Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Old 10-20-2014, 09:13 AM   #365
b4z

Drives: '06 Pontiac GTO M6, '19 F150 2.7TT
Quote:
Originally Posted by DivineStrike View Post
I just want to say two things. One, I am here because I am a fan of cars and have always liked the 5th Gen camaro since it's inception. I also may consider getting a 6th Gen if when I test drive one, I like it more than the mustang I am soon to own.

Two:

Apparently we have confirmation the Base Mustang GT with zero options weighs in at 3577lbs IRL. So a base GT w/ PP and recaro's could easily weigh between 3600-3660. Please discuss your thoughts please.

I know some of you would hate who the source is, just as I question him as well. But I have no reason to believe he would blatantly lie about the weight number he received from whatever race team or whoever he got the info from. I do however question much of his speculation. But if he has real numbers, he has numbers.
3705 lbs is the lightest GT. IRS would be the reason, and the main reason the GTO weighs 3750 lbs and the Camaro 3860. Although the camaro is based off of a 4 door sedan.
b4z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 09:39 AM   #366
Firefighter

Drives: Black '13 2SS/RS/1LE w/NPP/NAV
Quote:
Originally Posted by b4z View Post
3705 lbs is the lightest GT. IRS would be the reason, and the main reason the GTO weighs 3750 lbs and the Camaro 3860. Although the camaro is based off of a 4 door sedan.
What was the GTO based on? I thought it was a Zeta chassis also. IDK much about the GTO though.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old 10-20-2014, 09:46 AM   #367
BobDigi5060

Drives: 97' A4, 08' Mustang, 15' Legacy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik427 View Post
I will have to see this car weighed before I believe it. Just too much false hype about this car.
This, I'm less inclined to believe this base GT weight and the handful of guesstimates that are being made about premium and packaged models... Coming from someone that is certain the 6th gen with a V8 will come in at 4000lbs.

Hey, if he's right about all this I'll confirm wizard status, but I'd rather see it for myself. A Mustang6 owner posted the weight of his car on the scale, and this is all I really need from someone throwing out numbers. I need to see it for myself.

I can't help but LOL @ the tire argument over there. How are we going to swap tires on the Mustang, but not on the Camaro?

Run what ya' brung.
BobDigi5060 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 10:26 AM   #368
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by b4z View Post
No 2015 Mustang GT weighs less that 3705 lbs.
The difference in weight is now just 155 lbs. Mustang's claim to fame since the Fox Body days was that it weighed less than Camaro and also cost less. The weight thing is down to almost nothing and the Mustang is now more expensive.

http://www.ford.com/cars/mustang/spe...ns/capacities/
When fully optioned the Mustang costs more. Base GT to Base SS the Mustang is still cheaper.

GT starting MSRP 32,925 with destination charge

SS starting msrp 34,500
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 10:35 AM   #369
BaylorCamaro
Track > 1/4 Mile

Drives: 2016 C7 Z51
Quote:
Two:

Apparently we have confirmation the Base Mustang GT with zero options weighs in at 3577lbs IRL. So a base GT w/ PP and recaro's could easily weigh between 3600-3660. Please discuss your thoughts please.

I know some of you would hate who the source is, just as I question him as well. But I have no reason to believe he would blatantly lie about the weight number he received from whatever race team or whoever he got the info from. I do however question much of his speculation. But if he has real numbers, he has numbers.
I've been following that thread since post #1 and I'm very skeptical about the weight being that low. IF it really is that low I would think Ford would say something or more people would know. Instead Dave Pericak said the Mustang would shed weight, rather it gained weight (per public records) so if the 2015 Mustang really is that light WHY wouldn't Ford say something, especially after Pericak has been blasted by Ford faithful about the weight gain??
BaylorCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 10:43 AM   #370
big hammer

Drives: 2002 ws6
Tested weights are 3700-3800+ pounds.tjats just what it weighs.
Old 10-20-2014, 11:08 AM   #371
Spoolin

Drives: 2014 SW 1LE
Quote:
Well first off the Recaro is an option, so the car would not be "zero option". And you can't order the Base GT with just Recaro's, it's part of a package. So right off the bat you can't get a car from the factory with just that option, you'd have to do the swap yourself after you get home so would essentially be lightening your car with OEM parts, which is fine but that's called modding. Secondly The Pill is talking about dry weight. Dare him to start the car in that condition and that motor will seize up. Oh wait, there's no gas either.
And thirdly, he's making the numbers up with estimates. I was reading that thread and you made some good points about the actual weight loss of the seats could be. I don't know what happened after you guys took it to PM's but I'm pretty sure he didn't divulge some mysterious proof of a stock GT weighing 3577lbs.
Spoolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 11:40 AM   #372
doc7000

Drives: 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix
Quote:
Originally Posted by rontammy0 View Post
I agree with you...when car companies introduce a new model, the whole idea is to make improvements in design...performance ..and reliability when compared to the model or version they are replacing. It had better out perform your competitions older models as well. It should be able do it bone stock....they have had 5 plus years to compare and develope the car vs the existing model and the competition.
I don't think they have stated when they started to work on the new Mustang at Ford.

When you are producing a new model on an existing platform it generally takes 3-5 years to do. When you are producing a new car on a completely new platform with new engines it can take 8-10 years to design and engineer said vehicle.

As far as what happened to the 2015 Mustang, I heard that in the middle of development Ford decided that this platform will be used to underpin a Lincoln. The result of that is they changed some things and added some things (which added mass) that the Lincoln version would want/need. It is possible that this threw off suspension geometry and changed certain targets and they didn't have enough time to get the car completely dialed in. Instead of delaying it they wanted it to be that 2014 1/4 vehicle in remembrance of the 1964 and 1/4 launch. I hope it isn't that Ford didn't bench mark the Camaro at all when they developed this new Mustang out of hubris. That they saw early on how the Camaro was performing and said no threat there, because if that is the case then a huge blunder it may turn out to be.

At the same time I do not doubt that in upcoming months and years they will make improvements and add new models to the Mustang. After all I think there is a reason that the Mustang track package is now called the performance package (they might have noticed that the 1LE beat it). At the same time if the Mustang GT with the performance package was faster then the BOSS 302 LS then it shows that indeed the 3 test that have been done that the 1LE Camaro is indeed faster around a track then the BOSS 302 LS.
doc7000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 02:07 PM   #373
BaylorCamaro
Track > 1/4 Mile

Drives: 2016 C7 Z51
MotorTrend just released an article. Camaro SS 1LE vs. Mustang GT Performance Pack vs Challenger R/T Scat Pack

CLICK FOR LINK

***Spoiler***

1st: Camaro
2nd: Mustang
3rd: Challenger

No doubt the Ford faithful are going to point that this means nothing since MotorTrend is corrupt GM pays them for their "vote."

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...ck_mustang_gt/
BaylorCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 02:15 PM   #374
doc7000

The new Mustang looks too much like a Mustang so I don't know why they are shocked that no one really noticed the car....

Also the Dodge should have never been in this, Dodge doesn't make a car in the same vain as the 1LE or Gt PP. Much like Ford and Chevy do not make their cars in the same vain as the scat pack.
Old 10-20-2014, 02:49 PM   #375
SpeedIsLife

Drives: Current Camaro-less
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoolin View Post
Well first off the Recaro is an option, so the car would not be "zero option". And you can't order the Base GT with just Recaro's, it's part of a package. So right off the bat you can't get a car from the factory with just that option, you'd have to do the swap yourself after you get home so would essentially be lightening your car with OEM parts, which is fine but that's called modding. Secondly The Pill is talking about dry weight. Dare him to start the car in that condition and that motor will seize up. Oh wait, there's no gas either.
And thirdly, he's making the numbers up with estimates. I was reading that thread and you made some good points about the actual weight loss of the seats could be. I don't know what happened after you guys took it to PM's but I'm pretty sure he didn't divulge some mysterious proof of a stock GT weighing 3577lbs.
Actually according the Mustang Build & Price the Recaro is a standalone option on GT's. You can get a base GT with Recaro's all day long for $1,400.

FYI a true Base GT with an auto and no other options looks to be just over 3,700 lbs.
SpeedIsLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 02:50 PM   #376
SpeedIsLife

Drives: Current Camaro-less
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc7000 View Post
I don't think they have stated when they started to work on the new Mustang at Ford.

Ford stated that design work on the new Mustang began in early 2009, right before the release of the 2010 refresh.
SpeedIsLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 03:45 PM   #377
big hammer

Drives: 2002 ws6
sounds like GM has confirmed that the new Camaro will be smaller, and build on the ATS alpha platform. this gives me hope of significant weight loss.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/...ssis/17599689/

Last edited by big hammer; 10-20-2014 at 03:59 PM.
big hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 04:09 PM   #378
doc7000

Yea, we still do not know what Fords plans are for this new Mustang....

I wonder if the performance package was just to give a bit more performances on the street, and they will release a track pack for the GT Mustang. It is also possible that they don't view the Generation 5 Camaro as the competitor as it is in its last model year before the 2016 model year comes out.

We do not know what the full variations will be for the next Camaro, from what has been supposedly leaked is that the next Camaro is lighter then the current car. However it was stated that they are having issues hitting their weight goal whatever that is, will be interesting.

Also from claimed leaked data the base engine in the 2016 Camaro will be a newer version of the 2.0T engine. It is believed that this engine will also replace the current 272BHP and 295ft-lbs of torque for the Cadilalc ATS. As well as the LFX engine will be replaced with an updated 3.6L N/A engine which will also go into the Cadillac and Camaro. How much power will these engines make? that is up to speculation at this point though I expect the new V-6 to produce more then the current LFX.

However it looks like the I-4 turbo in the Camaro will compete with the 3.7L V-6 Mustang and the 3.6L V-6 Camaro will compete with the 2.3L turbo I-4 engine. Assuming similar price between the two I wonder if consumers would rather have a base cheaper 3.7L V-6 Mustang over a 2.0T Camaro.