Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 12-14-2015, 03:39 PM   #1
MMVMX

Drives: 2010 2LT RS CMG
Squeaking at warmed idle coming from pulleys or belt

I've been chasing down this squeak for months now and i've decided to see if anyone else has had the same issue so i can stop burning cash.

After the engine is warm i get quite a squeak squeak at an idle regardless of the weather or conditions. I've replaced the belt, water pump, tensioner and have tried to lubricate the pulleys as much as i can. I can't seem to pinpoint where exactly where its coming from, and the squeaking sometimes stops when its been idling for a while. I've tried the "spray water on the belt to see if its the belt" trick and sometimes it stops and sometimes it doesn't, but that also seems to be because its been idling for a bit.

I did also pull the power steering pulley to replace the tensioner and it didn't get worse or better. No change in voltage or any other symptoms. No major mods or anything, just vararam, catch can, and breather.

Thanks in advance! (this is getting a bit embarrassing)
MMVMX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 05:55 PM   #2
Nutbutt

Drives: 2011 RJT 2LT/RS Convertible
Just a thought. Could it be you catch can or breather ? There were issues with some of these screeching from faulty valves.
Old 12-15-2015, 06:51 AM   #3
rtcat600man
having FUN now 13.66@101

Drives: 2010 2LT IOM
I too have that issue. I have been listening to it for the past 9 months. No matter what the weather. Always after it warms up a little. I tried the pulley and belts. I cannot locate it either. I have given up at the moment on chasing it down any further. Hopefully one day I come across what is causing the issue. I will be checking my catch can next just to see if it might be coming from there. Thank - you for the idea. Hopefully we can get to the bottom of this someday.
Old 12-15-2015, 03:58 PM   #4
MMVMX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutbutt View Post
Just a thought. Could it be you catch can or breather ? There were issues with some of these screeching from faulty valves.
I just looked up a video on the breather squealing, and its seeming very similar to me. I'm going to see if i can service the breather and also email RX is the meantime.
Old 12-15-2015, 03:59 PM   #5
MMVMX

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtcat600man View Post
I too have that issue. I have been listening to it for the past 9 months. No matter what the weather. Always after it warms up a little. I tried the pulley and belts. I cannot locate it either. I have given up at the moment on chasing it down any further. Hopefully one day I come across what is causing the issue. I will be checking my catch can next just to see if it might be coming from there. Thank - you for the idea. Hopefully we can get to the bottom of this someday.
Do you have the RX breather or just the side separator? This sound is similar to mine.

https://youtu.be/9jS8UB_GzhE
Old 12-15-2015, 04:05 PM   #6
Nutbutt

I had the same breather as in the video. I have now gone to the GM separator and reworked the system so it's a closed system with no discharge outside as in these breathers. RX and other have gone to these type configurations.
Old 12-16-2015, 06:26 AM   #7
rtcat600man
having FUN now 13.66@101

Drives: 2010 2LT IOM
I am currently no longer using the RX breather as shown in the video. I have gone to a separator style set-up that I picked up from RX. I have used a couple different style separators that RX has designed. (Photos below) first one is what I had on the Camaro a year ago, the second photo is what I am running with today). I will have to check further into where the noise is coming from. Hopefully today I can get into it some more.
Attached Images

Old 12-16-2015, 07:37 AM   #8
Nutbutt

Wow, same progression through the breathers as I have done. The one you are running was really worked good until my buddy snapped it of the engine when I was changing my SC oil. I replaced it with the GM separator which is good but it is much bigger.
Old 12-16-2015, 07:38 AM   #9
Nutbutt

Wow, same progression through the breathers as I have done. The one you are running was really worked good until my buddy snapped it of the engine when I was changing my SC oil. I replaced it with the GM separator which is good but it is much bigger.
Old 12-16-2015, 07:39 AM   #10
Nutbutt

Old 12-16-2015, 07:40 AM   #11
Nutbutt

Old 12-29-2015, 07:08 PM   #12
MMVMX

Well, i cleaned my RX breather with some simple green diluted to 50% and my noise is gone. Its been about 7 days so far. Looking into maybe modifying the breather tube to go into my vararam to make a closed system anyway, but so far so good.

Thanks for getting me away from the belt and into the breathing system!
Old 12-30-2015, 01:02 PM   #13
Nutbutt

I don't know what you have for filament inside you breather but if you have the green pad you might want to replace this pad with a stainless steel scouring pad. The green pad is known to breakdown over time and could get back into you engine. I replace mine. I also included it inside the GM breather and it seem to work much better that just an open matrix of channels.