Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 11-28-2015, 06:52 PM   #1
rozarioorlan

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2LS
Prothane Bushing Insert Instructions?

someone hit my car a couple weeks ago and it will be in the body shop, so in that time i am trying to get as much info as i can. i bought the prothane rear cradle inserts in august and nobody knew how to install them. one shop wanted $250 to do it because it was their first time on that car but i figured it was too much and they might mess up. another trusted shop charged $500 for the inserts and lowering springs that i had at the time but the guy didn't know where to put them in and didn't want to mess with anything. i met a guy who builds cars and i'm sure he could do it, but before i ask i was wondering if any of you have any tips i could show him. i don't have too much knowledge of suspension, but is it just taking the wheels off, finding the bushings and inserting them? just a summary of what needs to be done is helpful. also if he can't do it i will be selling them on here, as well as some other stock parts if anyone is interested.
2013 2LS - K&N CAI, Overkill Ported 80mm Throttle Body, Overkill E85 Kit and Overkill Tune, Jacfab Ported Intake Manifold and Spacer, Stealth 3.0 TC, ARH Catted Downpipes, Magnaflow Resonated X-Pipe, Resonator Delete, Jones Full Boar Racing Mufflers, BMR 1.2" Lowering Springs, Elite Engineering Catch Can and Clean Side Seperator
rozarioorlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 07:01 PM   #2
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
Question: while I'm unfamiliar with this exact product, it sounds like replacement of stock suspension bushings with high performance urethane, am I correct?

If so, can they be lubricated with a zerk or similar?
Old 11-28-2015, 07:07 PM   #3
rozarioorlan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBlair View Post
Question: while I'm unfamiliar with this exact product, it sounds like replacement of stock suspension bushings with high performance urethane, am I correct?

If so, can they be lubricated with a zerk or similar?
they are just bushing inserts so as far as i know they just go right into the bushing? and i'm not too sure about the lubrication
2013 2LS - K&N CAI, Overkill Ported 80mm Throttle Body, Overkill E85 Kit and Overkill Tune, Jacfab Ported Intake Manifold and Spacer, Stealth 3.0 TC, ARH Catted Downpipes, Magnaflow Resonated X-Pipe, Resonator Delete, Jones Full Boar Racing Mufflers, BMR 1.2" Lowering Springs, Elite Engineering Catch Can and Clean Side Seperator
Old 11-28-2015, 07:11 PM   #4
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
Probably a compound that doesn't require it
Old 11-28-2015, 07:18 PM   #5
BigBlock69RS
Ed

Drives: 2013 AGM Camaro 2SS/RS/1LE
I did them myself. I didn't have any instructions either. Take a look at the BMR set and their instructions. They will only fit properly in one place.

They came with some lubrication so probably need some. I lubbed them up good so that they won't make any noise.

Last edited by BigBlock69RS; 11-28-2015 at 07:38 PM.
BigBlock69RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 10:18 AM   #6
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
Check the BMR site like he said, and yes if they are just inserts you just push them in to reinforce the existing bushings. For other things like say the trailing arms a shop might need a bushing press for the solid bushings. If you have a six states shop in your area I do not know but they are the rear differential shop around here, and do know ....... And even auto tire stores have done bushings and inserts, and the deal its usually a case of a alignment is needed for lots of suspension upgrades....... Good Luck The rear cradle is the entire rear suspension frame that supports everything including the rear struts, rear end and a arms etc...... here is a pic of my car with the front cradle removed.... along with engine and trans as that's the real deal to do the engine, and if I DID rear cradle which I will do I am doing a lot more to make the expense worth it......
I imagine a cradle can for purposes of just the bushing inserts be just loosened enough to put the inserts in without dropping everything if you apply support to the rear.....
Old 11-29-2015, 10:33 AM   #7
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
Here is a picture of the rear cradle from Ebay, Note the large bushings in the four corners....

Old 11-30-2015, 01:22 AM   #8
CamaroCracka

Drives: 2010 Turbo LS3
The inserts fill the voids between bushing's aluminum hub and rubber middle layer. The voids are there to reduce noise and vibration but lots of guys run solid poly bushings with little increase in NVH. The inserts would have a smaller effect.

The hard part is there is an insert for the top and bottom. This means you have lift the chassis and support the cradle at the same time. Some guys say they did two bolts at a time and were able to get enough room to get the inserts in. Regardless of how you do it, you need to get a large enough gap between the cradle and it's mount points to install the top inserts. The bottoms just go in behind the big azz washer.

Mind you I have never done this as I went with solid bushings, but I looked into it when I was deciding how far I wanted to go.

2011 Vert - 416/w 230/236 .612/.602 115lsa, 1LE suspension w/32mm rear bar. Z28 diff. ZL1 brakes.
CamaroCracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 02:36 AM   #9
Kiwi_Camaro_2010

Drives: Camaro 2SS/RS 2010 L99
I have them, very effective, got rid of my bum wobble completely & still very quiet, just drop back end bolts out, undo front but not all the way so cradle stays positioned, gives you enough room to do rear, then do opposite for front bushes, have back ones started but loose drop front bolts out completely & put in, took bout 1 1/2 hours on axle stands in drive way, crow bar came in handy for aligning up bolt holes to finish.
Camaro 2SS/RS 2010 / L99 / Whipple SC /Dynatech Headers & Catts (gutted), ID 850 injectors, ZL1 fuel pump +BAP & ADM pump controller, ZR1 3Bar MAP, Dual Elite Catch Cans, 91 octane ,Eibach sway bar kit , Driveshaft loop, oil cooler delete, ADM dual gauges (AFR/Boost) LC1 wideband controller, D/D, ARP stud kit ,Callies forged slayer crank 3.622", callies ultra rods, wiseco forged pistons, L99-LS3, rollmaster double row steel timing set & comps cam timing cover,blower cam 630/660 lift,3/8 pushrods, pac gear 8deg, yella terra ultra lites. LS9 head gaskets. Texas speed custom oil pump. Asm by me.
Kiwi_Camaro_2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 05:53 PM   #10
rozarioorlan

for those who did it already: if you have all the knowledge and tools to do it, is it something that can be done in a garage using those little drive on ramps? seems a little complicated. also, for those who have it is it worth the trouble putting them in? is there a big difference?
Old 12-01-2015, 06:05 PM   #11
BigBlock69RS
Ed

Drives: 2013 AGM Camaro 2SS/RS/1LE
Day and nite difference. Car goes where you point it now and doesn't wobble all over the place.

if you do a good search on this site many threads and videos diy guides. If you have hand tools and a jack and patience you can do it yourself.

Last edited by BigBlock69RS; 12-02-2015 at 11:37 AM.
BigBlock69RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 10:56 AM   #12
danvillekidd
2013 ZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 m6
Quote:
Originally Posted by rozarioorlan View Post
for those who did it already: if you have all the knowledge and tools to do it, is it something that can be done in a garage using those little drive on ramps? seems a little complicated. also, for those who have it is it worth the trouble putting them in? is there a big difference?
You can not use ramps on the rear tires as you need to lower the suspension. jack stands, floor jack and some basic hand tools are all you should need. I didnt do the inserts, but changed the whole bushing in my garage along with the shocks and sway bars.
danvillekidd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bushings, suspension