Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 05-02-2013, 11:18 PM   #1
con10der
Con10der

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6 IOM Rally Stripes
Hard Wiring Radar and Phone charger units

I have a request from any sparkies out there.

I want to hard wire my Radar detector to a "hot" (always on) power source in my overhead console. Can someone instruct me on this task? Is there a source there to tap into? Can you tell me the color/polarity of the wires I require?

Same question, although for Phone charger and power source from lower center console.

Any input would be greatly appreciated...Thanks!
2010 2SS/RS M6 IOM w/Rally Stripes. BLK CAI w/ADM,WW Relo,2" Kooks,3" Cats-Mids,Vmax Ported TB,Muff Del,Janetty SCT Tuned,Drill/Slot BLK Hawk rotors,Red Grani Brake Lines,Motul 600,IDEAL Master w/res,Moroso CC,Accel Silver Tips w/TVolt 10.4mm,MGW shift w/Retro hand/ball,ABL Kit,Billet/IOM pedals, ZL1 split,Lloyds SS mats,PC Droid4/MAXX docking,HW Solo2.
Pend Install: Launch/Shift Light,BMR Susp/1" Drop/Sways/Track Pack,GM 3.9. Future: Janetty Pumpkin w/PosiTrac,1400HP axl,CF DS,Tick Stage 2 Trans,3 Disc Clutch,4"quad tip,center exit AB w/diff...
con10der is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 07:43 PM   #2
CyberPunk223
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 LS Camaro
It's actually easier to run a power line down to your fuse box for the radar detector and use a fuse tap in than it is to take apart that dumb overhead console. I happened To take apart the overhead console just to put a switch in for my radar detector which was pretty dumb because it wasn't worth the effort.

rather than hard wire a phone charger why not just get a PDIM USB connection so you can charge & play music too?

if you really want there are lots of threads that show how to take apart both of those things.
CyberPunk223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 08:16 PM   #3
mattyjman

Drives: 2013 2SS 1LE
do you have power mirror? if so, you can tap right there.

otherwise, getting the overhead console off is a pain if you haven't done it once before.. it will stump you for an hour, easy...

sounds like cyberpunk has a solid suggestion... dpending on where you mount the radar (i prefer mine higher, others are lower) run your wire around the headliner (windshield if lower), down the a pillar, to the fusebox on the drivers side.
mattyjman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 08:25 PM   #4
ec1990

Drives: 2012 AGM SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberPunk223 View Post
It's actually easier to run a power line down to your fuse box for the radar detector and use a fuse tap in than it is to take apart that dumb overhead console. I happened To take apart the overhead console just to put a switch in for my radar detector which was pretty dumb because it wasn't worth the effort.

rather than hard wire a phone charger why not just get a PDIM USB connection so you can charge & play music too?

if you really want there are lots of threads that show how to take apart both of those things.
I used the drivers side fuse box Inside the cabin. Just used a tap a fuse connector for that and a dash cam. Works like a charm, ran it up the a pillar and headliner.
ec1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 08:27 PM   #5
Meister

Drives: 2016 Corvette Stingray Z51
Quote:
Originally Posted by ec1990 View Post
I used the drivers side fuse box Inside the cabin. Just used a tap a fuse connector for that and a dash cam. Works like a charm, ran it up the a pillar and headliner.
Did the same for my V1. There is a pretty good DIY write up for that posted here somewhere.
Meister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 08:52 PM   #6
CyberPunk223
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 LS Camaro
I just look up the PDIM, it costs more than I though It did, by the time you get your HU flashed your into it almost $200... it's hard to justify spending that much for a phone charger. there are lots of other USB interface devices, PAC makes a bunch of them,, they are cheaper but quality may not be as good.
CyberPunk223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 02:55 AM   #7
Aubrey64

Drives: 2010 Camaro LLT/RS
This is how I did mine, I made a DIY thread on it. It works perfectly for my iphone, feel free to PM me if you have any questions

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=282062
Old 05-11-2013, 04:15 PM   #8
Camaroshark

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS RJT, 6speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by con10der View Post
I have a request from any sparkies out there.

I want to hard wire my Radar detector to a "hot" (always on) power source in my overhead console. Can someone instruct me on this task? Is there a source there to tap into? Can you tell me the color/polarity of the wires I require?

Same question, although for Phone charger and power source from lower center console.

Any input would be greatly appreciated...Thanks!
I did the mirror tap wire for the powered mirror. I'm using the passport ... through for the DIY for the mirror tap wire and hard wiring the radar detector