Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 02-06-2013, 12:15 PM   #15
Baldman
EMERALD COAST CAMAROS

Drives: None
Go to your manual and in driving and operating there's a paragraph on Key Lock Release. I have a 2010 and it's on page 8-19. Yours is probably in that area. Hope this helps.
Old 02-06-2013, 12:33 PM   #16
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deke736 View Post
Thanks again for the advice! The taillights did go into show mode, which now makes sense with the low battery.

I'm curious though why I would need charge the battery on a charger from the front posts and not directly to the battery? Is there a difference?
You can use the posts under the hood or on the battery itself. It's your choice.

I clip mine on the posts of the battery itself, but for others it's just more convienent to use the posts under the hood.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 01:17 PM   #17
Normagene

Drives: 2013 Ashen Gray M6 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by christianmotox View Post
When the battery is low the Technostalgia taillights with go in to show mode, and they are always drawing current from the battery, The manufacturer has acknowledged that the lights will eventually drain the battery if the car is not used ofter and you dont use a trickle charger. As of right now the manufacturer doesn't have a solution for this problem.

I have no idea whats the deal with the key not being released. but most definitely looks like the dead battery is the cause here.
Looking over all the taillight components, yeah, I can see where they will constantly be using battery power. Fired off an e-mail to the manufacturer and asked what they recommend if the vehicle will not be started for a long period of time. Especially during these freezing winter months. I know that's of no help to you now, but for future reference, it will be good to know what the manufacturer recommends. That way you'll know for sure the cause and how to prevent a reoccurrence. Cant find anything in the instructions that warn about draining the battery. Hopefully I get a response. Not sure how long ago you started her up and for how long (enough to charge the battery) you let her run. Hopefully with a jump/charge she'll start right up! Keep us posted and I'll let you know if I get a response on my e-mail.
Normagene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 01:24 PM   #18
rexdogg

Drives: 2013 IOM ZL1
don't know about the taillights, but tugging on the wheel my free the key; now, some of my car guys have suggested that, if the car is going to sit during the winter, a battery charger be put on the battery, because......some of the systems in the car carry what they call a parasitic draw on the battery, so....if it sits for a long time, the battery may well be low or dead.....
rexdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 01:29 PM   #19
Deke736
COTW 12/3/12

Drives: 2012 Ashen Gray ZL1
UPDATE: my dad stopped by the house and the battery had ran completely dead. He put it on a charger and was able to remove the key. He left the battery charging, so hopefully it will be full by the time I get home tonight so I can track down where the electrical draw is coming from. He did not check the power wire for the underhood fuse box (though he did remove my power wires for my JDP halos), so that could still be the culprit!
Old 02-06-2013, 01:31 PM   #20
Deke736
COTW 12/3/12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normagene View Post
Looking over all the taillight components, yeah, I can see where they will constantly be using battery power. Fired off an e-mail to the manufacturer and asked what they recommend if the vehicle will not be started for a long period of time. Especially during these freezing winter months. I know that's of no help to you now, but for future reference, it will be good to know what the manufacturer recommends. That way you'll know for sure the cause and how to prevent a reoccurrence. Cant find anything in the instructions that warn about draining the battery. Hopefully I get a response. Not sure how long ago you started her up and for how long (enough to charge the battery) you let her run. Hopefully with a jump/charge she'll start right up! Keep us posted and I'll let you know if I get a response on my e-mail.
Let me know what you hear back. I do not typically store my car for the winter, but I do occasionally go a week or two without driving it. I just have never had an issue with it sitting for that short of period before.
Old 02-06-2013, 01:34 PM   #21
TCAT

Drives: Has Wheels
Im sorry to hear about that man. I've dealt with the same battery drain issues with the Technostalgia lights. As was meantioned in a post earlier, this problem seems to be more common than original thought. A representative from Technostalgia stated that the taillights will eventually drain the car in a relatively short period of time. It seems to be more of an issue if the car is only a "weekend warrior", or pure car show since the car won't be driven nearly as often as a daily driver.

I started a thread on the battery drain issue a few months ago. Definitely check it out when you have time.
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=263174

The only thing that can be done so far (without trying to rig up some sort of switch or ignition wiring) is to just buy a charger. I purchased the CTEK US3300, and used the wiring in the kit to make it a simply plug-n-play application from the post in the engine bay. It's way easier when it comes to where my outlet is located near the front of my vehicle, and I can keep the charger outside of the car on the ground to allow for proper ventilation. Somewhere in my build thread (you'll probably need to search CTEK installation or something along those lines), I have pictures of how I installed everything, and it wasn't hard by any means.

To be honest, just because an owner decides not to use the car as a daily driver, I don't think a battery charger should be needed to keep the battery from dying due to aftermarket taillights. The problem shouldn't occur to begin. However, it is what it is with these Technostalgia taillights. When the time comes, I'll be switching mine out for something else that I already have in mind. Technostalgias aren't worth the hassle, especially since I've had two dead batteries after the installation of the taillights within 2.5 months apart from occurrences.
TCAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 01:50 PM   #22
ZED SLED

Drives: 2017 Mosaic Bk ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldman View Post
Go to your manual and in driving and operating there's a paragraph on Key Lock Release. I have a 2010 and it's on page 8-19. Yours is probably in that area. Hope this helps.
^This, if you have an auto there is a plug on the column under the key you can remove, then stick in a screwdriver and remove the key.

ZED SLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 01:54 PM   #23
DwRed1LTV6

Drives: '11 VR 2LT HHr
Quote:
Thanks! I hope it's a simple fix. Are you in the St. Louis area? I am too- I live in Glen Carbon, IL but work over in Sunset Hills, MO.
Yea i am over in Granite City !

DwRed1LTV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 02:22 PM   #24
Deke736
COTW 12/3/12

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCAT View Post
Im sorry to hear about that man. I've dealt with the same battery drain issues with the Technostalgia lights. As was meantioned in a post earlier, this problem seems to be more common than original thought. A representative from Technostalgia stated that the taillights will eventually drain the car in a relatively short period of time. It seems to be more of an issue if the car is only a "weekend warrior", or pure car show since the car won't be driven nearly as often as a daily driver.

I started a thread on the battery drain issue a few months ago. Definitely check it out when you have time.
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=263174

The only thing that can be done so far (without trying to rig up some sort of switch or ignition wiring) is to just buy a charger. I purchased the CTEK US3300, and used the wiring in the kit to make it a simply plug-n-play application from the post in the engine bay. It's way easier when it comes to where my outlet is located near the front of my vehicle, and I can keep the charger outside of the car on the ground to allow for proper ventilation. Somewhere in my build thread (you'll probably need to search CTEK installation or something along those lines), I have pictures of how I installed everything, and it wasn't hard by any means.

To be honest, just because an owner decides not to use the car as a daily driver, I don't think a battery charger should be needed to keep the battery from dying due to aftermarket taillights. The problem shouldn't occur to begin. However, it is what it is with these Technostalgia taillights. When the time comes, I'll be switching mine out for something else that I already have in mind. Technostalgias aren't worth the hassle, especially since I've had two dead batteries after the installation of the taillights within 2.5 months apart from occurrences.
Thanks man! I have been following your thread hoping the same problem doesn't happen to me. I am still not convinced the tails are the cause of the problem (at least that is what I am telling myself) until I can spend a little time tonight checking everything out. I have had my taillights in since July without a single issue until today, and it has sat for longer periods previously. I am really hoping I just didn't tighten the fuse box power wire down when I was testing the AAC scanner last week and it caused a slow drain over the past week. Worse cast, I will hook up my battery tender during extended periods of sitting.
Old 02-06-2013, 02:25 PM   #25
TCAT

Drives: Has Wheels
Quote:
Thanks man! I have been following your thread hoping the same problem doesn't happen to me. I am still not convinced the tails are the cause of the problem (at least that is what I am telling myself) until I can spend a little time tonight checking everything out. I have had my taillights in since July without a single issue until today, and it has sat for longer periods previously. I am really hoping I just didn't tighten the fuse box power wire down when I was testing the AAC scanner last week and it caused a slow drain over the past week. Worse cast, I will hook up my battery tender during extended periods of sitting.
Very true man, as you may be in luck considering you've had them for long enough with any occurrences before. It may be something incredibly simple like you stated. Good luck and I hope you find it soon!
TCAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 02:35 PM   #26
Normagene

Deke736. Got a fast response, that's good customer service in my opinion. Anyway, 6700x and 6701x always draw electrical current. Approx .090 amperes. If the car is driven once a week, the car battery can maintain enough reserve to start the car w/o any problems. However, 90 milliamps will drain a car battery over a longer period of time. Exacerbated by other aftermarket equipment that require direct battery connections.
For long term storage: 1. Disconnect the negative battery terminal. 2. Use a trickle battery charger. 3. Disconnect the pink wire that goes from the lights to positive battery terminal. 4. Connect the pink wire from the lights to a wire in the car that has constant voltage when the ignition is "on" Note that with this method, the "show" mode will only work when the key is in the "on" or "acc" position.

I like #4, I'll probably connect mine that way, the show mode is no big deal for me. Got this info from www.cool-leds.com if you want to check it out yourself. They do say the "show mode" will engage when the car battery voltage drops below about 90 volts. Hope this helps. Should be posted in the instructions or at least included on a separate sheet of paper.
Old 02-06-2013, 03:27 PM   #27
Deke736
COTW 12/3/12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normagene View Post
Deke736. Got a fast response, that's good customer service in my opinion. Anyway, 6700x and 6701x always draw electrical current. Approx .090 amperes. If the car is driven once a week, the car battery can maintain enough reserve to start the car w/o any problems. However, 90 milliamps will drain a car battery over a longer period of time. Exacerbated by other aftermarket equipment that require direct battery connections.
For long term storage: 1. Disconnect the negative battery terminal. 2. Use a trickle battery charger. 3. Disconnect the pink wire that goes from the lights to positive battery terminal. 4. Connect the pink wire from the lights to a wire in the car that has constant voltage when the ignition is "on" Note that with this method, the "show" mode will only work when the key is in the "on" or "acc" position.

I like #4, I'll probably connect mine that way, the show mode is no big deal for me. Got this info from www.cool-leds.com if you want to check it out yourself. They do say the "show mode" will engage when the car battery voltage drops below about 90 volts. Hope this helps. Should be posted in the instructions or at least included on a separate sheet of paper.
Thanks Normagene! Just to be safe I may follow #4, even if that's not the issue today. I only use show mode every once in a while, so that's not an issue for me. I appreciate your help!
Old 02-06-2013, 03:46 PM   #28
Normagene

Sent them another e-mail specifically on that #4. Asked if I can permanently connect them using that procedure, and will that no longer put a drain on the battery? Let you know what they say. Good job Dad! You must be super happy, and how nice is that, you're able to have Dad come over and trouble shoot. Hope you hand him the keys from time to time and let Dad do a few burnouts! Yeah, I told them that the "show mode" isn't really important to me, can't really think of anytime I would ever use it. I'd be much happier knowing there's no drain on the battery. Plus with the mild to wild and whatever else I connect, lots of juice is being used. I'll have to make a habit of starting her up at least once a week, even if the weather doesn't permit me to take her for a spin.