Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 02-04-2008, 05:32 AM   #29
Sterling

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT/RS M6
I was driving to work in a snowstorm last week in my Honda and I was following a Mustang over the Bourne Bridge going on to Cape Cod, MA. It has a pretty good arch to it and traffic was moving really slow. I was spinning pretty good because I didn't have much momentum to keep me going and my car is front wheel drive. What really surprised me was the fact that the Mustang in front of me didn't seem to be spinning at all. I saw him just a little bit here and there, but nothing like I was. I know they have traction control and it seemed to be working really well. If the Camaro's works half as well as his did, I have no doubt that I can drive it year round where I live.
Sterling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 10:28 AM   #30
Lucid

Drives: 91 Z28
Driving in the snow is much easier than people make it out to be. Just don't step on the gas as hard, go slower into turns, and don't slam on your brakes. Simple. And unless you live in the boonies the snow gets plowed anyway. Sadly there is the problem of salt, so I wouldn't recommend driving your baby in the winter unless you own a car wash.
Lucid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 12:08 PM   #31
munkee drummer

Drives: 2010 convertible
Dude my camaro wont even see the rain much less snow. We dont get a lot of snow down here (SC) but heck people can even drive in the rain. Constantly having wrecks on I-385 when it rains. Sunny dry days are gonna be Camaro days!!!!! and we have a lot of them.
munkee drummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 05:33 PM   #32
09'Z28
The "Mad Hamster"

Drives: '71 Camaro, '90 mx5, '71 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucid View Post
Driving in the snow is much easier than people make it out to be. Just don't step on the gas as hard, go slower into turns, and don't slam on your brakes. Simple. And unless you live in the boonies the snow gets plowed anyway. Sadly there is the problem of salt, so I wouldn't recommend driving your baby in the winter unless you own a car wash.
well first i guess i live in the "boonies" because very few of our road get plowed(except the freeway) so we don't have that salt problem everyone else has () our problem is the dirt people throw in the roads for traction, but no salt
Old 02-07-2008, 09:58 PM   #33
Camaro 09

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Im not driving my camaro in the snow,we get some bad snow up here in Chicago. Plus all the salt wont be good.
Camaro 09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 03:18 AM   #34
Sterling

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT/RS M6
I'll be driving mine year-round in the snow up here in Mass. I had an 87 Firebird back in the day that I managed to drive year-round in the North-eastern Pennsylvania winters. The new model has to be better than that was.
Sterling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 03:40 AM   #35
camarocrazy28

Drives: 2013 SS
I probably will not be driving it in the snow, I have an all-wheel drive Astro for that.
camarocrazy28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 09:11 PM   #36
Big Boss Man
Roc's Rule

Drives: 04 Denali 89 Iroc
Store the camaro. Drive the other.
Old 02-08-2008, 09:37 PM   #37
Navy Blue
Future Camaro Owner

Drives: 2001 Chevy Impala
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro 09 View Post
Im not driving my camaro in the snow,we get some bad snow up here in Chicago. Plus all the salt wont be good.

living 15 minutes away from him in northwest indiana and traveling to chicago daily to work i can relate, the only difference really is in indiana (atleast my part) they wait for all the snow to fall then they "might" salt and in chicago though i dislike salt ...the roads are clean! but gettign back to the topic i will be getting my camaro and getting a front wheel drive car as well..perhaps i'll keep my impala i so love and i suggest you do the same.
Navy Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 11:27 PM   #38
nari_aizawa
Jen is not toast

Drives: 2007 Honda Civic
Camaro vs. beater

I'm in the same boat. I live in southeast PA, and though our snow isn't that bad, I wonder if it would be worth it to buy a beater. I can't afford to keep the car I have now and I'm not sure if a second POS car is the best idea, financially . Salt sucks but it washes off and as long as you have the right tires and good sense when driving I think it would be ok. If anyone has lived around here in the winter and driven their Camaro please let me know! Thank you!
Old 02-13-2008, 11:33 PM   #39
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Not exactly an answer to your question....But a friend of mine got a ride home from his friend in a 2000-something Trans Am....in a Blizzard. (I saw him get in the car) Now, I'm not sure what you know about Buffalo - but when I say Blizzard, I mean it: 50+ mph, whiteout conditions, icy roads, the whole shebang. Basically a winter nightmare.

He told me a few days later, that it was possibly the scariest thing he'd ever experienced - but the Trans Am never slipped up once. Granted; it must've taken an amazing driver (I've never met the guy), but still....
Old 02-14-2008, 12:16 AM   #40
Bowtie Guy Z28

Drives: 98' Z28 08 CC Z71 2010 SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
Not exactly an answer to your question....But a friend of mine got a ride home from his friend in a 2000-something Trans Am....in a Blizzard. (I saw him get in the car) Now, I'm not sure what you know about Buffalo - but when I say Blizzard, I mean it: 50+ mph, whiteout conditions, icy roads, the whole shebang. Basically a winter nightmare.

He told me a few days later, that it was possibly the scariest thing he'd ever experienced - but the Trans Am never slipped up once. Granted; it must've taken an amazing driver (I've never met the guy), but still....
Hey Dragon, no offense but, I personally think it has to do with the tires and weight in the back over the axle. I live in Denver which gets some pretty decent snow (to say the least) and when it snows more than 3 inches that actually sticks to the road I can't move (on the slightest hill). I consider myself a very experienced driver with Camaro's since I've been driving them in the Colorado winters for 12 of my 13 years of driving and another rear wheel drive vehicle (RX-7) for the one year. I feel strongly about the tires because my Camaro now SUCKS in just a dusting of snow and it has very decent tread on the tires but they're some knock off brand. Lesson learned I will not take some free tires from a friend with a shop just to save a few hundred!

All the respect for your friend though for making it in that blizzard . I know first hand it's no easy task to say the least!
Bowtie Guy Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 09:30 AM   #41
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
There's no way in H3LL I'd drive my car in snow let alone a blizzard. I think I drive pretty good but you have to have some big brass ones to drive in conditions like that!!!

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 09:46 AM   #42
BumbleBee
Yes, I am a girl

Drives: 2006 Pontiac Vibe
See, you guys are big worry warts, I'll be taking my Camaro out in the winter, I'm not afraid. When my dad use to have his Trans-am (no longer with us thanks to car thieves) up in NY, he'd put it away in the winter, and bum a ride from a co-worker.

...second to none
BumbleBee is offline   Reply With Quote