Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Old 03-22-2013, 09:40 AM   #1
OmniCamaro
US Veteran

Drives: 2011 Silver Ice Metallic 2SS/RS A6
My initial iTSX experience(FYI)

I just wanted to share this. Maybe someone will find it helpful.

I received my iTSX from JRE this afternoon. I immediately went to my PC and registered the device and checked for software, even though it does not say anywhere to do this(I'm "experienced(aka old)" enough by now to do these things). I found the Device Updater software and proceeded to use my smarts to update the "dongle". **This is the very first thing you should do upon opening the box by the way!** These steps are left out of the box completely(JRE & SCT). The user manual comes with the iTSX APP and I recommend anyone that purchases it go ahead and read through it, before doing anything to your car. But something it doesn't tell you anywhere is that when the dongle LED's are flashing RED/BLUE(purple-ish looking) it means all is good and the dongle is connected to your device of choice. With the dongle updated I proceeded to the stock file upload steps. Not sure what happened but during my stock file upload(probably something I did!) my car went nuts(normal?) and the upload status just stopped. I waited a few minutes(5-10) and decided to call SCT(freaking out at this point). I didn't do/touch anything while on hold(30 minutes) waiting for a Rep. Once online with the Rep we tried several things to no avail. It was just not acting correctly and kept giving bad info. After about 30 minutes on the phone he informed me the GM guy was gone for the day and to call back in the morning. I told him ok but I just couldn't accept it, I had to do something. I proceeded to (again) reset the dongle and delete it from my iPhone. I then disconnected the dongle(which is one there VERY tight) and then disconnected my negative battery terminal for about 30 minutes or so( I remembered reading this step somewhere here on C5!). Reconnected the battery and started all over, slowly and patiently, following the on-screen & JRE directions very carefully. This time everything went perfect and I got the stock file to JRE. Very scary for a while but it all worked out. I'll be sure to call SCT today and let them know my status.

*update- Just received my tune back from Ted, I'll give impressions as I'm able!
**tune installed--the shifts feel great and the AFM/DOD is GONE! Seems to run and drive much smoother! Hats off to tuner Ted!
On a side note, all the SCT tunes that came with the device are now gone. I'm working with Ted to get those back as we speak. SCT said to "re-enable strategy tuning" in the custom tune, or something like that. I'm sure Ted will fix it for me.

##edit--Just wanted all those that will get this that the process VIA bluetooth is very slow, just be prepared. I'd say it took a good 20-30 minutes for the whole upload stock process. I'll reply back on the tune uploads for time comparison.
###Update--the process for applying a tune is just about as slow, 15-30 minutes. I was able to clean my whole car before it was finished!
Ask any questions any time, I may be able to help out if anyone get's stuck or lost.

Last edited by OmniCamaro; 03-22-2013 at 04:28 PM.
OmniCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 01:13 PM   #2
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Thank you sir, good info.

Ted.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 04:29 PM   #3
OmniCamaro
US Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JANNETTYRACING View Post
Thank you sir, good info.

Ted.
And Thank You sir for the Mod!
Old 03-22-2013, 05:55 PM   #4
JCar23

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS RJT
I'm getting ready for spring thaw and getting my car out too and bought SCT ITSX tuner from Jannettyracing.

Yesterday I paired it with my ipad and saved my stock tune and e-mailed to Ted last night. Worked great. Ted got my custom tune back to me this morning, so this afternoon I attempted to load it. I downloaded the tune to my ipad, saved it the app. But when I went out to load it on my Camaro, I plugged the tuner into my OBDII port but my Ipad couldn't connect to the device. Ted had my forget the device on my ipad and try to pair it again but no luck there. When I plug the tuner into the port, the tuner doesn't even light up, as if it doesn't have any power.

So I decided to disconnect everything and start up my car to make sure it still ran... it did. But I noticed the OBD indicator light stayed on.. I'm hoping a fuse is blown causing no power to power the tuner from the OBD port and causing the light to stay on. I looked at the fuses in interior of the car but they appeared to be fine. I read there is a box in the trunk and under the hood. Before I try to get to the ones in the trunk, anyone else have this problem? Sent a message to Ted too, but maybe he will read this over the weekend to give me a tip. Or I can call SCT also. And I'll do some more searching on the web.

Thanks!
JCar23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 10:51 PM   #5
OmniCamaro
US Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCar23 View Post
I'm getting ready for spring thaw and getting my car out too and bought SCT ITSX tuner from Jannettyracing.

Yesterday I paired it with my ipad and saved my stock tune and e-mailed to Ted last night. Worked great. Ted got my custom tune back to me this morning, so this afternoon I attempted to load it. I downloaded the tune to my ipad, saved it the app. But when I went out to load it on my Camaro, I plugged the tuner into my OBDII port but my Ipad couldn't connect to the device. Ted had my forget the device on my ipad and try to pair it again but no luck there. When I plug the tuner into the port, the tuner doesn't even light up, as if it doesn't have any power.

So I decided to disconnect everything and start up my car to make sure it still ran... it did. But I noticed the OBD indicator light stayed on.. I'm hoping a fuse is blown causing no power to power the tuner from the OBD port and causing the light to stay on. I looked at the fuses in interior of the car but they appeared to be fine. I read there is a box in the trunk and under the hood. Before I try to get to the ones in the trunk, anyone else have this problem? Sent a message to Ted too, but maybe he will read this over the weekend to give me a tip. Or I can call SCT also. And I'll do some more searching on the web.

Thanks!
The only thing I can think of to do is disconnect the dongle from the car and take it to a computer. Download the updater software from SCT HERE(look on the left side of the page and click the icon/download link. It's the top one. The bottom one is used for datalogging). Connect the dongle to the computer and let it install itself then run the updater installer and run the program once installed. Update the device and start all over. Delete the pairing(iTSX device) from your iPad in the bluetooth section and also hold the reset button on the dongle for 5-6 seconds and release(this clears any pairings!). Now plug it into the car and pair it to the iPad. Once paired you can open the iTSX app and do it to it.

Let me know if you need any help(PM me!).
Old 03-22-2013, 10:52 PM   #6
OmniCamaro
US Veteran

Original post updated!
Old 03-23-2013, 07:40 AM   #7
JCar23

Thanks for the tip. I unplugged my battery overnight and tried again that didn't help. I also tried the above and my device is up to date and I also deleted the pairing from my paid and reset the device. No luck. I also check visually almost all of my fuses, even those in the trunk and they look fine.. I'm assuming the problem is with the tuner and hopefully not my car! But I'm running out of ideas. I'll e-mail Ted and also SCT this weekend and hopefully I can get some tips from them Monday or more input on here. Thanks again for the ideas!
Old 03-23-2013, 08:01 AM   #8
JCar23

I also just tested whether or not I could pair the tuner with my ipad while the tuner was plugged into my laptop. And I could. So I went out to try again in my car but it doesn't see it. I would say then that either the OBD port isn't powering the device and then I don't know what to do about that, or there is something wrong with the connector on the device that plugs it into the ODB port.
Old 03-23-2013, 12:20 PM   #9
Crashnburn7

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
My initial experience was the same. Of course it was a saturday evening and no one was available to help as I freaked out. After calming down, A firmware update and unpairing and repairing did the trick. Got my tune from Ted, and still waiting for this awesome connecticut weather to change to spring so I can install the CAI / Scoop / and washer relocate..
Crashnburn7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 05:54 PM   #10
OmniCamaro
US Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCar23 View Post
I also just tested whether or not I could pair the tuner with my ipad while the tuner was plugged into my laptop. And I could. So I went out to try again in my car but it doesn't see it. I would say then that either the OBD port isn't powering the device and then I don't know what to do about that, or there is something wrong with the connector on the device that plugs it into the ODB port.
Strange indeed! I can't imagine why the vehicles port would be on a fuze to begin with. So when you plug in the dongle up to your car no lights come on the dongle at all? If not then its definitely the port. Do you see the light when its plugged into the computer and you have your iPad connected via Bluetooth? The difference there will tell you if its the car or not.
Old 03-24-2013, 06:13 PM   #11
JCar23

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmniCamaro View Post
Strange indeed! I can't imagine why the vehicles port would be on a fuze to begin with. So when you plug in the dongle up to your car no lights come on the dongle at all? If not then its definitely the port. Do you see the light when its plugged into the computer and you have your iPad connected via Bluetooth? The difference there will tell you if its the car or not.
Correct, nothing lights up on the dongle plugged into the car. Like I said, it did the first night I had it allowing me to get my stock tune. Next day nothing. No fuses are out, cigarette lighter has power. I also tested the OBDII port on the car and it is getting 12.5 volts. That makes me believe the tuner device is not working correctly. I have some messages into JRE and will try to call SCT first thing tomorrow also. I'm wondering if I just should have got the old style SCT tuner.
Old 03-25-2013, 05:55 PM   #12
JCar23

Itsx update

Talked to Sct several times today. Finally they suggested I test it and plug it in on another car to see if it lights up. I did and no luck, device didn't light or power up. So they had me call JRE to exchange. They didn't have a problem with that so it's on the way back to them. Hopefully I will get a defect free one back soon! 50 degree weather is on the way!
Old 03-26-2013, 10:38 PM   #13
boostedsix

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS Vert
Every single experience and test you did I also went through last week. Your itsx is junk, I sent mine back and got my new one Friday. Did the update, uploaded the stock tune fine, finally. Thought my troubles for 2 weeks were almost over, got my new tune and it keeps giving me error codes it will not even try to upload it. Disconnected battery repaired with I phone pulled on star fuse same thing. Finally tried to upload a sct tune and worked fine. So it just won't upload the custom tune, hopefully we can get it figured out tomorrow. It makes it so hard not to have tech support when I'm not at work. I'll keep you guys updated.
Old 03-27-2013, 12:15 AM   #14
Redemption
Just Because!

Drives: 2010 SIM 2SSRS
Well I'll add mine here also...

My 2nd itsx (1st one bricked) is dead now also.

I've had it, these things are awful. Gotta find a new way to tune I guess.