Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 02-07-2013, 06:05 PM   #43
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
Because GM has no reason to build the Z/28. The Camaro is selling well so why incur the costs of a new Z/28? I doubt GM cares if there is a Z/28 or not.
Yes they do. They need to keep market share since the Camaro is aging and their competitor's will soon be new. They care!
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 06:20 PM   #44
Blueclyde

Drives: 2023 ZLE
It will happen, for the very reason some of you are saying it won't. The 7.0L has a limited sight line and will be going the way of the dinosaur. Why not shove it in a 1LE spec'd 5th gen with a couple of other upgraded drivetrain do-dads that they already have on ZL1 and make the Z28? I think it's brilliant. Think about it. I don't mean to offend anybody hear but really when was the last time a car named Z28 was really good? It's Ben a long time and you can argue that it's been since 1st gen. Who cares what's faster in a straight line Orin whatever track. Really, I could care less. I think it old be cool as hell. Guys, I really think its gonna come.
Blueclyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 06:21 PM   #45
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
Yes they do. They need to keep market share since the Camaro is aging and their competitor's will soon be new. They care!
If they did, why isn't there a Z/28? The time to reveal a Z/28 is fading fast and we don't even have a glimpse of a possible Z/28. No spy shots of a new Camaro being tested. No Jalopnik pictures of an LS7 under the hood of a Camaro. Nothing.

That says a lot to me.

With the Mustang moving towards a more global design, I don't think it will see that great in North America. All GM has to do is make the next Camaro look like an American muscle car and I bet it will sell very well.
Bhobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 06:30 PM   #46
Bhobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueclyde View Post
It will happen, for the very reason some of you are saying it won't. The 7.0L has a limited sight line and will be going the way of the dinosaur. Why not shove it in a 1LE spec'd 5th gen with a couple of other upgraded drivetrain do-dads that they already have on ZL1 and make the Z28? I think it's brilliant. Think about it. I don't mean to offend anybody hear but really when was the last time a car named Z28 was really good? It's Ben a long time and you can argue that it's been since 1st gen. Who cares what's faster in a straight line Orin whatever track. Really, I could care less. I think it old be cool as hell. Guys, I really think its gonna come.
Why don't I see the Z/28 coming in the 5th gen or even in the future? GMs lack of willingness to use high peformance Corvette engines in the Camaro. If we have to wait for the Corvette to move on to the latest and greatest engines before they make their way into the Camaro, then the Camaro will always be limited. It would have been nice to see the LS6 in a 4th gen Z/28 but that didn't happen. It would have been great to have the LT4 in a 3rd gen Z/28 but there wasn't an LT4 Z/28.
Old 02-07-2013, 06:34 PM   #47
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
That is the reason I think it could happen^. Ford typically did the same thing before a new mustang came out to keep the outgoing model fresh.

03/04 in addition to the cobra, you had the Mach 1
08/09 you had bullitt (yeah I know not that special but still mustang guys love it)

That's why I could see the Z28, with a totally new mustang coming out, Chevy will need something to keep camaro fresh till the 6th gen.
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 06:49 PM   #48
Blueclyde

Drives: 2023 ZLE
Maybe the mods should merge this thread into the House.
Blueclyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:00 PM   #49
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
That is the reason I think it could happen^. Ford typically did the same thing before a new mustang came out to keep the outgoing model fresh.

08/09 you had bullitt (yeah I know not that special but still mustang guys love it)

That's why I could see the Z28, with a totally new mustang coming out, Chevy will need something to keep camaro fresh till the 6th gen.
Yes.
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:03 PM   #50
Bhobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post

That's Ford. They do things with the Mustang that Chevy doesn't do with the Camaro.
Old 02-07-2013, 08:49 PM   #51
wildpaws

Drives: 1999 Blazer
A 5th gen Z/28 will happen, a 5th gen Z/28 won't happen, and still we see nothing in the form of a concrete answer either way from Chevrolet. I am quite frankly disappointed that this far into the 5th gen cycle that Chevy/GM has not made an effort to get a proper Z/28 out there. And I see a disappointing number of performance engines for selections now and in the future. Now I realize we'll never see the number of performance engines in a lineup that we had in the '60s, but surely they should be able to develop and commit to three good performance engines that would support an SS, Z/28 and ZL1. I may get surprised and a 5th gen Z/28 may show up yet, I might get surprised and find all three in the 6th gen when it arrives, but I'm not holding my breath waiting for either event to happen. I've been almost 100% GM since I started driving in the mid '60s, but these days like so many other companies GM is limiting their selections/lines and you either buy what little they offer or you look elsewhere. Call me a stick in the mud or a pessimist or what ever else you like, I'm not very hopeful of seeing solutions from Chevy/GM for the vehicle I'm looking for. And I am getting so I rarely post here because of those feelings. I still have a faint hope that they will change my mind, but that is very faint and would be a suprise if it happened.
Clyde
wildpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 09:28 PM   #52
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Yes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
That's Ford. They do things with the Mustang that Chevy doesn't do with the Camaro.
That is also true.
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 12:16 AM   #53
Bhobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildpaws View Post
A 5th gen Z/28 will happen, a 5th gen Z/28 won't happen, and still we see nothing in the form of a concrete answer either way from Chevrolet. I am quite frankly disappointed that this far into the 5th gen cycle that Chevy/GM has not made an effort to get a proper Z/28 out there. And I see a disappointing number of performance engines for selections now and in the future. Now I realize we'll never see the number of performance engines in a lineup that we had in the '60s, but surely they should be able to develop and commit to three good performance engines that would support an SS, Z/28 and ZL1. I may get surprised and a 5th gen Z/28 may show up yet, I might get surprised and find all three in the 6th gen when it arrives, but I'm not holding my breath waiting for either event to happen. I've been almost 100% GM since I started driving in the mid '60s, but these days like so many other companies GM is limiting their selections/lines and you either buy what little they offer or you look elsewhere. Call me a stick in the mud or a pessimist or what ever else you like, I'm not very hopeful of seeing solutions from Chevy/GM for the vehicle I'm looking for. And I am getting so I rarely post here because of those feelings. I still have a faint hope that they will change my mind, but that is very faint and would be a suprise if it happened.
Clyde
I don't have faith in GM to bring back the Z/28 well all want. The Camaro is an excellent car and I more than likely will end up buying a 1LE after I graduate but it still isn't the Z/28 we know they could build if they really wanted to.
Old 02-08-2013, 07:46 PM   #54
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
6QUOTE=wildpaws;6134852]A 5th gen Z/28 will happen, a 5th gen Z/28 won't happen, and still we see nothing in the form of a concrete answer either way from Chevrolet. I am quite frankly disappointed that this far into the 5th gen cycle that Chevy/GM has not made an effort to get a proper Z/28 out there. And I see a disappointing number of performance engines for selections now and in the future. Now I realize we'll never see the number of performance engines in a lineup that we had in the '60s, but surely they should be able to develop and commit to three good performance engines that would support an SS, Z/28 and ZL1. I may get surprised and a 5th gen Z/28 may show up yet, I might get surprised and find all three in the 6th gen when it arrives, but I'm not holding my breath waiting for either event to happen. I've been almost 100% GM since I started driving in the mid '60s, but these days like so many other companies GM is limiting their selections/lines and you either buy what little they offer or you look elsewhere. Call me a stick in the mud or a pessimist or what ever else you like, I'm not very hopeful of seeing solutions from Chevy/GM for the vehicle I'm looking for. And I am getting so I rarely post here because of those feelings. I still have a faint hope that they will change my mind, but that is very faint and would be a suprise if it happened.
Clyde[/QUOTE]
...the answer was already pinned down along time ago by a respectable member on the board when we were having this discussion. I have tried to keep the message alive. It's a business decision, not to take a risk or gamble upon the success of the ZL1 program. It would be like splitting stock IMHO, without the projection of sales enhancement or profit. It's internal competition, without any marketing that can claim one is top dog, and the other will be second....with a tight profit margine between high dollar models closely priced. The Z06 and ZR1 are seperated by much more of a price stratus and performance level, and that is a more tollerable environment for sales, not the Camaro's where both would be too close in performance and price.
Old 02-08-2013, 08:24 PM   #55
wildpaws

Drives: 1999 Blazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldScoolCamaro View Post
6QUOTE=wildpaws;6134852]A 5th gen Z/28 will happen, a 5th gen Z/28 won't happen, and still we see nothing in the form of a concrete answer either way from Chevrolet. I am quite frankly disappointed that this far into the 5th gen cycle that Chevy/GM has not made an effort to get a proper Z/28 out there. And I see a disappointing number of performance engines for selections now and in the future. Now I realize we'll never see the number of performance engines in a lineup that we had in the '60s, but surely they should be able to develop and commit to three good performance engines that would support an SS, Z/28 and ZL1. I may get surprised and a 5th gen Z/28 may show up yet, I might get surprised and find all three in the 6th gen when it arrives, but I'm not holding my breath waiting for either event to happen. I've been almost 100% GM since I started driving in the mid '60s, but these days like so many other companies GM is limiting their selections/lines and you either buy what little they offer or you look elsewhere. Call me a stick in the mud or a pessimist or what ever else you like, I'm not very hopeful of seeing solutions from Chevy/GM for the vehicle I'm looking for. And I am getting so I rarely post here because of those feelings. I still have a faint hope that they will change my mind, but that is very faint and would be a suprise if it happened.
Clyde
...the answer was already pinned down along time ago by a respectable member on the board when we were having this discussion. I have tried to keep the message alive. It's a business decision, not to take a risk or gamble upon the success of the ZL1 program. It would be like splitting stock IMHO, without the projection of sales enhancement or profit. It's internal competition, without any marketing that can claim one is top dog, and the other will be second....with a tight profit margine between high dollar models closely priced. The Z06 and ZR1 are seperated by much more of a price stratus and performance level, and that is a more tollerable environment for sales, not the Camaro's where both would be too close in performance and price.[/QUOTE]

And that may very well be Chevy's mindset/business decision, yes it is their's to make, but that does not mean I have to be happy about it! Just as the music synthesizer market, the digital camera market, just about every market/product category you can think of, most large companies have today become simply purveyors of an endless sea of "me too" products with very limited choices and/or options. Can I change that? No absolutely not. Today if a product does not sell in anticipated numbers, for the most part there is little effort to change the product line in meaningful ways to be more in line with what consumers really want, it is simply cancelled and the next "latest, greatest" comes into the market place. And we in turn often compromise on what we really want and accept whatever offering is currently in the marketplace. And so it goes, endlessly on and on heading towards a sea of mediocrity. Is GM there yet? No, they have created some awesome vehicles in the last few years, the ZL1 Camaro, the Z06 and ZR1 Vettes, and the Cadillac CTS-V to name a few. Will they still create some great new vehicles? I'm certain they will, but at what price? Many of today's high performance vehicles cost more than my first new home was built for (two ZL1s today would pay off my latest house). My problem is two fold, a "proper" Z/28 built with the original heritage in mind and the fact that if they do build one it will not be a truly affordable (by my standards) performance vehicle. I'm not asking them to build one for $29,995 MSRP, but a more reasonable price in the low to mid $40k range would be ideal. Likely to happen? I don't think so, I think our marketplace, regulations, and cost of goods will prohibit that happening. More and more technology is being incorporated into products every year, technology costs money somewhere along the line (whether it be research, development, purchase, raw materials, whatever). Am I scolding GM/Chevy? No, not really, most companies are in some sort of similar situation. I think what it really is, is that I'm lamenting some of the modernization and changes in today's world.
Clyde
wildpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:19 PM   #56
Bhobbs

Who knows, maybe they will drop the LS9 into the ZL1 and bump up the price so there is room to fit an LS7 Z/28 into the line up. Or not...