Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 01-21-2013, 12:04 PM   #15
K32 Camaro
V8 lounge member #5

Drives: 12 2SS Synergy Camaro, 05 PontiacG6
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlingShot View Post
Does it feel better running in sport mode ? When it's in Drive, the trans starts in 2nd. When it's in Sport it starts in 1st gear and should feel much better.
I'm pretty sure this theory is false and disproven by many many shops.

Quote:
Originally Posted by San2cci View Post
I always drive in sport mode; it still occurs often...usually around 28-32mph but it does happen around other MPH.

Is it true that the car skips 3rd gear and goes from 2nd to 4th also?
I think you're talking about skip-shift which is a feature for the manual cars.

You're experiencing the time it takes to come out of 4 cyl mode and then down shifting to a managable gear for the car to speed back up. AKA crapy factory tranny tune mixed with afm..
K32 Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:27 PM   #16
cam62

Drives: 2012 IBM Vert 2SS/rs
Quote:
Originally Posted by K32 Camaro View Post
I'm pretty sure this theory is false and disproven by many many shops.

I think you're talking about skip-shift which is a feature for the manual cars.
Agreed

Quote:
You're experiencing the time it takes to come out of 4 cyl mode and then down shifting to a managable gear for the car to speed back up. AKA crapy factory tranny tune mixed with afm..
Not sure I agree with this. AFM has been debated here ad nauseum and I don't think we still have a good answer from GM or anyone.

The reason I question this is because to the best of my knowledge from everything I've read here and elsewhere is that AFM is NOT on in manual mode using the tap shift. There's a lot of debate about whether it is actually on in sport mode also, but this isn't an AFM thread.

What I CAN say, is that even when in manual mode, using the tapshifters, if I let the RPM's in any gear other than first (most commonly in 3rd) and the rpm's drop below approx 2k, then lightly giving it some gas it does the bog down thing the OP is talking about until the rpm's go above approx 2k.
Old 01-21-2013, 12:34 PM   #17
Sky

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT RSky Edition
Can't say too much for your questions but, WELCOME!
Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:51 PM   #18
camarorange

Drives: IOM Camaro 2SS
Are you sure you are not just experiencing the lag in the drive by wire system and the time it takes to downshift from whatever gear you are in?
camarorange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 01:01 PM   #19
cam62

Quote:
Originally Posted by camarorange View Post
Are you sure you are not just experiencing the lag in the drive by wire system and the time it takes to downshift from whatever gear you are in?
speaking for myself. Yes. In manual mode using the paddle shifters there is no downshifting. It will stay in the gear selected until manually changed. (exception - when decelerating and the rpm's get to low it will downshift to keep from bogging down).
Old 01-21-2013, 01:04 PM   #20
camarorange

Hmmm interesting. Maybe it is because this is the only real performance car I have ever driven (Im 18) but I didn't notice that it bogs down
Old 01-21-2013, 01:07 PM   #21
camarorange

On second thought I think I know what the OP is talking about. It only ever happened to me while I was driving in D so I always just attributed it to the fact that the tremec transmissions really are not the greatest.
Old 01-21-2013, 01:10 PM   #22
cam62

Quote:
Originally Posted by camarorange View Post
Hmmm interesting. Maybe it is because this is the only real performance car I have ever driven (Im 18) but I didn't notice that it bogs down

hehe.. when I was 18 I didn't know you could drive a performance car with a light touch either
Old 01-21-2013, 01:14 PM   #23
camarorange

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam62 View Post
hehe.. when I was 18 I didn't know you could drive a performance car with a light touch either
Hahaha you gotta pull away from the house first ya know?
Old 01-21-2013, 04:24 PM   #24
K32 Camaro
V8 lounge member #5

Drives: 12 2SS Synergy Camaro, 05 PontiacG6
Quote:
Originally Posted by cam62 View Post
Not sure I agree with this. AFM has been debated here ad nauseum and I don't think we still have a good answer from GM or anyone.

The reason I question this is because to the best of my knowledge from everything I've read here and elsewhere is that AFM is NOT on in manual mode using the tap shift. There's a lot of debate about whether it is actually on in sport mode also, but this isn't an AFM thread.

What I CAN say, is that even when in manual mode, using the tapshifters, if I let the RPM's in any gear other than first (most commonly in 3rd) and the rpm's drop below approx 2k, then lightly giving it some gas it does the bog down thing the OP is talking about until the rpm's go above approx 2k.
Did you make sure that you changed gears first? Just entering tapshift is not enough to disengage afm, you must actually change the gear that you were currently in to disable it. In sport mode afm is still active btw.

If you get a tranny tune and get rid of afm as well, this lag w/o a doubt goes away.
K32 Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 04:48 PM   #25
cam62

Quote:
Did you make sure that you changed gears first? Just entering tapshift is not enough to disengage afm,
Yes. Tried all sorts of combinations

Quote:
If you get a tranny tune and get rid of afm as well, this lag w/o a doubt goes away.
Yes I am sure of this. Not ready to void my powertain warranty yet.
Old 01-21-2013, 09:19 PM   #26
San2cci

Drives: 2013 silver ice metallic ZL1
The chevy dealer service advisor told me that the AFM and gear skipping/lagging goes away but only if you have 40%+ throttle...anything under that, the AFM is still active.

What I do know is this really isn't the best idea GM has had. If I wanted better fuel economy I would have bought a 2LT. I guess next time I'll get a stick
San2cci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:26 PM   #27
oldfriend

Drives: Fiat 500 E
Quote:
Originally Posted by San2cci View Post
@ K32 Camaro

I do have a cold air intake; and it didn't really help much...I'll do a ported throttle body just for the hell of it though see if it helps. I didn't know a tune voids the power train warranty, that sucks!!
Try to duplicate that when in S ( sport drive ) and see what happen .
oldfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:35 PM   #28
San2cci

Drives: 2013 silver ice metallic ZL1
Duplicate what?
San2cci is offline   Reply With Quote