Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 07-08-2013, 11:19 AM   #1
Deke736
COTW 12/3/12

Drives: 2012 Ashen Gray ZL1
Engine Bay Lighting Locations

I am working on installing some RGB lighting in my engine bay and I am trying to determine the best way to light up the rear of the compartment. I already have installed a long strip along the front of the engine bay basically running below the weatherstripping.

I am trying to figure out the best mounting location for the rear. I have seen several people mount their strips to the firewall, but I have some concerns with heat affecting the long term hold. For you guys mounting yours there, what attachment method are you using?

As an alternative, I thought about mounting them to the bottom of my strut tower brace, wired with quick disconnects in case I need to remove the brace. Heat would still be a concern in this area since it's directly above my intercooler. Has anyone tried this location?

Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated!
Old 07-08-2013, 11:26 AM   #2
CamaroI

Drives: 2010 IOM Camaro
I have mine mounted to the back firewall with no issues. Been on over a year..Just made sure area clean as possible where double sided tape going.
CamaroI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 11:31 AM   #3
timppg

Drives: 2011 ss synergy green
I mounted mine on back firewall but I went to parts store and bought some 1/2" 3m 2 way tape and put it on the firewall and then mounted my lights on it. The 2 way tape gives you more holding power.
timppg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 01:09 PM   #4
Deke736
COTW 12/3/12

Thanks guys. I'll try it with the double sided 3M tape. I just know the adhesive backing that came on the lights won't be strong enough with all the heat coming off the intercooler.

When mounting on the firewall, I assume your LEDs are visible?
Old 07-08-2013, 01:29 PM   #5
Modern07
Mid-Florida Camaro Club

Drives: 2019 ZL1 on Order
I've mounted some simple blue LEDs underneath my Strut Brace attached with 3M tape - wired to a switch on the back of the fuse box.

Ran the car for about 5,000 miles since the install and had no issues at all.

Some Pics:

Old 07-08-2013, 01:36 PM   #6
chef-beavis

Drives: IOM 2013 2SS/RS, Greenie, 06 FXSTBi
Check out nightowlleds.com for their homepage vid. They made and mounted som pin spotlights that are awesome. When they change colors parts of the engine look like they are disappearing and reappearing. I've seen it live and it's even more cool in person. They are not selling those set-ups, specifically, but they will share what they did. Their products are super, BTW.
chef-beavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 02:01 PM   #7
Deke736
COTW 12/3/12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modern07 View Post
I've mounted some simple blue LEDs underneath my Strut Brace attached with 3M tape - wired to a switch on the back of the fuse box.

Ran the car for about 5,000 miles since the install and had no issues at all.

Some Pics:

Nice pics! Thanks for sharing! I knew someone else had to have mounted lights under the strut bar!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef-beavis View Post
Check out nightowlleds.com for their homepage vid. They made and mounted som pin spotlights that are awesome. When they change colors parts of the engine look like they are disappearing and reappearing. I've seen it live and it's even more cool in person. They are not selling those set-ups, specifically, but they will share what they did. Their products are super, BTW.
I have a complete NightOwl system on my car, but I cannot figure out which lights he is using. I have emailed Joe already and am just waiting to hear back on which lights they are. My concern is that with the ZL1 there is no insulation under the hood to hide the mini spot lights that I believe he may be using. I have also seen his setup in person and it really is amazing. I love the entire NightOwl system he has put together. I have the JDP upgrade kit with every harness filled up, and 2 SL modules that I am installing this week. I can't wait to get it all done! I just need to find the time!
Old 07-08-2013, 05:42 PM   #8
MackMan
Camaro CRAZY

Drives: 2019 OC 1SS/1LE
I mounted mine under the wiper cowl facing down and on the front where you mounted yours. Definitely make sure it's clean, I've also seen where some people put clear tape over the leds to secure them even more, like clear scotch tape.

If I were you I would do under the strut bar as well because that black spot in the center of mine kills me. I am going to do a custom engine cover so that'll take care of that.
MackMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 06:42 PM   #9
Ryanbabz71

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue 1SS 1LE
Where are you guys tapping into?

Ryan
Ryanbabz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 08:16 PM   #10
Bauer2

Drives: 2013 2SS/1LE and 2009 R1
I'm not done with mine I plan on adding a few more at the back and under the strut tower brace when I get it back from airbrushing them some more behind the grille when I change it out.

I ran mine from the battery terminal with an inline fuse to the switch and then to the lights.

Sent from the future!!
Attached Images

Bauer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 08:37 PM   #11
Ben Thur

Drives: 2010 Silver 1LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by MackMan View Post
I mounted mine under the wiper cowl facing down and on the front where you mounted yours. Definitely make sure it's clean, I've also seen where some people put clear tape over the leds to secure them even more, like clear scotch tape.

If I were you I would do under the strut bar as well because that black spot in the center of mine kills me. I am going to do a custom engine cover so that'll take care of that.
I like this for my car. The zl1 might not have too much clearance for it tho? When I get to the engine this will be a must.
Ben Thur is offline   Reply With Quote