Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 03-15-2016, 04:29 PM   #1
cc-rider

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Anyone ever added a second set of stock LS3 resonators?

Has anyone ever added a second set of stock LS3 resonators in line to try and tame down LT header rasp a bit more?

I know many people use the Magnaflow resonated X. But they also seem to really quiet things down a lot. Too much according to many. There has to be thousands of these stock LS3 resonator bullets laying around in people's garages. I'm intrigued to try and weld another set in line and see if it tames it down a bit more.
cc-rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 05:01 PM   #2
flyer08
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Are you talking about drone or what? Cant imagine why you'd want to do that
flyer08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 05:08 PM   #3
cc-rider

Rasp and sound volume. Just to tame it down one more notch. Something in between nothing and a Magnaflow resonated X.
Old 03-24-2016, 04:13 PM   #4
Magna_Flow

Drives: 2015 ZL1
What many people don't know, is that we actually make our resonated X's in a wide variety of sizes. If you don't want to bring the volume down too much, we would recommend using one of our smaller 4x9" sizes.
Magna_Flow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 06:06 PM   #5
762ch

Drives: 2011 2SS
Go with the smaller resonated x, and use that as the only muffler in the system. Straight pipe after the X-pipe and it will sound great. I ran a setup like that for a little while and it was great.
762ch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 06:08 PM   #6
cc-rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magna_Flow View Post
What many people don't know, is that we actually make our resonated X's in a wide variety of sizes. If you don't want to bring the volume down too much, we would recommend using one of our smaller 4x9" sizes.
Can you please post some information on this product? I cannot find any information on this. Not on your website or any others.
Old 03-26-2016, 07:56 PM   #7
supergt99

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by cc-rider View Post
Can you please post some information on this product? I cannot find any information on this. Not on your website or any others.
Same. I'm interested in the resonated x as well
supergt99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 07:40 AM   #8
cc-rider

It's not available guys. I just did a ton of search both at Magnaflow and all over the web. It's part # 11386 (https://www.magnaflow.com/products?partNumber=11386) that is the 4x9 resonator.....which is the same one that everyone has been installing here for years and posted about a thousand times. It works very well...just makes the car a bit too quiet for some peoples liking.

There is no smaller/louder one than that. And if there is, then Magnaflow should pipe in here with specifics meaning a part number and a link where we can see it.
Old 03-27-2016, 06:49 PM   #9
Avenging Orange

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS
Hey OP, I think your idea is intrigueing. Be the guinea pig and go for it. You might be on to something there. Later this summer I'm planning on throwing around a couple custom exhaust ideas my neighbor and I have been discussing. Mostly on muffler placement within the system and how it affects sound/tone/drone, etc.
2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS M6 Black Leather, Sun Roof, OBX Headers, Borla touring axle back, Cold Air Inductions CAI , non synthetic fluids, BMR total bushing upgrade/1" lowering springs, DSE 32mm rear sway bar. GM fe4 shocks/struts/LCA's, AAM 3.91 diff, Vertini RFS1.8 20x9 +30. Conti ExtremeContact Sport 275/35/20. sjm autoprod ABL dash kit. Mike Norris tuned 413/419.
Avenging Orange: 43 years of not buying into the Hype........and damn proud of it!!
https://youtu.be/9JD9it6SmB8
https://youtu.be/xmelTlEzI34
KICKING CANCERS ASS SINCE 2015!!
Avenging Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 07:21 PM   #10
Homeless Man
Homeless Life Chose Me

Drives: LS3 (sold 4/21)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avenging Orange View Post
Hey OP, I think your idea is intrigueing. Be the guinea pig and go for it. You might be on to something there. Later this summer I'm planning on throwing around a couple custom exhaust ideas my neighbor and I have been discussing. Mostly on muffler placement within the system and how it affects sound/tone/drone, etc.
I would like to hear about these different custom exhaust ideas
Old 03-27-2016, 08:00 PM   #11
cc-rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avenging Orange View Post
I've got a wanted ad in the classifieds trying to find a set to give this a shot. There has to be plenty of these laying around in people's garages.

I was crawling around under my car today looking at this. The stock resonator is 13" long. I need to find a place to sneak this in. Ideal spot would be after the H pipe and before the existing resonator. But the driveshaft brace might be in the way (the little flat spot that's on the stock tuning).
Old 03-27-2016, 08:34 PM   #12
Homeless Man
Homeless Life Chose Me

Drives: LS3 (sold 4/21)
Yup that flat spot is there for a reason lol
Old 03-28-2016, 08:11 AM   #13
pir4te
Moonshiner

Drives: Holden SS-V L77 flex fuel
From headers into expanding secondary chamber Inc. HF cats, straight through unresonated X correctly placed (use PipeMax), couple of short bullets to tone down immediately after the tunnel brace, HSV GTS bimodal rear cans.

Old 03-28-2016, 03:37 PM   #14
Avenging Orange

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeless Man View Post
I would like to hear about these different custom exhaust ideas
Only issue here is limited space......but we'll see what happens.
2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS M6 Black Leather, Sun Roof, OBX Headers, Borla touring axle back, Cold Air Inductions CAI , non synthetic fluids, BMR total bushing upgrade/1" lowering springs, DSE 32mm rear sway bar. GM fe4 shocks/struts/LCA's, AAM 3.91 diff, Vertini RFS1.8 20x9 +30. Conti ExtremeContact Sport 275/35/20. sjm autoprod ABL dash kit. Mike Norris tuned 413/419.
Avenging Orange: 43 years of not buying into the Hype........and damn proud of it!!
https://youtu.be/9JD9it6SmB8
https://youtu.be/xmelTlEzI34
KICKING CANCERS ASS SINCE 2015!!
Avenging Orange is offline   Reply With Quote