Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 08-08-2010, 05:18 PM   #1
FutureCamaroOwner

Drives: White 1SS/Black Stripes
Will Bluetooth work with steering audio controls?

I bought the part from GM to add steering controls but have heard even after install and update the Bluetooth won't work. Has anyone got it to work?
FutureCamaroOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 05:49 PM   #2
Alaskan SS

Drives: 2010 IBM 2SS/RS w/ M6, sunroof
If I remember correctly (I work remote, and haven't driven / seen my car in almost 3 weeks), the steering wheel controls don't work when you're streaming via Bluetooth. Only if you're plugged in to the USB port.
Alaskan SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 06:16 PM   #3
FutureCamaroOwner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan SS View Post
If I remember correctly (I work remote, and haven't driven / seen my car in almost 3 weeks), the steering wheel controls don't work when you're streaming via Bluetooth. Only if you're plugged in to the USB port.
So how does the car answer the phone? Does it have to be plugged in to the USB port?
Old 08-08-2010, 06:28 PM   #4
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureCamaroOwner View Post
So how does the car answer the phone? Does it have to be plugged in to the USB port?
You're thinking of two different things.

In order to answer a phone via bluetooth you must have the appropriate Onstar box (only available on a 2LT, 2SS, or with the C&C package and can not be bought though a dealer or Onstar) or a Bluestar box (an aftermarket company and it costs about $300).

In order to stream music via Bluetooth you must have the correct PDIM which is available from a dealer of online.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 06:53 PM   #5
Alaskan SS

Drives: 2010 IBM 2SS/RS w/ M6, sunroof
You are exactly right, Mr Draco. Thanks for clearing up my memory on the issue, too...

Alaskan SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 07:53 PM   #6
FutureCamaroOwner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Draco View Post
You're thinking of two different things.

In order to answer a phone via bluetooth you must have the appropriate Onstar box (only available on a 2LT, 2SS, or with the C&C package and can not be bought though a dealer or Onstar) or a Bluestar box (an aftermarket company and it costs about $300).

In order to stream music via Bluetooth you must have the correct PDIM which is available from a dealer of online.
So in other words no phones calls lol. I got the 1LT and bought the PDIM, steering controls, and gauges. Not looking to add the box for and extra 300 just for phone calls. That's better spent on a cai
Old 08-08-2010, 08:29 PM   #7
Brownhornitt

Drives: 2006 White Corvette Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureCamaroOwner View Post
So in other words no phones calls lol. I got the 1LT and bought the PDIM, steering controls, and gauges. Not looking to add the box for and extra 300 just for phone calls. That's better spent on a cai
I bought one on ebay for a little more than $200 after I bought my Injen CAI and Flowmaster exhaust.