS7, this will be like the ultimate track sleeper...

Pete

Dry sump LS7, cage, JPSS suspension, Wilwood brakes, fire suppression, ARH 3" headers/exhaust, Z/28 DSSV coilovers, Kirkey seats, TeamTech 6-point harnesses, 19" Forgeline GA3R, 325/30R19 Re11 tires, oil cooler, monster JPSS splitter/wickerbill, CAI, brake ducts.
Old 08-31-2014, 03:48 PM   #5
tadams72
When is enough ever...

Drives: 2006 Silverado 2500HD CC/SB LBZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSSoon View Post
You bet! This is going to rock.

I have no delusions about price. It's gonna cost. And when it's done, I know it's not going to be a Z/28... but given how much I already have in customizing my car, I am willing to bet that a built LS7 will put me close to the same league, for a LOT less than the difference between selling my car and buying a $80k Z/28.

I already regularly get the Vette Grand Sport guys coming over between runs and asking what I have under the hood after I have blown past them. With an LS7, this will be like the ultimate track sleeper...

Pete
Good feeling to be on the track in a "muscle car" and handing the high end sports car some of their backside. of course there is always someone a little faster but fun to be that guy once in awhile. I was doing the same until I floated a valve into a piston last December on Streets of Willow. Now the car sits while I make up my mind on how to proceed. Going to be a stroker but LS7 is out of my price range.

Good luck on the build and make those guys take lots of pictures and provide updates. I think it is also appropriate that Justice Pete make the handling a little better to go along with the new found NA power!

Travis

"Just like farmer engineering. Find the weak link and fix it, then find the next one." Salt Cat Racing
tadams72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 06:51 PM   #6
SSSoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadams72 View Post
Good feeling to be on the track in a "muscle car" and handing the high end sports car some of their backside. of course there is always someone a little faster but fun to be that guy once in awhile. I was doing the same until I floated a valve into a piston last December on Streets of Willow. Now the car sits while I make up my mind on how to proceed. Going to be a stroker but LS7 is out of my price range.

Good luck on the build and make those guys take lots of pictures and provide updates. I think it is also appropriate that Justice Pete make the handling a little better to go along with the new found NA power!

Travis
Sorry to hear you had valve problems on yours. I hope you find a good solution.

I am sure not the fastest guy out there in the corners, and I have a lot to learn yet, no question about it. I've been working on adjusting my lines away from the generic line and towards a high horsepower line - so, on a big 180 degree corner, braking hard and going deep on the entry, cranking the wheel really hard and then getting right back on the gas to make a straightish line out. That's really different than the lighter cars that try to make a nice arc out of the whole thing. It's hell on the brakes but I have picked up at least a second on a corner when doing it that way.

Anyhow, am eagerly waiting to see what JusticePete's engineering group will recommend. I know we'll get lots of pics as things come together.

Old 09-01-2014, 11:44 AM   #7
Camaro Dude

Drives: ‘13 1LE
Maaaaan, just as I was mentally preparing to pull the trigger on the SLP unit, I stumble across this thread
Camaro Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 12:28 PM   #8
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro Dude View Post
Maaaaan, just as I was mentally preparing to pull the trigger on the SLP unit, I stumble across this thread
I have an idea where you could get a great deal on a forged LS3, SLP blower and the very cool SLP covers in about a month...
Old 09-01-2014, 12:29 PM   #9
Camaro Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
I have an idea where you could get a great deal on a forged LS3, SLP blower and the very cool SLP covers in about a month...
I'm all ears (cigarette)!

Pm me if you think it's better.

Cost?
Old 09-01-2014, 12:31 PM   #10
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro Dude View Post
I'm all ears (cigarette)!

Pm me if you think it's better.

Cost?
Won't know for sure until we open her up and see what condition everything is in. Give me a week or so.
Old 09-01-2014, 12:31 PM   #11
Camaro Dude

Roger that.
Old 09-04-2014, 01:44 PM   #12
JOHNSONROD

Drives: 62 Chevy & 2021 1SS/1LE manual
SSOON, check out that museum thread of mine. how terrible and ironic that both our engines lasted and blew about the same time. my #7 intake spring broke. the valve dropped and it was over from there. i ordered a GMPP crate engine to swap in for the sept 26th four day event at the new track. my block is kinda ok. a lil scoring in #7. my guess is that we can clean it up, reuse the block and bottom end with new pistons and heads. this way ill have a spare if we need it for quick swap.
i got a stupid deal on this through my father in law. its an ls3 with asa cam and better stuff in the heads. its a sealed turn key GMPP product with 2 year warranty.

http://paceperformance.com/i-7739382...te-engine.html
JOHNSONROD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 03:44 PM   #13
1977and2010
Tampa Gulf Coast Family

Drives: 1977 Z28, 2SSRS 2010 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNSONROD View Post
SSOON, check out that museum thread of mine. how terrible and ironic that both our engines lasted and blew about the same time. my #7 intake spring broke. the valve dropped and it was over from there. i ordered a GMPP crate engine to swap in for the sept 26th four day event at the new track. my block is kinda ok. a lil scoring in #7. my guess is that we can clean it up, reuse the block and bottom end with new pistons and heads. this way ill have a spare if we need it for quick swap.
i got a stupid deal on this through my father in law. its an ls3 with asa cam and better stuff in the heads. its a sealed turn key GMPP product with 2 year warranty.

http://paceperformance.com/i-7739382...te-engine.html
Boy does that sound familiar. Mine started with #7 intake spring also, and ended up taking out the whole motor. There have been too many of us losing motors in the last year or so. I went with a forged 415 ci with a medium cam to boost up the torque so I don't have to rev it so high. It really does pull a lot harder now in the lower revs and all the way up. I hope my thinking plays out. Now after blowing all of my play money fixing it, I need to save up so I can get back out on the track. Good luck fellas
Old 09-04-2014, 04:12 PM   #14
SSSoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNSONROD View Post
SSOON, check out that museum thread of mine. how terrible and ironic that both our engines lasted and blew about the same time. my #7 intake spring broke. the valve dropped and it was over from there. i ordered a GMPP crate engine to swap in for the sept 26th four day event at the new track. my block is kinda ok. a lil scoring in #7.
Hey Johnsonrod - I am so sorry that your engine bought it too! Don't have exact cause yet on what caused mine but the OBD device was showing in real time tons of misfires on #5 and #7 as it finally gave. I wonder if valve springs were at fault. Looks like you found a good solution - happy to hear that. Would love to compare builds when we are both done and back at the track. In the end heat soak was an issue for me that I wanted to solve. Remember me saying I could only get to 135 on the back stretch last time we were at VIR? Sucked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1977and2010 View Post
Boy does that sound familiar. Mine started with #7 intake spring also, and ended up taking out the whole motor. There have been too many of us losing motors in the last year or so. I went with a forged 415 ci with a medium cam to boost up the torque so I don't have to rev it so high. It really does pull a lot harder now in the lower revs and all the way up. I hope my thinking plays out. Now after blowing all of my play money fixing it, I need to save up so I can get back out on the track. Good luck fellas
#7 again! Holy crap. You're right, it sounds like it is becoming more common lately for road course guys. What kind of engine is your 415? What kind of power and torque does it make?

Last edited by SSSoon; 09-04-2014 at 04:27 PM.