Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 07-30-2014, 09:01 AM   #1
chiefsb30

Drives: 2011 SS/RS Convertible
2011 2SS/RS A6 shifting issue

Hey, Im a long time reader, first time poster here. I posted this on another 5th gen forum while waiting for my membership to activate here, but I feel like this forum gets more traffic. Heres the issue:

I have a 2011 2SS/RS convertible with an A6. Bought it with 14k miles, and have 24k on it now. Recently, while slowing down and coming around corners, I have noticed it will drop out of D, and display 1 or 2 on the display. The car will not go back into D without being dropped into M, or N, and then sent back into D by moving the shifter. To clarify, it seems to happen after probbaly 15 to 20 miles of driving only, and its a bit intermitent. I have a bumper to bumper until Labor dayish or 2k more miles, and powertrain until 2016.

Anyone experience this yet? I imagine its gonna be an issue for the dealership, but just wanted to know if others had experienced it and what the outcome was. Thanks in advance.
chiefsb30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 09:47 AM   #2
OmniCamaro
US Veteran

Drives: 2011 Silver Ice Metallic 2SS/RS A6
That's not normal. Are you positive you're not hitting the paddle buttons on the steering wheel by accident? While in Drive it is possible to downshift by hitting the left paddle shift button. Normally, in a few seconds or so it will return to Drive on it's own if you continue driving normally. I have never personally tested downshifting while in Drive and then stopping to see if it goes back into Drive while stopped. Do you notice the car downshift when the display changes? I would try it myself but my car is at the dealership at the moment.
Old 07-30-2014, 10:23 AM   #3
chiefsb30

No, I am definetly not shifting it by accident. I can definetly feel it shift when the display changes, that feeling you get where the trans is whats slowing the car down.

Like I said, I dont imagine my problem will be fixed by the forum, but I was just curious if anyone else had experienced that. Thank goodness for warranties.
Old 07-30-2014, 11:53 AM   #4
OmniCamaro
US Veteran

While in M mode the trans does do this automatically if you do some braking & turning. Never had it do that while in Drive though.
Old 07-30-2014, 01:00 PM   #5
RobertRS

Drives: 2014 2SS L99
You can accidently, sometimes no knowingly bump either the upshift or downshift paddles and the tranny will shift into manual mode and then shift back to drive on its own. If you are dead sure however that you definitely didn't bump either one ,then you have a problem. I just know how easy it is to accidently bump them occasionally when turning though. In normal drive mode the tranny should return back to automatic upshifting. When in sport mode though if the paddles are hit it will remain in whatever gear is reading out until you hold the upshift paddle in for a few seconds, and the it will return to automatic shifting Sport mode. Maybe some glitch in your TCM.
RobertRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 06:37 AM   #6
chiefsb30

No, I dont believe its me hitting the paddles by accident. It would be hard for me to do the way I hold a steering wheel. Plus, Ive put 10k on this car and only had the issue the last few hundred. I figure I will drive it a little more than usual now, and just keep a close eye on it. If it wants to do it some more I need to send it in to the dealership, preferably before my bumper to bumper warranty expires.
Old 08-06-2014, 12:07 PM   #7
OmniCamaro
US Veteran

If you have the time, take her in to the dealership. Run through the car first and make yourself a list, if there are any other issues, and make the trip worthwhile.