Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 10-18-2013, 02:34 PM   #1
Ambush
Rawr!

Drives: Giulia Quadrifoglio, C8 Stingray
Question: Firearms and Camaro boots

Anyone here from New Jersey?

I got into a discussion with a friend, about storing firearms in the vehicle's trunk.

long story short, guns should be secured in a box/container in the trunk, and the driver can't access it from the cabin.

this means the rear seat must be locked and can't be folded down.

can you...lock the rear seat upright in a camaro?

thoughts?

Retired:
2018 Garnet Red Camaro 2SS
2014 Crystal Red Camaro RS
Ambush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 02:44 PM   #2
Blu Ray
ALWAYS-N-BOOST

Drives: 2021 ZLE A10
Send a message via AIM to Blu Ray Send a message via Yahoo to Blu Ray
you cannot lock the seat in an upright position, therefore if your pulled over with guns in your trunk unsecured you will be going to jail

2012 1LS M6 Black-Sold
2013 2LT M6 BluRay- Sold
2015 1SS 1LE M6 Black-Sold
2021 ZLE A10 Riverside Blue - Awaiting Arrival 01/10
Blu Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 02:46 PM   #3
blazzin1

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS R6P
Does NJ issue concealed carry permits? If so, that seems like the logical solution.
blazzin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 02:51 PM   #4
aggieguy13

Drives: 2013 SS/RS VR 1LE
I believe you may be wrong on that.

Due to the castle law. Anything that is allowed in the hole is allowed in your car as it is an extension of your personal property. As long as the weapon is secured and out of site it is legal. IE glove box. U might check though. But I know that's what I was told and where I keep mine. Bit I have a CHL so I have a little more freedom with it

2013 SS/RS 1LE VR-Backup System, SOLO Perforsance HF Cats, Muffler Delete, BBK Off-road X-pipe
2002 35th Aniversary SLP SS-Sold
aggieguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 02:51 PM   #5
RollaMo

Drives: 2017 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu Ray View Post
you cannot lock the seat in an upright position, therefore if your pulled over with guns in your trunk unsecured you will be going to jail

Or buy a convertible.
The rear seat back on a convertible does not fold forward.
No way into the truck from inside the car.

There is a key lock just behind the side bolster on the drivers side rear seat, that allows you manual access in the event of electrical failure.
And since it is a keyed cylinder, that should satisfy the "locked requirement"?
2015 Harley Davidson Ultra Limited
RollaMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 02:52 PM   #6
Blu Ray
ALWAYS-N-BOOST

NJ May Issue to Residents and Non-Residents
Issuance of the permit is almost completely discretionary, (HOW MUCH $$$$ YOU HAVE) and New Jersey courts have upheld the policy of strictly limiting permits “to persons specifically employed in security work . . . and to others who can establish an urgent necessity for carrying guns for self-protection (VIRTUALLY IMPOSSIBLE)

2012 1LS M6 Black-Sold
2013 2LT M6 BluRay- Sold
Old 10-18-2013, 03:00 PM   #7
Blu Ray
ALWAYS-N-BOOST

All firearms transported into the State of New Jersey:
* Shall be carried unloaded and contained in a closed and fastened case, gunbox, securely tied package, or locked in the trunk of the automobile in which it is being transported, and in the course of travel, shall include only such deviations as are reasonably necessary under the circumstances.
* The firearm should not be directly accessible from the passenger compartment of the vehicle. If the vehicle does not have a compartment separate from the passenger compartment, the firearm and ammunition must be in a locked container other than the vehicle’s glove compartment or console.
All firearms transported through the State of New Jersey:
The following guidelines are provided in order to assist law enforcement officers in applying New Jersey’s firearms laws to persons who are transporting firearms through the State of New Jersey.
1. New Jersey laws governing firearms permits, purchaser identification cards, registration and licenses do not apply to a person who is transporting the firearm through this State if that person is transporting the firearm in a manner permitted by federal law, 18 U.S.C.A. 926A.
2. This federal law permitting interstate transportation of a firearm applies only if all of the following requirements are met:
A. The person’s possession of the firearm was lawful in the state in which the journey began;
B.The person’s possession of the firearm will be lawful in the state in which the journey will end;
C. The person is transporting the firearm for lawful purpose
D. The firearm is unloaded
E. The firearm is not directly accessible from the passenger compartment of the vehicle
F. The ammunition is not directly accessible from the passenger compartment of the vehicle
G. If the vehicle does not have a compartment separate from the passenger compartment, the firearm and ammunition must be in a locked container other than the vehicle’s glove compartment or console;
H. The person is not
1. a convicted felon
2. a fugitive from justice an addict or unlawful user of drugs, or
3. an illegal alien
I The person has not
1. been adjudicated to be a mental defective
2. been committed to a mental institution
3. been dishonorably discharged from the armed forces, or
4. renounced his United States Citizenship
3. A person who is transporting a firearm though the State of New Jersey in the manner permitted by person’s possession 18 U.S.C.A. 926A, see Section II above, need not give notice.
4. Procedures for Investigation of Conduct Involving the Possession or Transportation of Firearms
A. An officer who reasonably suspects that a person is transporting a firearm in violation of New Jersey law should make reasonable inquiries in order to confirm or dispel that suspicion.
B. In a case where circumstances reasonably indicate that the person’s possession and transportation of the firearms my be permitted by 18 U.S.C.A. 926A, the officer should make reasonable inquiries in order to determine whether the person’s possession is permitted by that federal law.
C. If reasonable inquiries lead an officer to conclude that the person’s possession is lawful under either New Jersey law or 18 U.S.C.A. 926A, as described above in Section II, the officer should promptly allow the person to proceed.
D. Whenever an officer has probable cause to believe that a person’s possession of a firearm is in violation of New Jersey law and not permitted by 18 U.S.C.A. 926A, as described above in Section II, then the officer should make an arrest.

2012 1LS M6 Black-Sold
2013 2LT M6 BluRay- Sold
Old 10-18-2013, 03:03 PM   #8
Camaro2ss2013

Drives: 2013 2SS Camaro
Why live in a state where you can not protect yourself and family? NJ has the 2nd strictest gun laws in the country. They also don't have a constitutional amendment affirming the gun rights of its residents. Good luck getting a CCW in NJ.
Camaro2ss2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 03:16 PM   #9
Ambush
Rawr!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro2ss2013 View Post
Why live in a state where you can not protect yourself and family? NJ has the 2nd strictest gun laws in the country. They also don't have a constitutional amendment affirming the gun rights of its residents. Good luck getting a CCW in NJ.
some of us don't have a financial ability to leave nj yet :(

i'm guessing blu ray is a law enforcement officer. we have a few officers from scotch plains that come to our clinic.

Retired:
Old 10-18-2013, 03:27 PM   #10
Camaro2ss2013

Drives: 2013 2SS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan23 View Post
My advice is to MOVE. You're being robbed and I guess you say "wait I need to get my gun out of a locked box in my truck". Good luck with that.
Exactly!
Camaro2ss2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 03:29 PM   #11
jkchambless
Austin LT

Drives: 1LT - Airaid,JBA Axleback,VMax PTB
It should be easy enough to add a slide lock inside the truck to secure it from the passenger compartment.
jkchambless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 03:34 PM   #12
Fogey

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS A6, IOM
Live in L.A.

Was told by a LEO that when I drive to the range, for example, I must have my guns in a locked box. If the box is in the trunk it's OK. If the box is in an SUV, (no trunk),it must be in the rear of the vehicle. He said the purpose was to force me to stop my vehicle, open the trunk or rear hatch, then unlock the box, giving a LEO time to pull his/her weapon. (And shoot my sorry ass).
I suspect having the Camaro seat not locking would still give them time as I am trying to crawl into the back seat, pull down a seat etc.
Fogey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 03:35 PM   #13
warren3537

Drives: 2019 Red Hot ZL1 1LE: 2012 RAM 2500
It is nice to live in a state that allows you to carry a loaded weapon in your vehicle and said vehicle is an extension of your home plus car jackers can be dipatched on the spot if they try to take your vehicle without your permission or consent.....
warren3537 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 03:40 PM   #14
Ambush
Rawr!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkchambless View Post
It should be easy enough to add a slide lock inside the truck to secure it from the passenger compartment.
truck? :3

my only car's a camaro

Retired: