Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 07-23-2009, 07:09 PM   #15
OUR72GTO
2010 SIM Beige RS 6M

Drives: SIM RS 6M 66 Corvair Silverado LTZ
After 2 weeks when I Jump back in the Accord Coupe it feels like a go cart. Lots of room in the 2010 and that includes elbows. (6.2 and 260)
Old 07-23-2009, 07:28 PM   #16
matt787

Drives: 2LT RS M6 CGM IO interior!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddydog View Post
I have had but one test drive in a Camaro. It almost felt like a little cave. My daily driver is a Mazda3 hatchback. I found a HUGE blind spot out the driver's side rear in the Camaro. Took me forever to merge onto the freeway trying to decide if anyone was there or not. Elsewhere, visibility seemed OK.

Any owners bothered by the big blind spot?

Rob
When I test-drove one, I was also rather alarmed at not being able to look over my left shoulder to see traffic. I adjusted my mirrors beforehand and this helped a lot (go to cartalk.com to learn how to properly adjust mirrors). But coming from an 06 civic with huge mirrors and great outward visibility, I Think this will be the hardest thing to get used to. Camaro's side mirrors are not that big (but I prefer form over function, even in this aspect), but when adjusted correctly, help a lot. Just keep your situational awareness and watch out for bikes in your blindspots...
2000 = Accepted By GM: 8/4/09
3000 = Accepted By Production Control: 8/5/2009
3300 = Scheduled For Production: 8/21/09, TPW 8/31
3400 = Broadcast: 8/27/09
3800 = Produced:
9/3/09
6000 = Delivered to Customer 9/21/09
matt787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 07:41 PM   #17
stovt001

Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
If you're saying it has no visibility issues, I can't help but feel you're either a Camaro apologist or have only ever had cars with very poor visibility. Make no mistake, visibility out of the Camaro is compromised, although I don't think it is anything that can't be overcome.

Front visibility for me was mostly hindered by high corners. It felt an awful lot like a Corvette, as another poster mentioned. I think this will be the biggest concern for me, since it does make placing an apex difficult, and I plan to race my Camaro on road courses fairly often. I'm 5'8, so the short windshield didn't bother me as much as some other people. I can see how if you're tall the view forward might actually be blocked by the ceiling and mirror.

Side visibility wasn't really a problem at all. Despite being 5-8 (apparently short for this group) the belt line just didn't strike me as being all that high. Higher than average? Sure. Uncomfortably high? Not at all. Large side windows helped, but the rear 3/4 windows are what you'd expect in a coupe. They seemed just slightly smaller than my Cobalt's. The mirrors were fine and I'm unconcerned about blind spots.

Rear visibility is another problem area. The trunk is high, so you'll have to be really careful backing up. Backup sensors will help here, but not if you're dealing with children behind the car or cross traffic. As one magazine suggested, clearing the area with a reverse burnout is your best option. Also, I can see a really low car tailgating you becoming invisible. Couple that to fantastic brakes (one of my favorite Camaro features) and I see rear-ending collisions becoming a problem.

All-in-all, the visibility is certainly compromised, but you can deal with it. I am keeping my Cobalt as a daily driver though, just so I don't have to deal with that compromise all the time.

There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
shining at the end of every day
There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
Just a dream away
stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 07:46 PM   #18
EKG

Drives: Right now....a Honda CR-V
Quote:
Originally Posted by bballr4567 View Post
There are NO blind spots in ANY car if you adjust the mirrors properly.

http://www.linquist.net/motorsports/tech/mirrors/

http://www.motorists.org/blog/how-to...-view-mirrors/
Thanks for posting those man! Great articles...never really thought about positioning my mirrors as such!
EKG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 07:57 PM   #19
bob2the2nd

Drives: CGM 2LT RS
for the last 8 years I drove around an olds alero (dont laugh its a very fun car to drive around excellent handling nice engine), which is basically the same outline as the camaro (i believe the camaro is 4-6 inches wider). here is a break down of the differences (i actually just drove the alero on monday and tuesday for the first time in 3 weeks since getting my camaro)...

visibility in the camaro. flat out, its limited. Basically you can see directly in front of you and directly behind you, for everything else you better have those mirrors adjusted properly. My alero i could see EVERYTHING. with properly adjusted mirrors i could basically double check any view i wanted with a small head turn. the camaro doenst have that. you absolutely have to have your mirrors adjusted properly to see everything. that said if you do have them adjusted properly there will be no problem.

additionally this car just seems BIG. As i said earlier the alero and camaro are basically the same overall size (height, width, length) however the location of the drivers seat in the camaro really makes you focus on the width of your turns. For me it took a week-10 days before I really could hit a parking space (still drift inside a bit), but much better than it was. the length and height of the hood makes tight turns really interesting because you really cant see the front of the car at all so you are just trusting you will be okay

here is a story. I jumped back in my alero on monday and to me it felt like a very small car. I could see everything, every turn seemed much sharper, it went from a sedan to a sports car. the alero in comparison turned on a dime... but. with the camaro it could really handle the corners much much better. when i would get onto onramps and roll around them the camaro can really come and and out of them no problem. with the alero which is sporty itself just couldnt take the G force.

make no mistake you feel like you are in a cockpit with this car (because you are) but with everything adjusted properly you will not notice it after a couple of days.. at least till you jump in another car.

1100: 11-29-08
6000: 6-29-09
cracked windshield: 7-1-09
1000 miles 7-4-09
windshield replaced: 7-9-09
2000 miles 7-10-09 (yep 2000 miles in 11 days)
3000 miles 7-16-09
4000 miles 7-30-09
bob2the2nd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 08:18 PM   #20
SS_in_Black

Drives: 2SS Black over Inferno Orange
I went from an 08 Cadillac CTS DI to the Camaro. I don't notice a huge difference in visibility other than the rear view when backing up. The Cadillac has the same kind of trunk line but is easier to backup as it has the backup sensors. Adjust the mirrors correctly and it's really not bad.
Old 07-24-2009, 04:01 PM   #21
Camaro21

Drives: SOLD - 2013 M6 ZL1
When I ordered my new Camaro, I haven't even seen the car in person. I am a big guy, (6'4", 285 lbs.) I sat in a 2LT w/Sunroof at a local dealer last weekend. The salesman said the battery was dead (but they probably disconnected it) so I couldn't adjust the seat where I would like it. I had originally ordered a 1SS/RS LS3, with sunroof. Since I sat in the car last weekend, I had the salesman remove the sunroof option (just don't think I would fit). Are there any other Big and Tall people that can confirm whether this made the difference for you?
Camaro21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 04:41 PM   #22
Brokinarrow

Drives: 2012 Honda NC700x
Came to this from a Ford Focus. I test drove a few Camaro's before I got to mine, so I think I was used to it and knew what to expect, but the decreased visibility definitely is not a problem any more (had her for a week n a half now). If you properly adjust your mirrors to better cover your blind spots, you won't have any issues. And it definitely doesn't feel claustrophobic in anyway (unless you really ARE claustrophobic, then i dunno).
Old 07-24-2009, 05:12 PM   #23
Augie1978

Drives: 2011 2SS RS Vert
Grew up on a farm driving 2 ton grain trucks at age 13, had to just use the morrors on those trucks. It just takes some getting used to driving the Camaro compared to other cars and its not that bad really. I havent had any problems with anyone trying to pass me! Just be aware of what is going on around you just like they taught you in drivers ED in high school.
Old 07-24-2009, 06:19 PM   #24
"prima"Donna
HWAY STR

Drives: 2010 RJT VIN#7085 & 2014 CRT C7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brokinarrow View Post
Came to this from a Ford Focus. I test drove a few Camaro's before I got to mine, so I think I was used to it and knew what to expect, but the decreased visibility definitely is not a problem any more (had her for a week n a half now). If you properly adjust your mirrors to better cover your blind spots, you won't have any issues. And it definitely doesn't feel claustrophobic in anyway (unless you really ARE claustrophobic, then i dunno).
I am claustrophobic ...that being said, the Camaro is not an issue at all for me...I'm 5'6", so I had to raise the seat and lower the steering wheel to see over the dash and hood of the car...

I have always used my driver and passenger mirrors when changing lanes, and this car is no different...I do recommend getting the small "blind spot" mirror for the driver's side...I've always used those and they should be standard equipment by now on every car...it helps a lot...

I got used to the "cockpit" type interior quite quickly...I'm still getting used to the larger size of the car and knowing how close I am parked on the right side and backing up...I feel more and more confident the more time I spend driving this car...

It is also the most comfortable car I've ever had...

Hope my feedback and perspective on this car helps anyone who has any doubts...

BTW, I ordered this car having never seen it, sat in it, or driven it...it was a GIANT leap of faith, and this car did not disappoint.............
"prima"Donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 06:53 PM   #25
kanys

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Used to SUVs, so when I first got in the car I was like wow this is weird, not sure if I can get used to this. But after about 2 days I really started getting a feel for it, and now each day I feel more one with the car. Yes at first it takes some getting used to but once you are comfortable in it this car is great!
kanys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 06:57 PM   #26
wyocamaro

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS, 2-2007 Silverados
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro21 View Post
When I ordered my new Camaro, I haven't even seen the car in person. I am a big guy, (6'4", 285 lbs.) I sat in a 2LT w/Sunroof at a local dealer last weekend. The salesman said the battery was dead (but they probably disconnected it) so I couldn't adjust the seat where I would like it. I had originally ordered a 1SS/RS LS3, with sunroof. Since I sat in the car last weekend, I had the salesman remove the sunroof option (just don't think I would fit). Are there any other Big and Tall people that can confirm whether this made the difference for you?
6'2, 190. sunroof. Have to lower and lay back and sit right to keep the head from hitting. Any taller, and definately no on the sunroof. But depends on your torso height too
Otherwise, no issues. Wife as a passenger would like to be able to raise the seat, but that is the only issue. Lookiung at trying to put a drivers side with the controls swapped on the passenger side.
Old 07-24-2009, 07:31 PM   #27
JewelZ
Just Lovin' My Camaro!

Drives: CGM 2LT/RS/AUTO
You own the road when you are in this car. Do not worry people will watch you, just hit the pedal nd fly.

Ok now all jokes aside. There is a slight issue for people who use the 'head turn' a lot to see over there shoulders. Just adjust your mirrors and keep those 'head turns' limited and once you can use the head turn and the side mirrors well enough together it will all come into play that there are no blind spots. I'm used to the cockpit with my '02 mustang as my frist car at age 16. Also had a '06 civic which had exceptional visibility strengths and 07 mazda 3 hatchback. So the only real issue is sharp turning, and reversing.

NJHKKM $29,965.00 1EH37 1100 03/28/2009 AFF, B34, DCP, FE9, GBV, LLT, MX0, SGC, UQA, WRS, 2LT

50 YEARS FROM NOW, DON'T YOU WANNA BE ABLE TO LOOK BACK AND SAY YOU HAD THE GUTS TO GET INTO THE CAR!?!?

ORDER STATUS : 6000 as of 08.18.2009. VIN# 33,985!!! His name is 'GOLIATH'!!!

GOT MY CAR!!!! AND I LOVE IT!!!!
JewelZ is offline   Reply With Quote