Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 12-08-2012, 09:11 PM   #29
BullF-16
USAF retired! Thank God!

Drives: 2011 1SS, 1LT red,1LT/RS SGM 98Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z_Rocks View Post
The shop's treatment, is the reflection who the customer is...
its pretty amazing actually. I email SNL performance and maybe an hour later i have a response. SNL Performance in Ft Worth is also the headquarters of Monster Clutch Company.

They could just tell me they are not interested but Steve and Dustin always are there for my build. They do have pride in it since they have pretty much done everything. And like i said. Dustin has no issues with me coming back and asking questions and even helping with my car.

Anyone in a 300 mile radius would be served well by touching base with Monster Clutch/SNL performance.
HKE LSX427(Mast blk lbl 305 6bolt LS7heads, PatG231/246 blower cam, RWHP/TQ: 1281/1133 SNL Performance Custom Twin PT6766 BB turbos 4 to 25psi selectable on the Boost Leash controller, Squash dual 400LPH/ID2000s, ALKY 4 gal meth, Autometer AFR/Bst/oilpres/oiltemp/fuelpress gauges, Pedders Justice road crs pkg: All HD bushes, supercar 12kg coil overs, supercar ZL1 sways, camber plates all setup by JusticePete! :Gforce 9" 35spline S-Trac, 1500hp Outlaw axles, 3.5"alum DS, Monster Triple disc; 4xForgeline 19x10.5 4xBridgestone 305/30R19 RE-11, CTS-v calipers/rotors/Cobalt friction XR1/3 pads
BullF-16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 09:43 PM   #30
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 camaro ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juiced1 View Post
You mentioned both of my ideas. Disable the pump controller and try a fresh PCM. The code "internal fault" has bad PCM all over it. But, once you're passing the 700rwhp mark you're kind of wondering past its capabilites and it might be time to look into a stand alone unit anyway.
In what world do you tune in, that a pcm knows or cares how much power it is controlling?
I'd lean towards the aeromotive and everything attached to it being a pos.
Swapping pcm is also an easy test, think you're on the right track there.
429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 08:20 PM   #31
grocerygetter
instigator

Drives: 2020 6.2 Trail Boss, 2022 XC90
Man...no offense , but in your shoes I would remove th aero motive fpc and pump when swapping ECM.
Old 12-10-2012, 05:53 AM   #32
partymn

Drives: 2014 1ss 1LE
I had the same code pop up after my turbo build. The forward facing turbo headers caused me to relocate my chassis ground from the passenger side of the block down to the starter bolt and mount a bit lower on the frame of the car. Well some how I managed to bolt it to the frame with a heat shield between the cable and the car. The car ran and drove a bit before it started acting weird. Then the battery seemed dead, was throwing a P0606 code, and going into limp mode. The shop found and fixed the issue and now all is well. Hope its that simple.
Old 12-10-2012, 10:38 AM   #33
BullF-16
USAF retired! Thank God!

Quote:
Originally Posted by partymn View Post
I had the same code pop up after my turbo build. The forward facing turbo headers caused me to relocate my chassis ground from the passenger side of the block down to the starter bolt and mount a bit lower on the frame of the car. Well some how I managed to bolt it to the frame with a heat shield between the cable and the car. The car ran and drove a bit before it started acting weird. Then the battery seemed dead, was throwing a P0606 code, and going into limp mode. The shop found and fixed the issue and now all is well. Hope its that simple.
Thanks, this is pretty close to my situation. The dyno runs all had no issues. probably about 8 dyno runs and no codes. It wasn't till we took the car out for the final drivability tune that the code came up. It would only happen under hard acceleration and the rpms where it happened were erratic. Sometimes the code and limp mode would happen at 5000rpm, sometimes 4000 and as low as about 2500. It never happened when driving the car normally.
HKE LSX427(Mast blk lbl 305 6bolt LS7heads, PatG231/246 blower cam, RWHP/TQ: 1281/1133 SNL Performance Custom Twin PT6766 BB turbos 4 to 25psi selectable on the Boost Leash controller, Squash dual 400LPH/ID2000s, ALKY 4 gal meth, Autometer AFR/Bst/oilpres/oiltemp/fuelpress gauges, Pedders Justice road crs pkg: All HD bushes, supercar 12kg coil overs, supercar ZL1 sways, camber plates all setup by JusticePete! :Gforce 9" 35spline S-Trac, 1500hp Outlaw axles, 3.5"alum DS, Monster Triple disc; 4xForgeline 19x10.5 4xBridgestone 305/30R19 RE-11, CTS-v calipers/rotors/Cobalt friction XR1/3 pads
Old 12-10-2012, 12:05 PM   #34
partymn

Drives: 2014 1ss 1LE
Well after my build I ran the car in the driveway for almost an hour to cook the heat wrap on my hot pipes and then drove it to the shop, 15 miles away, to get tuned with no problems. It was at the shop when it started having problems, but it was never into boost before the issue. I know that ground caused some crazy codes, had a fuel pump code as well. Just something to look into, never know.
Old 12-11-2012, 08:50 AM   #35
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
That code is for an internal PCM processor error or incomplete programming.

I wonder if the battery was low while they were trying to program it? That can cause an incomplete program error. Maybe while driving it, it gets to that spot in the programming that didn't write in correctly, then trips the problem and limp mode.

The service manual says no fix for it, just replace the PCM and full battery charge before programming the new one. Also nothing can interrupt the programming, no doors open, radio or HVAC on, hood open.... key on, and don't touch anything while programming. A wire problem at the ECM could also be an issue possibly, but I'd think that would cause more codes. Wouldn't hurt to check the connections and grounds.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 10:18 AM   #36
Z_Rocks

Drives: everyone crazy...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell James View Post
That code is for an internal PCM processor error or incomplete programming.

I wonder if the battery was low while they were trying to program it? That can cause an incomplete program error. Maybe while driving it, it gets to that spot in the programming that didn't write in correctly, then trips the problem and limp mode.

The service manual says no fix for it, just replace the PCM and full battery charge before programming the new one. Also nothing can interrupt the programming, no doors open, radio or HVAC on, hood open.... key on, and don't touch anything while programming. A wire problem at the ECM could also be an issue possibly, but I'd think that would cause more codes. Wouldn't hurt to check the connections and grounds.
Good points! The OP did mention the battery was dead when they tried to start it, which I suppose the programming was done prior to start which the battery was very low.

You also correct on not touching anything while writing to PCM. Once while we were making upload and my car was on the dyno, I had to close the door while writing and we ended up with lots of crazy codes.
Z_Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 10:44 AM   #37
BullF-16
USAF retired! Thank God!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z_Rocks View Post
Good points! The OP did mention the battery was dead when they tried to start it, which I suppose the programming was done prior to start which the battery was very low.

You also correct on not touching anything while writing to PCM. Once while we were making upload and my car was on the dyno, I had to close the door while writing and we ended up with lots of crazy codes.
Yes when pat initially installed the base tune the battery was low. When he went to start the car the batt died after a few cranks. They hooked up a big charger and went to town on trying to get the battery juiced up.

Pat did reprogram/flash the PCM the next day when this code started poppin up but no luck. I thiink the best thing to do is start with the PCM and go from there. SNL ordered one. Yesterday while they were troubleshooting my car fried the bearings on their Dynocomm dyno
Old 12-11-2012, 10:48 AM   #38
Z_Rocks

Drives: everyone crazy...
Quote:
Originally Posted by BullF-16 View Post
Yes when pat initially installed the base tune the battery was low. When he went to start the car the batt died after a few cranks. They hooked up a big charger and went to town on trying to get the battery juiced up.

Pat did reprogram/flash the PCM the next day when this code started poppin up but no luck. I thiink the best thing to do is start with the PCM and go from there. SNL ordered one. Yesterday while they were troubleshooting my car fried the bearings on their Dynocomm dyno
I was also thinking of the "spike" you had mentioned before, which those big re-chargers can cause damage to the PCM.
Z_Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 10:59 AM   #39
stanwilliams
3000 hp 648 ci beast

Drives: 86 Outlaw 10.5 Camaro, 2SS/RS LS3
We have a special smart battery charger at work to use when programing Maxxforce truck engines. It puts out less noise into the electrical system. I didn't really buy into that whole deal and was updating an ECM on a customers truck and the battery was too low to allow a complete update. I used an ordinary charger set on 30 amps and continued the update like normal. The truck had some strange issues after this. Reprogrammed with the correct charger and all was well. Hope you figure this out, but I do know that battery chargers can cause issues when programing. A huge voltage spike might just be what caused your problem.

mods: ******** setup. Whipple supercharger....Need suspension upgrades now... 4" stroker kit, ARH, cam on my wish list.
stanwilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 08:22 PM   #40
BullF-16
USAF retired! Thank God!

Well SNL Performance in Ft Worth isolated the problem....i hope. They disconnected the aeromotive billet fuel pump speed controller and the Autometer tach adapter. Basically running the eliminator pump at high speed with out the speed controller and could not get the PCM to kick out the P0606 code at all. When ever the speed controller and tach adapter were still wired in but still bypassed with the manual bypass/override switch the code and limp mode happened everytime the throttle hit 75%.

Aeromotive has been great thru this whole ordeal and is sending a new speed controller.

Today, it was determined thru talking with the 5th gen expert at Autometer, that the signal from the coil wire to the autometer tach adapter had too much voltage/noise? Autometer was aware that this was an issue on the 5th gen but not on all of them....it is sporadic.

Autometer is sending a capacitor to wire inline to eliminate the interference with the PCM. This in combination with a new speed controller hopefully will allow this fuel system to feed my motor the way it should.
Old 12-13-2012, 10:50 PM   #41
avellanet.jr
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #77
Quote:
Originally Posted by BullF-16 View Post
Well SNL Performance in Ft Worth isolated the problem....i hope. They disconnected the aeromotive billet fuel pump speed controller and the Autometer tach adapter. Basically running the eliminator pump at high speed with out the speed controller and could not get the PCM to kick out the P0606 code at all. When ever the speed controller and tach adapter were still wired in but still bypassed with the manual bypass/override switch the code and limp mode happened everytime the throttle hit 75%.

Aeromotive has been great thru this whole ordeal and is sending a new speed controller.

Today, it was determined thru talking with the 5th gen expert at Autometer, that the signal from the coil wire to the autometer tach adapter had too much voltage/noise? Autometer was aware that this was an issue on the 5th gen but not on all of them....it is sporadic.

Autometer is sending a capacitor to wire inline to eliminate the interference with the PCM. This in combination with a new speed controller hopefully will allow this fuel system to feed my motor the way it should.
Did you end up using the new PCM?
avellanet.jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 09:48 AM   #42
BullF-16
USAF retired! Thank God!

Quote:
Originally Posted by avellanet.jr View Post
Did you end up using the new PCM?
Not yet, gonna see if the new controller and capacitor for the tach adapter solve the P0606 codes