Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Member Car Journals

Old 01-18-2012, 06:18 PM   #1
Infinite-T

Drives: 2011 1LT RS RJT
Infinite-T's "Narya" build thread.

I am just starting this build thread now, after almost 5 months after buying the car. I don't remember the exact dates I did all these previous mods or the exact order I did them in. There are briefly presented here as reference and perhaps to the amusement of others. Feel free to use any ideas you like, most of them I got from other members here. The only thing I think I have done origional so far is the door kicks and sills, then again I could be wrong. I have many more mods coming, and may add too the postings here already if I need to clarify, edit, or is someone asks me good questions on something that I feel I should have better described.

When I decided to buy a Camaro I had a fairly specific idea in mind. I knew I wanted a 1LT with the RS package and I wanted the RJT or IBM color. When the dealer down the road got one in, I knew I had to have it. I wanted the V6 because this is my only car and my daily driver. So the combined fuel savings, initial car cost, and insurance seemed more practical for something I may end up driving 100+ miles a day some times. Add to that, I dont have a carport or garage at the moment to park a more expensive treasure in. I decided to save money on the 1LT package so I could put that money into doing my OWN upgrades, choosing my own colors and such. I am going mostly for look and comfort, but also a little bit of a punch added to the butt dyno.

So, on August 16, 2011, I went down to pick up the car. It is a 2011 1LT RS RJT six speed built in March 2011. I am a bit of a Tolkien (The Lord of the Rings/Hobbit guy) geek. So I decided to name the car, "Narya". Few may know that Narya is the name of the ring of fire in those stories. The word Narya means "fire jewel" in the language if the Elves. It was worn by Cirdan and later given to Gandalf in the Second Age.

The very first thing I did was have the windows tinted. I decided on 15% for the back and two small side windows and 20% for the driver and passenger door windows. The legal limit here in WA state is 35% but it is not usually enforced. At the percentages I chose, it is dark enough to look good and obscure all but a silhouette of anyone inside, and is less likely to draw the attention of Police.

I started reading a bunch of threads here on Cam5 and saw that people were painting the tail light bezels, which I thought would look much better on the RJT than the chrome. So that simple cheap mod was the next one I did. It looks awesome, cost about 5 bucks and took a total of 2 hours or so on a satraday.

Once that was done, I was so happy with the Matte black on RJT look, I decided then that would be my exterior theme. So I planned to add Matte rally stripes, black fuel door, vent gills, black badges, etc. That is still a bit in the works, but will happen over time... piece by piece.

Another ealy on mod I did was add red LED footwell lights. I did this mod in my last car with blue lights, but I knew this time it had to be red. Since the outside there was going to be Red with black highlights, I decided the inside should be black, with red highlights (and a bit of silver). So red it is. The LED strips were purchased at Auto Zone for about $15 and just tapped into the dome light circuit. Easy as pie and looks good. I did something simular to the trunk light. I also plan to add a red LED light strip and button to the glove box.

I am also a BIG tech geek. Although the stock stereo is pretty nice and feature-full, I needed nav, HD radio, DVD, backup cam etc. So I added the Metra dash kit, a JVC DVD/NAV head unit that has built in Sat and HD tuners and hooks up to my Boyo back up cam. Installation was a bit more involved and the Metra kit isn't perfect, but it fits my needs well, maybe I will tweek the Metra kit when the weather gets better and I can work on it more.

Another early mod was of course, a CAI. Not only does it add a bit more aggressiveness to the engine sound, and quicker throttle response, but it also gets rid of that big plastic MONSTER of a stock air box. Looks and function FTW.

Continuing with my RJT/Matte exterior theme, I had Rally Stripes added. I was really suprised how much they changed the look of the car. I purchased the stripes online from Ryder Graphix and had them professionally installed by a local shop.

I also recently added a few more interior mods that not just look good, but will protect sensative areas of the interior. These are the Defenderworks black door sills and door kicks, I found a very good deal on them around Christmas. Normally they are fairly expensive. But they are good quality. My wife helped me add some cool custom touches!

Winter is perfect time for cosmetic mods because I can work on the parts indoors, then run out and install them on a half way decent day. In early Jan 2012 I painted up a GM strut brace and the fuse box cover and slapped them in. When I got the brace it had some minor dings and scratches in it. I got some 400 grit sand paper and my Makita sander and spent 15 minuts bringing it to a smooth perfect surface, then primed it, sanded the primer, 3 coats of RJT paint, and 3 coats of clear. The fuse lid took 2 coats of primer, 3 coats of RJT and 2 coats of clear. They both turned out perfect. Now if only they had fully painted the engine compartment at the factory...

I have done a few other small mods that I havent put up here yet, and have more coming... slowly. Work has been kinda slow lately, so I need to watch what I spend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synner View Post
If you'd rather drive a civic that eats your soul than a camaro that eats your wallet then thats your choice.

Last edited by Infinite-T; 01-18-2012 at 07:54 PM.
Infinite-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 10:44 PM   #2
Infinite-T

I recently added Defenderworks gill inserts and a vinyl trunk strip. Still taking it slow because of work, but it's coming together bit by bit. In the next month or so I am hoping to add a VMax ported TB, an I.M. insulator, fender gills, and RJT dash/door panels.

By summer I hope to have added the GM GFX kit (flat black) and the MRT V.2 exhaust, and maybe a few other goodies if work picks up! I hope to get to a show or two this summer!

Until then:

In addition to the trunk stripe I am currently painting the rear bowtie. The chrome trim with flat black and the gold inlay with be RJT.

The gills look good, I am thinking of the Defenderworks black fuel door too..

Quote:
If you'd rather drive a civic that eats your soul than a camaro that eats your wallet then thats your choice.

Last edited by Infinite-T; 02-12-2012 at 11:14 AM.
Old 02-10-2012, 10:49 PM   #3
Jaime068
Treasure Coast Camaro 5

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT/RS RJT
Brings back memories ...that's how I started out and I cant stop modding! lol..Looks good
Old 03-13-2012, 07:46 PM   #4
Infinite-T

I recently added a handful of small mods in the last couple weeks. A little thing here, and a little thing there. I really need to get myself a decent digital camera, all these pic are done on my phone. Sometimes they turn out OK, sometimes they look like crap.

I got my Defenderworx black powdercoated fuel door put on. I think it looks pretty good and when I get the black ground effects i think it will look a bit more "in place".

I also finally finished my blacked out bowtie and stuck it on between rainstorms. Gotta love these NW winters/springs. My wife put the vinyl on for me, she is really good at stuff like that. I recently ordered a set of black fender letters to replace the chome ones. Once I get some time and the weather is decent, I will slap them on!

One of my favorite mods so far, you cant really see, but it made a big difference in performance. I installed a ported throttle body from Vmax. It made a huge difference in low RPM power/torque. There really seems to be more punch in the 2000-3000 RPM range. The picture above is of the stock TB I removed when I put the Vmax in. I wasn't thinking to snap a shot of the ported one.

Along the same lines as the ported TB, I ordered the Vmax Black Ice-olator. Basically it is a thick gasket made out of some funk space age material (they call black ice) that sits between your heads and your intake manifold. While I had her open, I port matched the heads to the gasket. Another fairly simple mod that you can't see, but certainly can feel. Like the TB, there is a noticable amount of added pull in the lower/mid RPM range 2500-4500. This combined with the Vmax TB really woke the car up on the low end. Most performance mods have the highest benifit at the highest RPMs. But most of the time, we arent driving around town at red lines, so that much added punch in the 2000-4500 range is right where you'd notice it most! I surprise myself from time to time when I give her an extra nudge at a light or jumping on the freeway. This is my number one favorite performance mod to date!

On order from RPI I have RJT painted dash and door trims. WHen I have the door panels off, I hope to be able to upgrade the crappy "premium" Boston speakers with some times Kappas or Alpines!

If all goes well, in the next month or so I have a "big" mod planned. I'm not sure yet what but it will be, something like the ground effects or full exhaust upgrade (headers, cats, catback) or some other body mod. So much I want to to, but so much responsibilty demanding my time and money!

Quote:

Last edited by Infinite-T; 03-13-2012 at 07:58 PM.
Old 03-14-2012, 11:38 AM   #5
Jaime068
Treasure Coast Camaro 5

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT/RS RJT
Go for exhaust next, it really wakes up the tone of your car!! I can't wait to get my black ice and TB as well.
Old 03-14-2012, 01:35 PM   #6
cyberLS

Drives: 2010 Cyber Grey LS
like all the black touches you added very nice thus far
cyberLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 01:43 PM   #7
Infinite-T

Thanks for the compliments! I am just about to pull the trigger on a set of the Solo Catbacks. I think down the road I am going to add the ZL1 side skirts and rear difuser, then put some quad tips on the solos.

Quote:
Old 03-18-2012, 01:50 PM   #8
2010 SSRS

Drives: 3 V8 Camaros
very nice mods, looks great
Old 03-18-2012, 06:06 PM   #9
camaro_RS
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: A lot of show, not much go.
Nice work, man! Love the door sills and kick plates!!

camaro_RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 06:25 PM   #10
Infinite-T

Thanks guys, I just ordered some goodies today. I hope to get them and instal them soon.

-Solo Performance cat back
- Solo Performance high flow cats
-Dynamat bulk pack (to line the trunk and under the passenger seat)
- Infinity Kappa 3way door speakers
-RJT dash and door trim

I'm going to be tapped out for a bit after all that. But in the future I hope to add
-Eibach suspension kit. Springs sways bushings
-Hurst short shifter
-ZL1 rockers and defuser
-some kind of modded front end
-Katskinz leather seats
-Phantom grill
some kind of single sub set up.

Quote:
Old 03-18-2012, 06:40 PM   #11
KidKilowatt

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT RS
You will love the Solo Cat Backs, just had mine installed last weekend, along with the CAI intake.
2011 LLT RS Black on Black Loaded. [x]Showstopper 45th Anniversary inspired Camaro RS Stripes, [x] MPD1 Spoiler, [x] GM Heritage Grille. [x] Removed RS and Bowtie Emblems. [x] 30% Tinted Headlight Armour DRL's. [X ] Ruff Racing R954 Wheels [X] Solo Cat Back Mach X-LLT Exhaust [X ] Vmax Ported throttle body [x] Halo SC Reverse Hood Kit [x] Showstopper Painted, Modded Engine Cover [x] Cold Air Inductions CAI [x] Tinted Tails and Black Bezels [x] Megan Racing Street Series Coilovers [x] Belltech F&R Sways
Check out my build thread!
http://camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=212178
KidKilowatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 07:36 PM   #12
aquablueL99
Jackson's COTW

Drives: 1968 Camaro & 2010 Camaro 2SS
Tint!!

I love all you have done to her, but looking at the start and going through your build, if we would have to stop with simply doing a tint, the Camaros in this thread would look outstanding. There is just something about doing a tint!!!...

Nicely done...
Old 03-18-2012, 08:02 PM   #13
Infinite-T

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablueL99 View Post
I love all you have done to her, but looking at the start and going through your build, if we would have to stop with simply doing a tint, the Camaros in this thread would look outstanding. There is just something about doing a tint!!!...

Nicely done...
I agree, just the tint alone was a big improvement. I think I am going to be buying a real digital camera soon, so I will be able to take good pictures! No more crappy cell phone pics!

Quote:
Old 03-28-2012, 09:02 PM   #14
Infinite-T

Monday evening I heard the dog barking and my stepson when to the front door. He said, "Hey, there is a big ass box on the porch"! when I walked to the door, the UPS guy was bringing another big-ass box up the driveway! On the side of the boxes was printed in black 'Solo Performance' YAAAY.

I lugged them inside and popped open the boxes. Inside were my set of hi-flow cats and cat back exhaust system, dare I say, they where lovely. Being a craftsman myself I can appreciate great workmanship when I see it.

My wife had been calling around to a handful of local shops to find a place that could get me in soon. We have a PNW rally this weekend and I wanted them on in time for that. She found a place just a few miles up the road that could take her in tuesday afternoon! On my way to work on the bus I was looking at reviews of the place to make sure they would do a good job. They had nothing but glowing reviews, so I was happy. The only problem was that, my appointment was at 3:30pm, just after I usually get home from work. BUT my wife was going to be working quite late and have her large SUV with her. The problem would be how to get all this stuff to the shoppe! Her and I spend a good half hour wrapping all the pieces with packing paper and carefully squeezing them into the back of the Camaro. Yes, you can carefully fit the cats, X pipe, and tailpipes into a camaro with the back seats down without causeing any damage.

So, I got it all to the shoppe and they got to work! Here is a shot of Narya on the lifts getting her biggest mod yet! I had the seems welded rather than using clamps, all except the J-pipes of course. The installer said it was one of the nice kits he has worked with and that it was refreshing after endless dealing with "Ebay fart cannons"

After a few hours of "watching" TV court shows in the waiting room, they came in and told me she was ready to go! They had to cut the old exhaust in pieces much like the Solo one came so I could fit them back into the Camaro the same I had done.

So off I went. It was only a few miles from the shoppe to home, but it was incredible. The sound and feeling, was like a whole new car! I got her home and snapped a shot of her from behind, no more ugly trash cans sticking out below the difuser, and the tip nearly fill the holes!

I unpacked the old system and laid it on the front porch, for the first time I got a reall good look at it. It sounded just like it looked, a wimpy pile of shit!

I had my wife take her and drive her up the cul-de-sac and around the corner so I could get a good idea of what they sound like. Startup has a definite wrrrooom to it, idle is fairly quite, with just a nice low purr to it. She did a moderate take off and headed up the street. HOLY CRAP, it sounded like a roaring lion goin in for the kill. It wasnt abnoxiously loud, like a ricer, or a nascar or anything, but a nice, refined roar. I cant really put into words the sound that it has. Does it sound like an 8? Well, not any * Ive ever heared, but it doesnt sound like any other 6 ive ever heard either. Like I said, just a nice refined ballsy tone, no rasp, no rice.

The next morning I left for work at 4am. My wife told me, for the first time, she actually heard me leaving. Not like a loud annoying way, but she could tell that there was indeed a "badass car starting up and driving off down the street".

So, thats it. My biggest mod yet, now done. I havent had the chance to take her out and really run her the paces and feel what kind of difference the Hi-flow cats made, and really open her up at WOT. But I would say, so far I am 100% happy with my purchase and would certainly do it all over again!

Another small mod I did the other day, I took the chrome fender letters off and put on the black billet powdercoated ones I bought. They look damn good, and one more small step towards getting my final look.

So thats it for now, that was a BIG purchase, so the next mods will likely be smaller and cheaper, but soon!

Quote: