Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Other Generations > 3rd Generation Camaros

Old 05-26-2012, 07:32 PM   #1
ironman187

Drives: 84 Camaro 2.8 :(
Intro/HELP ME!!! Thread

Hey all, my cousin just bought an 84 Camaro 2.8 that is is rough shape, however, he is not mechanically inclined, so I get to be the unlucky soul that wades through the oodles of vacuum lines and rust bubbles to keep it running. Anyway, he plans to upgrade the engine to a 350 with a Manual transmission in the future, but that's once he gets back from active duty...which would be in about two years. In the meantime, he is stateside and needs his ride up and running. When he brought it home, it was idling kinda rough and didn't want to start. Anyway, he changed the oil, spark plugs, wires, and air filter. There was no real change. So, I took to the car, I checked for codes and found code 22 (TPS), although subsequent "scans" (using the jumper wire method) did not bring up any codes. I then changed the distributor cap, distributor rotor, TPS, some hoses leading to that big black canister in the front fender (Evap canister I assume) and the starter, which had a faulty solenoid in it. Anyway, now the car won't start at all. I checked for spark, and got it on all 6 wires, I also have a carb rebuild kit waiting to be picked up at the local auto parts store. Also, the AIR pump has seized as is evidenced by the chewed up belt. Literally any advice n how to go about finding the no start problem, rebuilding the carb, removing the AIR system, and replacing the engine/ transmission (for the future) is welcome since I do NOT know my way around the engine bay of these cars, or carbureted engines for that matter. Thanks in advance!
ironman187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 02:06 AM   #2
MAC
Iroc-Z <3'r

Drives: '87 5.7L Iroc-Z
Holy crap...this is going to be a Huge/Long project for you...As per usual, I strongly suggest going over to Thirdgen.Org for the assistance you need.
As helpful and kind as the people here on Camaro5 are, they aren't going to be as much help as going to Thirdgen.org, nor as enthusiastic.

I've had my car since Jan '11, and have gotten TONS of help over on that site, Not just from making threads, but also Searching the boards for useful information pertaining to the issue I'm having...9 times out of 10, the issue has already been discussed and solved.

"Camaro Z/28 is back. Gentlemen, Don't even bother to start your engines."
MAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 09:29 AM   #3
ironman187

Drives: 84 Camaro 2.8 :(
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC View Post
Holy crap...this is going to be a Huge/Long project for you...As per usual, I strongly suggest going over to Thirdgen.Org for the assistance you need.
As helpful and kind as the people here on Camaro5 are, they aren't going to be as much help as going to Thirdgen.org, nor as enthusiastic.

I've had my car since Jan '11, and have gotten TONS of help over on that site, Not just from making threads, but also Searching the boards for useful information pertaining to the issue I'm having...9 times out of 10, the issue has already been discussed and solved.
Yeah tell me about it, I'm not really looking forward to it, but he's my cousin, and he needs a working car at the very least. Anyway, thanks for the advice, I'll give third gen.org a go. See you over there! lol
ironman187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:28 AM   #4
Cadaver Puncher
Resident asshole

Drives: 92 Camaro rs ( not stock) lol
If you removed the distributor, it may be 180° off. Check timing.
Is the starter teeth engaging the flywheel / flex plate?
Check map sensor ( tiny black box close to where the heating hoses enter the firewall)
Disconnect the negative battery for a couple mins, then reattach it.
It will go thru idle learn procedure ( don't touch the brakes or throttle during this time)
Also check the ignition control module. They get hot and temperamental.
Replace fuel filter.
Check fuel pressure
If fuel pressure is low replace fuel pump and fuel pressure regulator.
Seafoam it once it's running. ( that gets a lot of carbon and crud off the internal engine parts.
Don't be afraid of all the smoke when sea foaming it. That all the crud burning off. Word of advise though...if you like your neighbors, seafoam the car on a deserted road or parking lot.
When I did mine, neighbors called the fire department due yo all the smoke.

I have a 3.1 v6 ( almost the same as 2.8)
So any questions you have just pm me.

Good luck.