Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 01-09-2016, 07:37 PM   #1
Olddudesrule
Resident nomad

Drives: 2014 Summit White 1SS/1LE
First HPDE event impressions

First off, if you haven't done one, please do! It was an absolute blast. I joined NASA, and had my first HPDE1 event today. The group was great, very friendly and helpful with everything. Four classes and four 20 minute track sessions at the local Wildhorse Pass Motorsports Park East track (formally Firebird Raceway). I drove this car harder and faster than any car I've had, and learned a ton from my classroom and driving instructor. Even though it was just HPDE1, I really got to drive hard, and learned a lot about the limits of the car as it is now (pretty much stock).

I did the recommended DOT4 brake fluid change prior, as well as changing the engine oil, trans fluid and rear end (Royal Purple all) mainly for peace of mind. Car ran flawless, oil temps got to about 258 max. My G2's had about 1000 miles on them prior to the event, and I thought they performed great. Never had an issue where I felt they got greasy or lost considerable grip. Overall, I'm really happy with the way the car performed. I had purchased new brake pads for the front (went with EBC Yellow Stuff simply due to quick availabliity), but decided not to change out after seeing that the stock pads still had plenty of material left (16000 miles on them). I never felt fade at all, and when my instructor drove the car, he beat it good, and commented that the brakes felt strong.

The only car in my group that seemed to out class the 1LE was a brand new 911 GT3. With that PDK transmission, he was noticeably quicker in the transitions, but I also think he was a more experienced driver than I was. The 1LE pretty much ate everything else in the group, including M3's, Mustang GT's, a Gallardo, and other 911's. Probably a lot of driver experience issues there as opposed to the cars themselves, but it felt good nontheless.

I guess the bottom line is, I've had quite a few track worthy cars, and never pulled the plug before....wish I had, especially on the Z06's....

Oh yea, one other thing. I have clear bra over the entire front and lover sides of the car, and was damn glad. The windshield suffered a few little surface chips too. I'd consider clear bra or invest in a good amount of painter's tape before you go......

If you're thinking about it, DO IT! You will not be disappointed.

Next stop, Chuckwalla??
2003 Z06
1965 FFR Cobra
2012 Nissan 370Z

ADM LSA Stage II, Roto-Fab CAI, Kooks LTH/HFC's, Phastek CC, ported TB, Mishimoto radiator and oil cooler, BC Racing ER Series CO's, JPSS 32mm Black Magic rear bar, JPSS front inserts, R1 Concepts Premier slotted rotors/Goodrich SS lines, Schroth ASM harness, MGW flatstick, Brey-Krause HB, Tuned by NicD, at Cordes Performance Racing.
Olddudesrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 08:13 PM   #2
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Drives: 13' ZL1 Red M6
Congrats.

Once the HPDE bug bites you it's hard to stop going.

Have a look at Kurt's topic for SoCal HPDE's. We already have a full schedule set up for 2016. Hope to see you out on the track some day!

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=387006
Roto-Fab Intake, WW Res. kit & Big Gulp Air Scoop, Elite Catch Can, ATI Super Damper & 18% OD Pulley, LF Idler pulley bracket, Metco CC breather, ID850 Injectors, Stainless Power Headers w/ ceramic coating, TR71X Spark Plugs, JMS Fuel Pump Booster, Bo White TB, Tuned by Ted @ Jannetty Racing, Ron Davis HX, D3 Reservoir, Pfadt 1" Springs, Moreno Camber Plates, ZL1 Addons Splitter guard washers, Tow Hook kit & rock guards, Hurst Shifter Billet Plus 6 Speed Short Shifter, ZL1 DRL lighting harness, ZL1 Recaro Seats.
KaBoom1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 08:59 PM   #3
Olddudesrule
Resident nomad

Thanks!
2003 Z06
1965 FFR Cobra
2012 Nissan 370Z

ADM LSA Stage II, Roto-Fab CAI, Kooks LTH/HFC's, Phastek CC, ported TB, Mishimoto radiator and oil cooler, BC Racing ER Series CO's, JPSS 32mm Black Magic rear bar, JPSS front inserts, R1 Concepts Premier slotted rotors/Goodrich SS lines, Schroth ASM harness, MGW flatstick, Brey-Krause HB, Tuned by NicD, at Cordes Performance Racing.
Old 01-09-2016, 09:59 PM   #4
MuIIet

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS 1LE
I love the Arizona region. I worked race control for them for years. Volunteer to work the flagging stations, and you can get credits to offset the price of registration. I'll put you in contact with Ramin if you'd like.
MuIIet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 11:58 AM   #5
BMR Sales

Drives: Race Car
It's addicting!
BMR Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 01:45 PM   #6
Olddudesrule
Resident nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuIIet View Post
I love the Arizona region. I worked race control for them for years. Volunteer to work the flagging stations, and you can get credits to offset the price of registration. I'll put you in contact with Ramin if you'd like.
Thanks, Mullet. They were a great bunch, no egos to speak of, very helpful and willing to answer any and all questions. I may take you up on the offer.
2003 Z06
1965 FFR Cobra
2012 Nissan 370Z

Old 01-11-2016, 10:39 PM   #7
backeddy
Banned

Drives: 2011 Boxster Spyder (best car ever)
Welcome to the club! Wait until you see what that windshield looks like after 20 track days......
backeddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 11:39 PM   #8
Nor Cal ZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6
You could have clearplex installed on the windshield and prevent that.

http://www.clearplex.com/
Nor Cal ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 08:39 AM   #9
Olddudesrule
Resident nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by backeddy View Post
Welcome to the club! Wait until you see what that windshield looks like after 20 track days......
Crap, I noticed that after one. Got about three or four good chips in there, and a decent surface scratch on the hood scoop. Glad I have clear bra over the nose! Hell, I have glass coverage
2003 Z06
1965 FFR Cobra
2012 Nissan 370Z

Old 01-12-2016, 11:14 AM   #10
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Drives: 13' ZL1 Red M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by backeddy View Post
No kidding. lol I've already replaced one windshield and the current one is getting bad...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal ZL1 View Post
You could have clearplex installed on the windshield and prevent that.

http://www.clearplex.com/
Dam, didn't know tis existed. How much does this cost to have installed?
Roto-Fab Intake, WW Res. kit & Big Gulp Air Scoop, Elite Catch Can, ATI Super Damper & 18% OD Pulley, LF Idler pulley bracket, Metco CC breather, ID850 Injectors, Stainless Power Headers w/ ceramic coating, TR71X Spark Plugs, JMS Fuel Pump Booster, Bo White TB, Tuned by Ted @ Jannetty Racing, Ron Davis HX, D3 Reservoir, Pfadt 1" Springs, Moreno Camber Plates, ZL1 Addons Splitter guard washers, Tow Hook kit & rock guards, Hurst Shifter Billet Plus 6 Speed Short Shifter, ZL1 DRL lighting harness, ZL1 Recaro Seats.
KaBoom1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 09:58 PM   #11
MuIIet

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olddudesrule View Post
Thanks, Mullet. They were a great bunch, no egos to speak of, very helpful and willing to answer any and all questions. I may take you up on the offer.

Chuckwalla and INDE are great tracks, so don't pass them up. Become friends with the Corvette guys as their take-off tires may become useful to you. The Arizona region is top notch which why I stayed with them for...6 years. I just moved to Portland in March, and NASA AZ is the only thing I miss about Arizona. It's the biggest family you'll ever meet.
MuIIet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 10:28 PM   #12
Olddudesrule
Resident nomad

My instructor, Rod, was a C5 owner and part of the AZ Vette Racers group. As a former Vette owner, I naturally had a lot to chat about with them. Rod actually drove my car, and was very impressed with it. Will be trying to make Chuckwalla, and will make many other events. Great advice on the tires, and I'm already keeping my eye on CR for lightly used G2's..
2003 Z06
1965 FFR Cobra
2012 Nissan 370Z