Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 10-08-2014, 08:59 AM   #43
el ess A
Older Than Dirt

Drives: 2010 & 2013 Camaros
While I agree with others about getting foreign objects OUT of the engine if at all possible, keep in mind the idea may be for the OP to get ASSISTANCE in searching for it if the valve cover has to come off.

If the mechanical experience level is low enough to not anticipate the foil incident, then what may be a simple task of valve cover removal to some may be a huge undertaking for those with lesser mechanical skills. Know your limits and know when to ask for help is key in vehicle maintenance.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=26108&dateline=142898  4774
el ess A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 09:18 AM   #44
Rocky1974

Drives: 2010 RJT 2SS M6 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisherssmoke View Post
Changed the oil today and I happened to purchase the 5qt jug which has a foil coating under the cap. Long and short of it is that a pretty good size piece of the foil went into the engine. I would say 1/4" by 3/4" strip. Whats the worst that can happen? Should I change it again and hope it comes out…fat chance right! Where might it get caught up in. Damn!
As has already been said, you've got a V8. The oil filler tube goes directly into the valve cover. From there the oil drains into the crankcase through oil drain back passages at each end of the cylinder head. Remove the valve cover and hopefully you will find it on top of the cylinder head. If it made it farther down, it will require a major engine teardown to remove it. If it made it all the way to the oil pan, and you start the engine, it will be to big to pass through the screen on the oil pick-up. But if it gets sucked up against that screen and it's big enough, it could partially restrict the oil flow to the oil pump, which could potentially cause engine damage.

Good luck and ignore all these naysayers who shouldn't have been changing your own oil. If this had happened at Jiffy Lube, you would find out about when your dealer denies your warranty claim because they found it on your oil pick-up screen. Jiffy Lube would just deny it and you would be stuck paying for a new engine. Trust me, this is the voice of experience speaking and I will NEVER let any one else change my oil again!
2010 RJT 2SS M6, Kooks Long Tubes, NPP Exhaust, CAI Cold Air w/Jannetty Scoop, RotoFab Washer Bottle, Elite Engineering Catch Can, MGW Shifter w/ZL1 Shaft and Knob, 2015 SS Sedan Steering Wheel and Air Bag, 2012 Heater Hose Conversion, 2012 Power Seat Conversion, RS Head Lights,Gen5DIY RS Conversion Harness, LED Fog Lamp Bulbs, Backup Camera Kit, NLP Spoiler, SLP Splitter, ZL1 Rockers and Diffuser, Color Matched Shark Fin, RS Roof Mouldings, Painted White Stripes, WCC LS3 Emblems, Heritage Grille and Blacked Out Tail Light Panel w/Retro SS Emblems, 416 RWHP, 411 RWT, Tuned by BlueCat.
Rocky1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 09:32 AM   #45
Rocky1974

Drives: 2010 RJT 2SS M6 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by myold88 View Post
X2- Buy a $40,000 car and and change your own oil. Makes no sense to me...
You've got it backwards. If you've got $40,000 to buy a car you should have sense enough to not let one of those teenage grease monkey wanna-bes touch it.
2010 RJT 2SS M6, Kooks Long Tubes, NPP Exhaust, CAI Cold Air w/Jannetty Scoop, RotoFab Washer Bottle, Elite Engineering Catch Can, MGW Shifter w/ZL1 Shaft and Knob, 2015 SS Sedan Steering Wheel and Air Bag, 2012 Heater Hose Conversion, 2012 Power Seat Conversion, RS Head Lights,Gen5DIY RS Conversion Harness, LED Fog Lamp Bulbs, Backup Camera Kit, NLP Spoiler, SLP Splitter, ZL1 Rockers and Diffuser, Color Matched Shark Fin, RS Roof Mouldings, Painted White Stripes, WCC LS3 Emblems, Heritage Grille and Blacked Out Tail Light Panel w/Retro SS Emblems, 416 RWHP, 411 RWT, Tuned by BlueCat.
Rocky1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 09:45 AM   #46
FilibustaRhymes

Drives: SS
Quote:
Quote:
I bond with my car every time I drive it, wash it, detail and wax it, etc.
The rest I leave to a professional. Life's too short imo.

Buy a $40,000 car and do your own detailing? Makes no sense to me. Leave it to a professional, life's too short.

FilibustaRhymes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 12:01 PM   #47
LuSe4

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by FilibustaRhymes View Post
Buy a $40,000 car and do your own detailing? Makes no sense to me. Leave it to a professional, life's too short.

LOL! I thought the exact same thing.
Old 10-08-2014, 12:02 PM   #48
Lacpac

Drives: 2012 Crystal Red Tintcoat RS
Honest mistake. Can happen to anyone. I still wouldn't trust anyone else but myself to do my oil changes. I once left two gaskets on the oil filter on my Dodge. Made a nice mess on floor.
Lacpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 12:07 PM   #49
nyrfan
Let's go Rangers!

Drives: 13' AGM 2SS/RS L99
Quote:
With some of the things you post I honestly wonder how anyone can take you seriously .
Old 10-08-2014, 12:18 PM   #50
TPAJETSKI

Drives: Camaro
OP, that was my worst nightmare back in the day. I would always cut the foil off and make sure I pulled it completely off. Look to see if you can shine a light down the filler tube and see it. You may be able to gently fish it out.

I remember the days of doing my own maintenance and repairs. Oil changes, alternators, heater cores, valve cover gaskets, brakes, radiators, etc. I didn't do it myself because I enjoyed it, I did it because I couldn't afford to pay a professional to do it and I needed my car for work. Now, I take it in for everything.

Having said that, I'd love to find a decent third gen firebird to tinker with as a hobby. Taking my time, doing it right, and not trying to get it bolted back together in a rush because I have to be to work in the morning.
TPAJETSKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 12:36 PM   #51
Wizard1183

Drives: ABM SS2/RS M6
Send a message via Yahoo to Wizard1183
Quote:
I bond with my car every time I drive it, wash it, detail and wax it, etc.
The rest I leave to a professional. Life's too short imo.
Since when does it take a professional to change oil? I can get a monkey to that for me lol. Unfortunately, I don't have any monkeys. Obviously you know NOTHING about mechanics which is why you take it to a "professional." I prefer to change my own oil. Not only do I save money, but I know its done right. And the time its take for someone else to do it? I can do it.

So tell us all, what exactly are you doing with your time while you bring it and WAIT for a professional to change it that so important? I'm curious.

Life is short, drive it like you stole it!
Wizard1183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 12:40 PM   #52
Pluto

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS
so did you ever get the foil out? I would hope you didnt start the car after you knew about the foil going into the head...

Small, but effective mod list:

Roto-Fab Intake, TSP 2" Long tubes, TSP catless mids, MSD spark plug wires, stock catback, Elite Catch Can, APEX washer relocation and scoop, VMAX throttle body, Diablo InTune-Tuned by Matt@FSP, and a JacFab license plate bracket.
Pluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 12:47 PM   #53
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Drives: 13' ZL1 Red M6
Well if you just poured the oil with out starting I'd just get a scope if fish it out.

Otherwise the valve cover should be removed.

Happy hunting.
Roto-Fab Intake, WW Res. kit & Big Gulp Air Scoop, Elite Catch Can, ATI Super Damper & 18% OD Pulley, LF Idler pulley bracket, Metco CC breather, ID850 Injectors, Stainless Power Headers w/ ceramic coating, TR71X Spark Plugs, JMS Fuel Pump Booster, Bo White TB, Tuned by Ted @ Jannetty Racing, Ron Davis HX, D3 Reservoir, Pfadt 1" Springs, Moreno Camber Plates, ZL1 Addons Splitter guard washers, Tow Hook kit & rock guards, Hurst Shifter Billet Plus 6 Speed Short Shifter, ZL1 DRL lighting harness, ZL1 Recaro Seats.
KaBoom1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 12:53 PM   #54
USMUCL

Drives: 2014 Red Camaro 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacpac View Post
Honest mistake. Can happen to anyone. I still wouldn't trust anyone else but myself to do my oil changes. I once left two gaskets on the oil filter on my Dodge. Made a nice mess on floor.
LOL that happened to me too! My wife's brand new Grand Cherokee years ago. Did the first oil change and didn't realize the first oil gasket stayed on the car. Put the new one on.

After finish and start up, it took just a few seconds to realize that oil was spraying all over the brand new car and the garage floor. Luckily, I shut it down before losing more than a couple quarts.

But, man, what a mess! Not the only person I know that has done this either!

There before the grace of God go you and I . . .
USMUCL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 12:54 PM   #55
jewel25
Mother of PWA Babies

Drives: 2011 RJT 2LT/RS
Only on C5 will you see one thread on telling a person they should have taken their car to a professional and then another thread telling a person they should always do the work themselves.
Old 10-08-2014, 01:06 PM   #56
CCMADONNA

Drives: 2014 SW 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by jewel25 View Post
Only on C5 will you see one thread on telling a person they should have taken their car to a professional and then another thread telling a person they should always do the work themselves.
LMAO!!!!!!!!!

2014 2SS/RS VERT L99
SUMMIT WHITE
AIRAID CAI
BORLA ATAK CAT-BACK EXHAUST
ELITE ENGINEERING CATCH-CAN
RANGE AFM-DELETE MODULE
HUPER OPTIK 40
CHROME PEDALS
PREMIUM FLOOR MATS
PREMIUM CARGO MAT
DEDICATED 32GB iPHONE HD