Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 04-10-2010, 01:50 AM   #1
Revo1
Don't Like it? Suggit.

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Question Different AFM question

Don't incinerate me, I know there are alot of threads on this topic already, but I have a specific query that I haven't been able to get an answer to posting in other threads, so here it is.

Is it possible, or has anyone tuned DOWN their AFM?

Not tune it completely out, just tune it down- so that it only comes on at highway speeds, or only in 6th gear or something? I definitely don't want it coming on at inconvenient times (while under light load on the street, etc) but would still like to achieve the mileage on the highway, being that we often travel between Fresno and Bakersfield, and the car will be seeing some highway miles.

Just want the AFM to come on when the motor is under light load, at a speed above 60ish...

So, anyone? Can it be done?...

"Tops off, tach up baby- loud and proud!"
A Camaro lover from day one- 1996 3.8 V6 Camaro, to 1996 5.7 LT1 Camaro Z28, to the sold 2002 5.7 LS1 Camaro SS, and NOW, a [I]6.2 L99 VR 2SS/RS: XS Power stainless full exhaust, Airaid CAI, BMR drop springs and sways, custom tune by Cal Speed- 411rwhp
Revo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 02:20 AM   #2
SScattergunSS
~ Love or Lust ~

Drives: R6P 1SS/RS BLK/L99
I'll give this a bump for you. I don't know the answer, but I will tell you that even driving at 40mph in town, the transmission is in 6th gear when I go to use my TAP shift!
~ Then conquer we must, when our cause it is just, And this be our motto, "In God is our trust." And the Star Spangled Banner in triumph shall wave O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave ~ Francis Scott Key ~
SScattergunSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 02:30 AM   #3
Revo1
Don't Like it? Suggit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SScattergunSS View Post
I'll give this a bump for you. I don't know the answer, but I will tell you that even driving at 40mph in town, the transmission is in 6th gear when I go to use my TAP shift!
SERIOUSLY??? Thanks Ed, that does come as a surprise... (insert worried smiley here)

A Camaro lover from day one- 1996 3.8 V6 Camaro, to 1996 5.7 LT1 Camaro Z28, to the sold 2002 5.7 LS1 Camaro SS, and NOW, a [I]6.2 L99 VR 2SS/RS: XS Power stainless full exhaust, Airaid CAI, BMR drop springs and sways, custom tune by Cal Speed- 411rwhp
Old 04-10-2010, 02:37 AM   #4
SScattergunSS
~ Love or Lust ~

Drives: R6P 1SS/RS BLK/L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revo1 View Post
SERIOUSLY??? Thanks Ed, that does come as a surprise... (insert worried smiley here)
Yeah, I noticed it the other day on Blackstone when I went to use the TAP Shift.

Having said that, a little later on that drive, I was in using the buttons and in 3rd, when I needed to go around some one Driving While (you fill in the blank) and it scared me a little how responsive, instantaneous, and powerful it was!
~ Then conquer we must, when our cause it is just, And this be our motto, "In God is our trust." And the Star Spangled Banner in triumph shall wave O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave ~ Francis Scott Key ~
SScattergunSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 07:52 AM   #5
3BVert

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
When I bought my Predator, my understanding (might be wrong) was that you could set limits on when AFM kicks in. I don't know because I didn't even try. I wanted it GONE! If the Predator won't do it, I'm almost certain that there are handhelds that will. Even if you do, I imagine that you still run the risk of warranty issues because you've modified the ECM whether you turn it off or down.

Personally, I see the same mileage with the Predator tune and AFM off as I did with the stock tune and AFM on. However, I don't do a lot of straight highway driving so maybe that's where AFM shines (there has to be a silver lining to AFM somewhere!).

IMO... If you're not worried about potential warranty issues, just turn the annoying thing off. You won't regret it.
Old 04-10-2010, 10:58 AM   #6
Revo1
Don't Like it? Suggit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SScattergunSS View Post
Yeah, I noticed it the other day on Blackstone when I went to use the TAP Shift.

Having said that, a little later on that drive, I was in using the buttons and in 3rd, when I needed to go around some one Driving While (you fill in the blank) and it scared me a little how responsive, instantaneous, and powerful it was!
Lol sounds all good to me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3BVert View Post
When I bought my Predator, my understanding (might be wrong) was that you could set limits on when AFM kicks in. I don't know because I didn't even try. I wanted it GONE! If the Predator won't do it, I'm almost certain that there are handhelds that will. Even if you do, I imagine that you still run the risk of warranty issues because you've modified the ECM whether you turn it off or down.

Personally, I see the same mileage with the Predator tune and AFM off as I did with the stock tune and AFM on. However, I don't do a lot of straight highway driving so maybe that's where AFM shines (there has to be a silver lining to AFM somewhere!).

IMO... If you're not worried about potential warranty issues, just turn the annoying thing off. You won't regret it.
Well that's reassuring!

I'm not too worried about the warranty, main thing is I want to be able to get the most out of my car when that time comes.... The Predator and other such programmers save your factory settings in case you want to revert to them right? (For warranty purposes)

Old 04-10-2010, 11:10 AM   #7
hypurone
I'm not totally useless..

Drives: ...
The majority of guys that have tuned the AFM completely out are reporting a max change of 1-2 mpg reduction. Not even close to worrying about in my book.

Also, I just had a lengthy conversation with my soon-to-be tuner and he said the tables for the AFM are huge and very difficult to tune outside of some very narrow parameters and he even recommended just turning it off.

I personally did not buy the car for mpg so will be turning it off when the SC goes on!

YRMV
Old 04-10-2010, 11:15 AM   #8
jbsrace1

Drives: 2010 2ss
Yes it can be set to only come on above a certain speed like 55mph or what ever you want. I do not know about with hand held tuners but with tunning software it is easy to make it do what you want.

Quote:
Also, I just had a lengthy conversation with my soon-to-be tuner and he said the tables for the AFM are huge and very difficult to tune outside of some very narrow parameters and he even recommended just turning it off.
They are not that huge or hard to work with.
jbsrace1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 11:41 AM   #9
Revo1
Don't Like it? Suggit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbsrace1 View Post
Yes it can be set to only come on above a certain speed like 55mph or what ever you want. I do not know about with hand held tuners but with tunning software it is easy to make it do what you want.

They are not that huge or hard to work with.
Tuning software? I assume this is something I'd have to have done at a shop correct? This is no problem, just tryin to figure out what I'm looking at here...
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypurone View Post
The majority of guys that have tuned the AFM completely out are reporting a max change of 1-2 mpg reduction. Not even close to worrying about in my book.

I personally did not buy the car for mpg so will be turning it off when the SC goes on!

YRMV
Neither am I. I did explain this post right? Thought that would alleviate some of the "It's a musclecar, who cares about economy" stuff... Guess not.

Anyway, explain 'tables'? I'm not familiar with the term.

Old 04-10-2010, 11:42 AM   #10
SGOS252382

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Some posted how they had their car set so that the AFM only came on in 5th and 6th gear at certain speeds and only in D (drive).

But AFM can be very annoying on the highway in 6th gear while cruising. When you gently get on and off the gas to maintain a constant speed, AFM kicks in and makes a weird noise (drone like and didn't sound good on my car).
I was so happy after I got my AFM deleted. Your exhaust always sounds good after you get the AFM deleted.
SGOS252382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 11:47 AM   #11
Revo1
Don't Like it? Suggit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGOS252382 View Post
Some posted how they had their car set so that the AFM only came on in 5th and 6th gear at certain speeds and only in D (drive).

But AFM can be very annoying on the highway in 6th gear while cruising. When you gently get on and off the gas to maintain a constant speed, AFM kicks in and makes a weird noise (drone like and didn't sound good on my car).
I was so happy after I got my AFM deleted. Your exhaust always sounds good after you get the AFM deleted.
It seems like the sound of it must be pretty awful... It may be necessary to tune it out completely in the the end, but would like to try and find a balance if I can.

Is it pretty feasible to buy a reprogrammer, use it to tune the AFM down, and then if it's still killin my ears, then just tune it completely out?

Old 04-10-2010, 11:51 AM   #12
jbsrace1

Here is a screen shot from HP Tuners
Setting Min VSS to 55 will keep it from activating bellow 55
Attached Images

Old 04-10-2010, 11:53 AM   #13
Revo1
Don't Like it? Suggit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbsrace1 View Post
Here is a screen shot from HP Tuners
Setting Min VSS to 55 will keep it from activating bellow 55
WOW. And you did this at home??

Old 04-10-2010, 12:12 PM   #14
jbsrace1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revo1 View Post
WOW. And you did this at home??
Actually I am at work rite now.
I own a automotive repair shop.