Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 12-04-2012, 07:09 PM   #1
Kohdaa

Drives: 2011 Imperial Blue Metall RS Camaro
Lowering springs?

Are lowering springs good to install or should i wait and install coil overs? What are your guys opinions on each one, Thanks.
Attached Images

Old 12-04-2012, 07:26 PM   #2
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
How do you use your car? What are your goals?
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:33 PM   #3
323RSTX

Drives: 2012 2LT/RS Victory Red
I am looking into also. It will be daily driving on country roads "FM" type with a lots of curves. Sway bars too.
323RSTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:48 PM   #4
Apex Motorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by 323RSTX View Post
I am looking into also. It will be daily driving on country roads "FM" type with a lots of curves. Sway bars too.
I am very familiar with the farm roads in Texas. I learned how to drive on those roads.

Coil overs are without a doubt the ultimate option in every way but they are not cheap. A good set of lowering springs will have a firmer ride but will not be hard or harsh in any way and along with sway bars will make those farm roads a lot more fun. If you are not racing or just one of those guys that has to have the absolute best no matter the cost then coil overs probably aren't necessary.
Old 12-04-2012, 10:12 PM   #5
323RSTX

It will be for fun with no racing, it would be great to have coil overs but the only problem is cash. In a month or 2 I will have enough saved up to get lower springs with sway bars. Thank you for the advice. Any suggestion on a good brand of springs & sway bars?
Old 12-05-2012, 05:41 AM   #6
Apex Motorsports

Quote:
It will be for fun with no racing, it would be great to have coil overs but the only problem is cash. In a month or 2 I will have enough saved up to get lower springs with sway bars. Thank you for the advice. Any suggestion on a good brand of springs & sway bars?
I prefer Pfadt and BMR. We have packages for each of them that includes the lowering springs and sway bars and will save you some money. Shoot me a PM or give us a call when you are ready.
Old 12-05-2012, 06:21 AM   #7
323RSTX

Roger that. Thanks
Old 12-05-2012, 07:51 AM   #8
jeremywes

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS
I started out with springs and when I couldn't isolate some strange noises I went to adjustable coil-overs and they are 1000% better. Springs tend to be very bouncy because the shock valving was not design to work with spring rate or reduced travel.

If money is not a constraint I would get coil-overs.
jeremywes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:49 AM   #9
Apex Motorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremywes View Post
I started out with springs and when I couldn't isolate some strange noises I went to adjustable coil-overs and they are 1000% better. Springs tend to be very bouncy because the shock valving was not design to work with spring rate or reduced travel.

If money is not a constraint I would get coil-overs.
A bouncy ride can also be the result of your bushings not being properly "timed" when the springs were installed.
Old 12-05-2012, 04:08 PM   #10
Hotchkis

Drives: 1st through 5th gen Camaros
I would definitely take a look at the springs that we offer. Our springs lower the Camaro by 1" all around, giving it a more aggressive stance, lower center of gravity, and better handling without compromising it usability. We also took factory damping rates into account when designing these springs so that you do not end up with a bouncy ride. Typically a good set of lowering springs will actually have a more stock-like ride than coilovers due to the progressive nature of the springs. So if you are looking for the the best combination of looks, handling, and ride quality, then a properly engineered spring is the answer.

Though you may be only starting with springs now, if you decide to keep modifying your suspension we have all of the parts needed to take your suspension from basic to advanced. All of our products are designed and engineered to complement each other so there is no need to worry that parts won't fit or work correctly like when you mix-'n-match.

Check out what Autoblog (http://www.autoblog.com/2010/03/12/h...r-than-before/) and Road and Track (http://www.hotchkis.net/_uploaded_fi...5thgen_zz1.pdf) think about our improvements to the 5th Gen Camaro.

Last edited by Hotchkis; 12-05-2012 at 04:55 PM.
Hotchkis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 04:11 PM   #11
Hotchkis

Drives: 1st through 5th gen Camaros
Quote:
323RSTX,
If you are looking for a great spring/sway combo then take a look at our Stage 1 Total Vehicle System (TVS). It includes our 1" Sport Lowering Springs along with our adjustable front and rear sway bars.

The spring rates and roll stiffness of the sways are matched together to complement each other perfectly.

Last edited by Hotchkis; 12-05-2012 at 04:56 PM.
Hotchkis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:18 AM   #12
jeremywes

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Chase View Post
A bouncy ride can also be the result of your bushings not being properly "timed" when the springs were installed.
You are correct. I my case I timed my bushings but still found the springs to be too bouncy over bigger bumps and I had no way to adjust. Some folks seem to love em and they look good.
jeremywes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 11:21 AM   #13
Rob@WretchedMS

Drives: His Wife Crazy
the decision for springs vs coilovers is always a tough one.

Springs are less expensive, and easier to install, results are mostly good, but sometimes there are people that are not happy with springs.

Coilovers cost more, a bit harder to install, and rarely does someone not get the result they wanted.

my option on the Camaro would be Coilovers if you can afford it, damping can be adjusted, height can be adjusted, and typically provide superior performance to the stock shocks.
Rob@WretchedMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 01:16 PM   #14
flht99b

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS RJT
Spring, go with BMR 1" drop.
Ed M.
RJT 2SS/RS, AAM 3.70's, MTI Sway Bars, Shifter & SS brake lines, ZLI calipers, rotors & pads, BMR Trailing & Toe Arms, rear cradle & diff bushes, Pedders XA's, Camber/Toe eccentrics, Radius arm inserts, GTO clutch reservoir, LS9 cam, Comp valve springs, Melling 10296 oil pump, CR5 timing chain, LS6 damper, CAI Cold Air Intake, ARH LT headers w/HF cats, GMPP touring axle back, Elite Engineering Catch Can, Forgeline 20x9.5 & 20x11 DS3 whls, 275/40/20 & 315/35/20 tires, 2011 Convertible spoiler, 1LE front spoiler, Lloyd "SS" Floor Mats, GM Camaro Trunk Mat, wrapped console & Grant steering wheel.
flht99b is offline   Reply With Quote