Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 07-08-2008, 09:24 AM   #29
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattG View Post
The fact that Dragoneye and Tag and Moose and the other mods haven't posted in this thread says to me that they have some inside info but they're sworn to secrecy. (Yeah, I've noticed your little hints here and there Dragon!)

From what we've seen, it seems that the SS is nearly ready for launch. I thought Fbodfather or some other credible source confirmed that there would be a 'Hi-Po' car released 6/9/12/X months after the initial launch. If the SS is part of the initial launch, then clearly the Hi-Po is not the SS. So when people talk about Camaros, the most prevalent option packages are SS, RS, and Z/28. In many past years RS was strictly a cosmetic/exterior appearance package. So, knowing that the Fifth gen is definitely designed and created with previous generations in mind, it seems likely that they would use the pre-existing designations, instead of a new one. Other designations that were not common across all four previous generations are certainly an option, but some don't even make sense (COPO, for example wouldn't make sense as a badge because it was something totally different, not a trim level/option package).

Putting aside which SS's were faster and which Z/28's were faster, BOTH SS and Z/28 are commonly associated with Camaros across almost all generations. As several folks have said, the SS badge has been extended to many different models across the Chevrolet line-up, from the Cobalt to the Chevelle to the Impala to the Monte Carlo. This is simply not a badge that uniquely identifies the Camaro.

While there are other Zed cars like the Z24 Cavalier (*faint*), the Z71 package on K-Blazers/Tahoes/Avalanches/Silverados/etc, of course the Z06 and now the ZR1 on the Corvette and I'm sure several others, the Z/28 badge is uniquely Camaro. If Chevy was to offer a 'Top Dawg', I think the Z/28 is the most likely choice, given what we know today.

Of course it's absolutely possible they're going a completely different direction. But given the other tidbits that have leaked here and there about almost every other detail, I would think if they had some super secret model designation up their sleeve, we would have heard something about it by now. But then again, maybe that's why the mods haven't posted in this thread yet...

I agree with this post pretty much completely I've said it before, but like the previous post already said, SS is not unique anymore. Z28 will always be recognizable to Camaro's nameplate, just like Z06 and ZR1 to Corvette. It is my belief that GM needs to identify with the past (I mean come on; look how similar this car looks to a '69!!!) therefore, in my crazy head, they should pull from tradition a name with identity. We already see an SS looks to be available at launch, and it didn't seem to have the brakes of the latest 'Ring Camaro, so it seems to me, IF there is going to be a higher tier model, it will be Z28, or the like. Although I love the idea of a ZL1 badge, unless this car is a stripped down racer, I think it would be wrong to use that name. I mean come on; the price of that engine option was like greater than the cost of the car itself! I maintain that if there is a second V8 option, with higher performance potential, it will be Z28, or something else.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 12:32 PM   #30
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Quote:
The fact that Dragoneye and Tag and Moose and the other mods haven't posted in this thread says to me that they have some inside info but they're sworn to secrecy. (Yeah, I've noticed your little hints here and there Dragon!)

(That counts as a response!)
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 02:04 PM   #31
MattG
Z/28 or Bust!

Drives: First Camaro: '69 Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post

(That counts as a response!)
I think you just proved me right.
MattG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 02:08 PM   #32
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
I think you just proved me right.
"Never assume, for it makes
an ASS out of U and ME"

Consider this my response.
Old 07-08-2008, 11:38 PM   #33
MAC
Iroc-Z <3'r

Drives: '87 5.7L Iroc-Z
Lol, nice.

"Camaro Z/28 is back. Gentlemen, Don't even bother to start your engines."
MAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 10:17 AM   #34
MattG
Z/28 or Bust!

Drives: First Camaro: '69 Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
"Never assume, for it makes
an ASS out of U and ME"

Consider this my response.
Hehe. We both know that a few months ago, you would have been all over this thread posting. So clearly something has changed since then.
MattG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 04:33 PM   #35
wildpaws

Drives: 1999 Blazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz282003 View Post
I agree with this post pretty much completely I've said it before, but like the previous post already said, SS is not unique anymore. Z28 will always be recognizable to Camaro's nameplate, just like Z06 and ZR1 to Corvette. It is my belief that GM needs to identify with the past (I mean come on; look how similar this car looks to a '69!!!) therefore, in my crazy head, they should pull from tradition a name with identity. We already see an SS looks to be available at launch, and it didn't seem to have the brakes of the latest 'Ring Camaro, so it seems to me, IF there is going to be a higher tier model, it will be Z28, or the like. Although I love the idea of a ZL1 badge, unless this car is a stripped down racer, I think it would be wrong to use that name. I mean come on; the price of that engine option was like greater than the cost of the car itself! I maintain that if there is a second V8 option, with higher performance potential, it will be Z28, or something else.
And of course SS was never "unique" to the Camaro, the first Chevy SS cars were Impalas back to at least the early '60s. So I would certainly agree, I've never thought of only Camaro when SS was mentioned (I think of Impala, Chevelle, and Nova first, then maybe Camaro), Z/28 no question you are talking about a Camaro.
Clyde
wildpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 04:50 PM   #36
radz28
Petro-sexual

Regarding the spy shots of the latest silver SS, it makes me a little suspicious that that was shot on a movie set (if I remember the article correctly). But, if we can assume that that car is content correct, then I think one can rest assured that if there is going to be a Z28 (and we've been told repeatedly to "keep the faith") it would be the top dog. I think that's as good an asumption as we could commit to right now anyways (i.e. whatever base V8 is released in a couple weeks or at Indy).

Just my .02.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
Old 07-09-2008, 05:07 PM   #37
Mindz
E.B.A.H.

Drives: you wild...
Location: In the happy padded room wearing a jacket that makes me hug myself...
OK Dragon, I take back what I said about not wanting to be a mod for the boards. LEMME IN!

Old 07-09-2008, 05:49 PM   #38
Blizzard
Searching for the truth

Drives: 85 K-10, 13 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz282003 View Post
I miss the ZR1 S-10's.

I mean ZR2 lol.

Last edited by Blizzard; 07-09-2008 at 06:02 PM.
Blizzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 06:35 PM   #39
Jiu Jitsu Jon
East bound and down

Drives: 2005 Cyclone Grey GTO (M6)
Quote:
While there are other Zed cars like the Z24 Cavalier (*faint*),
Hey now, I used to drive a Z24...only a 4 cylinder but it sure got better MPG than what I'm getting now. It was a POS, though.
Old 07-10-2008, 12:36 AM   #40
MAC
Iroc-Z <3'r

Drives: '87 5.7L Iroc-Z
Only thing that has stayed 100% true throughout the camaro's life Is the "Z/28", that's what makes it so special, and that's why it should be super special in this generation...'cuz it's like a rebirth..in a way. which imo - is very special.

"Camaro Z/28 is back. Gentlemen, Don't even bother to start your engines."
MAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 04:35 AM   #41
2KZ28_For_Now
SS Shotgun Ride?!??! :-)

Drives: 2000 Z28
Yes, there was an RS/SS model of the first-gen. It was an appearance trim/engine package combination.

The Z28 had a twitchy, high-revving 302 motor which gave the Camaro a lower weight and a beast of a track car. In 1/4 drags, if the "big iron" higher-HP blocks could hook up, not bog down or go up in wheelspin, it ~might~ with a good driver, drive around the Z/28 in a 1/4 mile. This probably happened less often than you might think.

The SS was a bigger displacement, heavier car with much more HP, and better performance numbers.

But, as an overall car, the Z/28, IMO, was regarded as the more "fun" car over the SS.

In fact, the Z28's still command a higher premium in auction over the SS's, from what I have seen.

Only the COPO cars command a higher premium. And it can be argued those weren't truly "production" cars since they were hush-hush "you had to know the code" cars that were limited to very few built units.

The SS may have been more popular, but the Z28 was more revered, as far as I know.

Therefore, disregarding pure HP and other specs, in the grand scheme of things, the Z/28 was "The" Camaro to have.

It was a nervous, twitchy, fun, and dangerous car to drive. It screamed, swayed, barked, and groaned.

The SS, with its bigger bloated iron, was the "hold it in a straight line and wait for the cubes to walk in the end" while hoping your rear tires didnt boil, and hoping it didn't bog while waiting a year for revving through the gears.

So, despite horsepower and displacement, the Z28 should be the "top dog."

And, as others have said - it's a purist Camaro thing. There never was any other Z28 model car, other than the Camaro.

To me, in modern equivalents, the FIRST GEN Z28 Camaro = Z06 Corvette. The SS Camaro = ZR1 Corvette, even though this doesn't jibe with the whole "top dog" theme, nor power estimates.

As what happened in the past, I believe the Z06 Corvette will be better-regarded as "the" Corvette to have in the future, while the ZR1 is a "show-off" car that doesn't really hold as well in the future.

No wonder people are confused!?!?

Some "facts:"

"Available 1969 Chevrolet Camaro Models:

Camaro Base Coupe

Camaro Base Convertible

Camaro RS Rally Sport Coupe

Camaro RS Rally Sport Convertible

Camaro Z28 Coupe

Camaro Z28 RS Rally Sport Coupe

Camaro Indy 500 Pace Car Replica Coupe [X-10]

CAMARO Indy 500 Pace Car Replica Convertible [X-11]

Camaro SS Super Sport Coupe

Camaro SS Super Sport Convertible

Camaro SS RS Super Sport Rally Sport Coupe

Camaro SS RS Super Sport Rally Sport Convertible "

http://www.firstgencamaro.com/1969.html
Old 07-10-2008, 09:37 AM   #42
radz28
Petro-sexual

I LOVE being in the company of true enthusiasts; honestly. The kind of posts I've read in this thread (and many other for that matter) go to show how many people really love this car for more than the looks.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"