Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 04-14-2012, 02:18 AM   #1
Vengeance Graphix

Drives: 2017 Corvette Grand Sport
GPS apps?

Im trying to find a good GPS nav app because I suck at directions lol. I was out today and was using an app called "Waze", Its not bad for around town but going long distances and not knowing where you are going is not fun. It dragged me in all sorts of directions .. what a headache. I have the iPhone4s and was wondering if anyone uses any GPS apps and if they do, which one and how good/accurate is it?
Old 04-14-2012, 03:07 AM   #2
TuLe

Drives: bicycle
im using tomtom on my iphone 4

and its great ...
TuLe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 08:12 AM   #3
Steve Dallas
Commits weekly crime

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LT
I currently use a Garmin Nuvi 3790t https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=63940

I got it because of a limitation of GPS on most phones, though I do know Google Maps changed to allow you to pre-download maps.

Why get a Garmin when I have my Android? Because if there is no cell data coverage, you can't navigate anywhere. With a Garmin, I'm not tied to cell towers, and there are tons of roads here in the PNW that don't have cell coverage.
Old 06-13-2013, 10:18 AM   #4
LadiesMan217

Drives: '10 IOM/IO 2SS/RS
I use Waze also and have never had a problem with it but I will say that it's not always 100% accurate with traffic reports (although that is mainly due to other users...not necessarily the app).

I sometimes use GoogleMaps on my iPhone 4S but I really have had ZERO problems with Maps on iOS6 like everybody else seems to be having.

So, my order goes:

Waze (mostly when I'm on my morning commute and I can use it to bypass traffic)
GoogleMaps (If I'm out of town)
iOS6 Maps (Locally)
Old 06-14-2013, 01:29 PM   #5
irocnroll

Drives: '91 RS Vert, '11 Grand Cherokee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Dallas View Post
I currently use a Garmin Nuvi 3790t https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=63940

I got it because of a limitation of GPS on most phones, though I do know Google Maps changed to allow you to pre-download maps.

Why get a Garmin when I have my Android? Because if there is no cell data coverage, you can't navigate anywhere. With a Garmin, I'm not tied to cell towers, and there are tons of roads here in the PNW that don't have cell coverage.
There are apps that let you download the maps ahead of time on the phone that dont require a constant cell or data network connection. Then you can use Turn by Turn nav without the worry of losing your signal.
irocnroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 01:40 PM   #6
inf3rno

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2LT/RS
Google maps are the best....I use it all the item.

If you don't have data enabled all the time....Tom Tom (paid version) is the best app.
Old 06-15-2013, 05:50 AM   #7
11BEE
11 BEE

Drives: 2011 LS2 RS & 2012 2SS RS 45th Vert
I use Google Maps (free download) for my every day map needs and it works great. I have TomTom which works offline, but it takes over a gig of space. I would recommend either.

11Bee and I♥My45th
11BEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 09:17 AM   #8
WhiteyChev

Drives: 2012 Camaro ZL1. 1/94 produced.
The Googles recently bought Waze for a Biilion $. No exaggeration! One would think this should give Waze tremendous mapping now on top of real time data. Both from user inputs & anonymous GPS monitoring of traffic speeds.
On a recent trip this worked amazing. Not just for live police & construction issues, when I select 'fastest' route, it took me the longer way around because traffic was stalled to a crawl on the 'shortest' route. When traffic cleared, the shortest route once again also became the fastest. It was amazing, & aided our travels immensely.
Highly recommend we all become "Wazers". Tremendous esp considering its a free app.
WhiteyChev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 09:20 AM   #9
Steve Dallas
Commits weekly crime

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LT
I now have Google Maps built in to my Audi...and it's pretty sweet. Drove cross country from Seattle to North Carolina and didn't bring any paper maps or need to use my older Garmin. Only downside is it doesn't show state lines or anything (at least, the Audi MMI version doesn't)...so had to revert to google maps on the Android a couple of times when I was curious about that.
Old 09-02-2013, 12:14 AM   #10
msp2887

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS Black
+1 for Google maps, it's how Nick and I found our way to our squad calls the other night LOL
msp2887 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 12:53 AM   #11
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
I've been using Apple Maps, which is powered by TomTom. I use INRIX for traffic reports.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote