Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Old 02-15-2011, 03:39 PM   #1
OBSSEST

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS RS, Black
Jannetty L99 A6 Tune First Impressions

There's a lot of info in here regarding mail order tunes. After doing what I felt was an adequate amount of research, I went with the SCT X3 handheld with a Jannetty email tune. Most of the threads I've seen indicated first impressions along the lines of "Wow!" but I really didn't have a good grasp on what to expect until I did it myself. Hopefully this writeup will help others make an informed decision.

My car is an L99/A6 with a Roto-Fab CAI.

First, the install is dummy proof. Read the brief instructions and you'll do fine. Having ZERO tuning experience I somehow thought the "flash" process was going to take seconds. It reality it takes more like 10 minutes for the device to copy the stock tune and saying a bunch things like "Unlocking ECU", "transferring", etc. The "REDUCED ENGINE POWER" on the dashboard got my heart up for a sec but turns off at the end of the process..

Installing the SCT software on your computer is a simple 5 minute process. If you know how to attach a file to an email you can handle the delivery of your stock tune to Jannetty with no problem.

Ted must not sleep much. The turn around time to get my custom tune was quick. Follow the directions to transfer the new tune into the SCT X3, plug it back into the car and start the tranfer per the instructions. The transfer IN probably takes more like 20 minutes. The handheld seems to do some checking and verifying of the data before the process is done.

FIRST STARTUP:
The car was cold when I turned the key. It idled unusually smoothly. The tach normally bobbles a little, especially when cold, but the idle this time was silk.

FIRST DRIVE OFF:
When my car is cold, I generally feel feel a few pulses from the motor in first gear until the tranny is warmer. Not today. First gear felt smooth even while cold.

DRIVING:
The shifts are pretty darned smooth. If your wife (or grandma) drives the car, they probably won't notice any difference. But if you drive like a man who owns a Camaro, you'll wonder why the car didn't come like this in the first place. Spirited acceleration is where it's at with this tune. It takes less foot to get the trans to downshift and move you. Full throttle accelerations definitely feel peppier. The tires will spin more from a standstill, even with trac control ON.

I'm still trying to ascertain the axact differences between "Sport" and "D" modes. "D" mode is now useable but the tune seems to bring out the "Sport" in "S" mode. After a few brisk accelerations, I noticed that the trans does this great downshift when you hit the brakes before negotiating a curve in the road. Basically, the trans holds a lower gear with higher RPMs so that when you nail it to come out of the curve you are already in the appropriate gear and the trans doesn't have to jump down 3 gears. With the stock tune, my car has only done this downshift a few times when I hit the brakes and decelerated quickly. It looks like I'll be using the tap shifts alot less since the trans will do much of this for me automatically.

GAS MILEAGE:
I always get 16.9 average mixed hwy/city. I reset the meter after installing the tune. During my testing, I averaged 13.4 due to driving like I stole it. I'll report back on this after a few days of normal driving.

THE BEST FOR LAST:
No more AFM, DOD, 4 cyl. mode, or whatever you want to call it!!!

Even my wife knows what AFM is. When I explained to her what a tune was and that it was going to get rid of that annoying vibration in the pedal when you are going slow, she thought that was great. AFM is a joke. It's a good idea in theory I guess, but when I can see the 4 cyl. vibration in my rear view mirror, I don't think that qualifies as "transparent" or "seamless".

Dear GM:
I love the car, but you tuned it so that it runs like a cheetah on sedatives. Ted seems to have fixed it now, though.
OBSSEST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 06:08 PM   #2
ssmike
BL1ZZRD

Drives: '16 Camaro 2SS, '20 Equinox Redline
Nice write up! Sounds like what everyone else says about his tunes! Have fun!
ssmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 06:28 PM   #3
JProberts

Drives: 2SS RJT RS/Sunroof
I have a L99 A6 also and the tune from Ted really woke the car up as you described, so much so that after adding a Halltech CAI I don't really feel the need for that S/C now because the low end touque is so improved and the response when stepping on it is tremendous now compared to stock.

This was a great mod for this car. Made it feel like a car like this should.

Cheers to Ted!
JProberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 06:54 PM   #4
Camaro54

Drives: Camaro SS2/RS orange/black stripes
OBSSEST, nice note. Ted and his shop are top notch. I drove up from KY to CT to have him do some work on my car and finish with a tune. He is REALLY good. Next time your out and have some room on the road try this. It may prove to be a bit of fun. Put it in the S mode then use your tap shift to down shift to first gear while at a stop. Now you're in M mode. Take off in first gear with medium speed letting the rpms climb. When you hit 5000 rpm tap to second and at the same time press the accelerator firmly to the floor. You may have to pratice a bit on the timing but the back tires will probably break loose causing the ass end to start around. You might find this to be a fun time. Make it a wide road for your first test. PM me and let me know how you do. : )
Camaro54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 08:09 PM   #5
SC2150
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS, RX supercharged
WELL worth the $$, and he has the skill to get it right.
SC2150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 10:00 PM   #6
Buffnshine
So Cal Camaro5 Race Team

Drives: '10 SS/RS, '06 HHR, '70 El Camino
Love my Jannetty tune. Ted is a master, whole different car, especially the A6
TEAM L99 - So Cal Camaro5 Race Team #27
9/5/09 Purchased #36962 Black 1SS/RS L99 "E-TCKT" Base Dyno 328hp/341tq @BBK meet
Mods to Date: Window Tint 5% & 15%, ACC P13W Lighting, Adaptive DRL Harness, Ghost Armor, Lloyds "SS" Mats, Dash Plaque, Flowmaster Outlaw Exhaust, Drake Front Bowtie Delete, Stealth 3457 Chrome/Mirror Signal Bulbs, Grant Revolutions Steering Wheel, PFADT Sport Springs, Sway Bars, End Links, Trailing Arms, 4 Wheel Alignment, Hurst Auto Shifter and Paddle Shifter, Satin Black Rear Tail Light Bezels
Buffnshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 11:47 PM   #7
GJG

Drives: 2SS
Love my Jannetty tune also! Maggie TVS1900, CAI, ARH Headers......it was strong with the stock Maggie tune..... after Teds tune it will pin your ears back......idles smooth as silk.....smooth thru the gears.....she is a beast!
Old 02-16-2011, 12:24 AM   #8
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Too bad I cant get a tranny only tune.
Old 02-16-2011, 12:26 AM   #9
Revo1
Don't Like it? Suggit.

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Nice! Cost?

"Tops off, tach up baby- loud and proud!"
A Camaro lover from day one- 1996 3.8 V6 Camaro, to 1996 5.7 LT1 Camaro Z28, to the sold 2002 5.7 LS1 Camaro SS, and NOW, a [I]6.2 L99 VR 2SS/RS: XS Power stainless full exhaust, Airaid CAI, BMR drop springs and sways, custom tune by Cal Speed- 411rwhp
Revo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 04:17 AM   #10
Scott@Bjorn3D

Drives: Kami, 2013 2SS LS3 Luvin
Send a message via MSN to Scott@Bjorn3D
Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post
Too bad I cant get a tranny only tune.
PQ,

You send him your tune you have now and 300.00 he will send you your tune back + the tranny tune. While he has your tune you can ask him to look at it with your setup and have him tell you if he see's anything odd.
Scott@Bjorn3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 04:18 AM   #11
Scott@Bjorn3D

Drives: Kami, 2013 2SS LS3 Luvin
Send a message via MSN to Scott@Bjorn3D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revo1 View Post
Nice! Cost?
Revo,

You buy the Tuner from him you will get the tune free. The tuner is 399.00 before Camaro5 discount.

http://jreperformanceparts.com/sct-x...10-camaro.html
Scott@Bjorn3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 06:54 AM   #12
thesnoopster

Drives: '17 Fifty SS - '18 Traverse Redline
I did the same SCT tune from Ted and I sure dont have no complaints what so ever....

Its worth the purchase of the SCT Tuner and his tune....Im glad I did it
Old 02-16-2011, 11:29 AM   #13
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott@Bjorn3D View Post
PQ,

You send him your tune you have now and 300.00 he will send you your tune back + the tranny tune. While he has your tune you can ask him to look at it with your setup and have him tell you if he see's anything odd.
Tune Price varies with Mod List, Please send me an email or PM for price quotes on tunes.

Thank You.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 11:29 AM   #14
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott@Bjorn3D View Post
Revo,

You buy the Tuner from him you will get the tune free. The tuner is 399.00 before Camaro5 discount.

http://jreperformanceparts.com/sct-x...10-camaro.html
After the Camaro5 discount.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote