Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 04-27-2010, 11:53 AM   #29
Dakota Kid

Drives: 2010 2SS/RJT/L99
The Boston Accoustics stereo just plain sucks, IMO. I will replace the speakers with some better ones to see how much of a difference that makes.

This is the worst "upgraded" system I have ever had in one of my cars.
Old 04-27-2010, 12:54 PM   #30
Grimelock2009

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Went GM dealer because of this issue, gave them bulltin number and they ordered two new front speakers and amp. I have had this problem for over 4 months but never had the time to go until today. They also fixed some recalls the car had, something to do the the hvac and the rear spoiler.
Grimelock2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 01:09 PM   #31
geminidreams

Drives: ABM 2LT / RS
Has anyone had a vibration with the dash speaker? I do when I am cranking up the music in my car the bass seems to make it vibrate and I did adjust the eq.
Old 04-27-2010, 07:17 PM   #32
trudawg660

Drives: 2006 Dodge Charger / 2SS IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by geminidreams View Post
Has anyone had a vibration with the dash speaker? I do when I am cranking up the music in my car the bass seems to make it vibrate and I did adjust the eq.
havent had this that problem thank god. there is so many problems with this car right now. but this was something all of us knew. it happens when u buy the first year model. what i dont understand they made so many test vehicles and now those cars had these problems
trudawg660 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 06:02 PM   #33
Dion_1969

Drives: ABM 2SS/RS LS3
Send a message via Yahoo to Dion_1969
I just got mine "fixed" today. I agree with Grdian there is almost no base, way too much mid range and treble. I had to adjust the base up to 9 the midrange down to -9 and the treble down to -3 to get anything close to acceptable sound. I also had to adjust the fade considerably further to the rear. I asked to keep the parts and my dealer told me they had to send them in for inspection. I'm going tomorrow and demanding to see that my speaker was in fact blown. Mine just had a little rattle in the drivers side that sounded more like something loose than a blown speaker. If this is what they call a fix they can keep it!
Old 06-17-2010, 08:12 PM   #34
BlackM6RS/SS

Drives: 2010 Black M6 RS/2SS
Treble at 12. Mid at 4. Bass at 8 Cmon guys!! Mine sounds great and no blown speakers here. 21 while windows up and 24 while down sound good. Oh and Rock helps 97.1 The Eagle hehe
BlackM6RS/SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 09:02 PM   #35
thiggin2

Drives: 05/07 Chevy's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion_1969 View Post
I just got mine "fixed" today. I agree with Grdian there is almost no base, way too much mid range and treble. I had to adjust the base up to 9 the midrange down to -9 and the treble down to -3 to get anything close to acceptable sound. I also had to adjust the fade considerably further to the rear. I asked to keep the parts and my dealer told me they had to send them in for inspection. I'm going tomorrow and demanding to see that my speaker was in fact blown. Mine just had a little rattle in the drivers side that sounded more like something loose than a blown speaker. If this is what they call a fix they can keep it!
Well most of the time it's hard to duplicate a "rattle" from the speaker that a customer complains about. Most of the time we take the customers word for it when it comes to speakers unless its obvious or inop. Type of music/volumn all make a difference. Did you show the adviser the "rattle" you was talking about??
thiggin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 10:38 PM   #36
Dion_1969

Quote:
Originally Posted by thiggin2 View Post
Well most of the time it's hard to duplicate a "rattle" from the speaker that a customer complains about. Most of the time we take the customers word for it when it comes to speakers unless its obvious or inop. Type of music/volumn all make a difference. Did you show the adviser the "rattle" you was talking about??
very late reply/update. To answer the question- no I did not show them the sound I was talking about. I did inform them that it seemed to only happen with certain base frequencies especially base in Jazz.
When I took the car back my service manager was happy to put the old amp back in and said she only had them change out the drivers speaker. My car now sounds as good as before. You can see a clear pattern in the posts about the BA system. Early posts are about how good it is and how much base there is. They also discuss blowing speakers. Around January people started talking about how crappy it is and started pulling their center speaker out. This seems to be when GM put out their "fix" which was the same paper speakers and an amp with much less base too much treble and way too much midrange. A better fix would have been to replace the speakers with ones that could handle the original amp. if i blow a speaker with the new amp ill happily spring for after-market speakers
Old 08-06-2010, 04:51 PM   #37
thiggin2

Drives: 05/07 Chevy's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion_1969 View Post
very late reply/update. To answer the question- no I did not show them the sound I was talking about. I did inform them that it seemed to only happen with certain base frequencies especially base in Jazz.
When I took the car back my service manager was happy to put the old amp back in and said she only had them change out the drivers speaker. My car now sounds as good as before. You can see a clear pattern in the posts about the BA system. Early posts are about how good it is and how much base there is. They also discuss blowing speakers. Around January people started talking about how crappy it is and started pulling their center speaker out. This seems to be when GM put out their "fix" which was the same paper speakers and an amp with much less base too much treble and way too much midrange. A better fix would have been to replace the speakers with ones that could handle the original amp. if i blow a speaker with the new amp ill happily spring for after-market speakers
Well thats cool, glad it got fixed to your satifaction. But understand that it's not the dealership or the techs fault if the parts GM supplies us as part of a bulletin makes the problem worse or doesn't fix it properly. We are only doing what the guys in Detroit tell us to do. Also I do believe I was the one that first looked at and ordered your parts. I only did what the bulletin told me. I also was away at school/training when the parts were put in so another tech put them in. Sorry for the problems but glad its now better for you .
thiggin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 11:19 PM   #38
Dion_1969

I had no issue with the service department. Lynn has been great and she takes care of me every time my car is in. I have had very good service for both my Camaro and the Silverado I used to have. I can't say the same thing for the body shop but thats another tale. I'm just a bit disappointed in the fix GM came up with for the high end sound system we paid extra for. It really did sound like crap. I am a bit picky about sound quality but this thing was like my mothers sound system in her base model 1976 datsun with the 3" paper speakers. It just didnt distort when turned up past a moderate level like dear ol mom's.
Old 08-13-2010, 08:58 PM   #39
vernal

Drives: 2010 2SS ABM 6M;1992 5.0 LX Hatch
I just started wondering about why all the volume in my stereo comes from the front speakers, and when I try to fade it to the back it doesn't seem to be loud enough or clear enough. My favorite sounds in the car come from the exhaust, so I often keep the stereo off, but it looks like I should start to experiment on this situation to see if I have a problem. Camaro5 rocks!
vernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 07:25 AM   #40
13lade

Drives: '11 SIM 2ss/rs LS3 #13363 iom seats
I got a killer deal on a 2010 2ssrs on bay vin#12xxx but it did not have the rear sensors, iom interior, or HUD that I really wanted.... Local dealer offers me a fantastic trade deal which ultimately gets me in an 11 for several thousand below msrp.

So i get my 11 in 2 days ago and and bring it home at 730 pm. The next morning I notice that the BA lost all its low end compared to the 2010. Totally sounds like crap with no kick anymore compared to the 10. I bring it back and have the salesman bring over the 2010. We compare apples to apples with the two cars on the same radio statio at the same volume with the same EQ settings.

Salesman agrees that the rear speakers in the 11 sound like shit compared to those in the 10. Huge loss of bass... A massive hole in the low frequency range.

It sure does not sound like the rears are blown. They do not distort at hight volume, so it must be the amp or head unit then I figure....

Now that I found this thread, i'm betting that they must have downgraded the amp after a bunch of speakers were blown, which means that the dealership would have to do an amp swap between the two cars to get the low end back for me it sounds like :(

I'm taking it in this a.m.... Hopefully it wont be a waste of my time.

Also, I wonder if it is just a screw up with the amp settings from GM... If it was always the front door speakers blowing, then why would the new amp have had such a radically bad effect on the rears?

Last edited by 13lade; 08-21-2010 at 07:39 AM.
13lade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 08:55 AM   #41
13lade

Drives: '11 SIM 2ss/rs LS3 #13363 iom seats
After playing around with the settings on the 11, I think I understand what they did and why.... In order for me to get even close to an equivalent sound out of the 11, I had to put the fader around 10-12 toward the rears, and then crank the volume up to 32. This effectively under powers the fronts and likely minimizes the chances of popping the front speakers.

Obviously this is unacceptable for anyone who was used to getting great sound out of the system with flat Eq at volumes less than 20, but for the majority of people, I guess GM figured the new buyers would accept it as your typical substandard OEM stereo :(
13lade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 09:07 AM   #42
blackknight
Camaro Lover

Drives: 2014 GMC Sierra 5.3L
I rock my boston speakers a lot. they sound great. no distortion.