Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 03-09-2009, 04:40 AM   #1
Supermans
Camaro & Stang Enthusiast

Drives: 2011 Mustang 5.0 in Kona Blue
Congress Should Stop Giving GM Funds

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...efer=worldwide

Congress Should Stop Giving GM Funds, Republican Lawmakers Say

By Nadine Elsibai

March 8 (Bloomberg) -- Republican lawmakers said Congress should stop providing General Motors Corp. with federal aid and let the company file for bankruptcy if necessary.

“The best thing that could probably happen to General Motors, in my view, is they go into Chapter 11,” Senator John McCain said on the “Fox News Sunday” program today.

The automaker could reorganize and renegotiate its labor contracts to come out “stronger, better, leaner,” McCain, from Arizona, said.

GM is cutting executive pay and will eliminate 47,000 jobs this year as part of a restructuring required to keep $13.4 billion in U.S. loans. GM’s Chief Executive Officer Rick Wagoner is seeking to persuade the U.S. Treasury to lend the carmaker as much as $16.6 billion more to survive.

The largest U.S. automaker has lost $82 billion since its last annual profit in 2004 and has been fending off speculation about bankruptcy for more than two years.

U.S. auto sales plunged 18 percent to a 16-year low in 2008, affecting GM, Ford Motor Co. and Chrysler LLC.

Senator Richard Shelby, the top ranking Republican on the Banking Committee, said on ABC’s “This Week” program that “subsidization of anything for very long never works.”

“The automobile business -- those companies, Chrysler, Ford and General Motors -- they’re in deep trouble,” Shelby, of Alabama, said. “I’ve suggested they go into Chapter 11. That’s where they belong. And they could reorganize.”

A Viable Company

House Minority Leader John Boehner said the government shouldn’t give GM any more money “until General Motors shows that they can be a viable company for the long term.”

“Anything short of that is just throwing good money after bad,” Boehner said on CBS’s “Face the Nation” program today.

A voicemail left seeking comment from GM today wasn’t immediately returned.

The Federal Reserve’s Term Asset-Backed Securities Loan Facility program, or TALF, may help struggling automakers raise cash to make loans to consumers.

TALF’s aim is to bring investors back to the market for bonds backed by auto loans, credit cards, student loans and small businesses.

The Fed will start disbursing TALF funds March 25 to prop up the market for consumer and small business loans, the central bank said on March 3. The program was originally set to start in February.

‘Not Life Support’

“Any money we give to the auto industry must be a lifeline, not life support,” House Speaker Nancy Pelosi told reporters at a weekly press briefing March 5, saying the ultimate decision remains with the administration. “This isn’t endless. But there has to be a sign of viability. And this needs to happen, and it needs to happen soon.”

In a statement released two days ago responding to a Wall Street Journal report, the automaker said that “GM has not changed its position on bankruptcy.”

“As we’ve demonstrated through a series of actions, GM is moving quickly and aggressively to restructure the business, and achieving that outside of court remains the best solution for GM and its constituents,”
Old 03-09-2009, 10:00 AM   #2
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
On Sarcasm

That title isn't the most biased representation possible. I would expect nothing less of an article about GM. The Malibu, CTS, Cobalt, and G8 show no signs of competing with the market. Their unimpressive ratings and reviews reflect no interest in competing with the market in areas of performance, fuel efficiency, comfort, and luxury. This complete lack of competitive will is most evident in platforms that do show up at the track, only to score 7:22.6 at the Nurburgring. GM doesn't have the most cars producing over 30 mpg on the highway, and all of those E85 cars are a hoax.

Seriously, Congress wants GM to produce impotent cars to kill it. It's amazing. They want fuel efficient city cars, no trucks, and no performance vehicles. Let's not forget that the competitive imports are loving the possibility that American sports cars would no longer be competing with their products. It would be great if the Republican side of Congress looked outside and saw all of the GM cars on the street that show that people buy their products or that GM was a victim of a credit crunch.

Call your elected officials.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 10:06 AM   #3
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
GM has evaluated multiple bankruptcy senarios as congress asked them too. These are outlined IN DETAIL in their viability plan submitted last month. ALL of them are bad news. That should be the end of discussion on this...but everyone's an expert.

And imo -- a bunch of senators' opinions on this is absolutely worthless, as they're all idiots and forever will be. They never make a good decision, never succeed in running anything smoothly or even correctly, but on this subject...well, on this they're suddenly enlightened heroes! The hypocracy of it all stuns me. :(

An open question to anyone who watched the first hearing: How many of those senators live under false assumptions about the Big Three's product lineup? How many of them believe that is the reason they're failing? How many of them believe the big three "don't make products people want to buy"? And how many of them drive Domestic automobiles? A minority. The vast majority got elected on a foundation of lies and money. We should let these people make a decision about one of the single largest industries in the country?!?!

Let me echo The_Blur's statement:
Old 03-09-2009, 10:54 AM   #4
garagelogic
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Shelby GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
GM has evaluated multiple bankruptcy senarios as congress asked them too. These are outlined IN DETAIL in their viability plan submitted last month. ALL of them are bad news. That should be the end of discussion on this...but everyone's an expert.

And imo -- a bunch of senators' opinions on this is absolutely worthless, as they're all idiots and forever will be. They never make a good decision, never succeed in running anything smoothly or even correctly, but on this subject...well, on this they're suddenly enlightened heroes! The hypocracy of it all stuns me. :(

An open question to anyone who watched the first hearing: How many of those senators live under false assumptions about the Big Three's product lineup? How many of them believe that is the reason they're failing? How many of them believe the big three "don't make products people want to buy"? And how many of them drive Domestic automobiles? A minority. The vast majority got elected on a foundation of lies and money. We should let these people make a decision about one of the single largest industries in the country?!?!

Let me echo The_Blur's statement:
I don't think you would be any happier if you did let the people decide. I think you would find that GM and Chrysler would have not gotten the loans they did back in December had the wishes of the American people not been ignored. A majority of people in this country, me included, do not want my tax dollars going to prop up companies that would be doomed to failure eventually without them.
garagelogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 11:02 AM   #5
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by garagelogic View Post
I don't think you would be any happier if you did let the people decide. I think you would find that GM and Chrysler would have not gotten the loans they did back in December had the wishes of the American people not been ignored. A majority of people in this country, me included, do not want my tax dollars going to prop up companies that would be doomed to failure eventually without them.
I agree with you. They probably wouldn't have gotten the loans. And our economy right now might look like a picnic compared to what we'd be going through.

Thankfully, it was up to the president to decide. One relatively intellegent person complimented by a cadre of economic and financial professionals can make smarter, faster decisions than a room full of blithering idiots spouting their false presumptions, and groundless opinions.

Hopefully -- only the people who see and understand the importance of their survival will have enough drive to look up that phone number of their senators, and everyone else will sit at home and b***h at their TV. I can live with that.
Old 03-09-2009, 12:35 PM   #6
dbotsfordtat

Drives: 2016 Camaro
IMO We should stop giving funds to Congress.
dbotsfordtat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 12:43 PM   #7
Chevyrocker
Weekend Rockstar

Drives: Depends on the day...
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbotsfordtat View Post
IMO We should stop giving funds to Congress.
Old 03-09-2009, 12:56 PM   #8
Scott@Bjorn3D

Drives: Kami, 2013 2SS LS3 Luvin
Send a message via MSN to Scott@Bjorn3D
Congress is a joke, give AIG 115 Billion and they lose 65 Billion in a quarter. But no we can't save our last piece of American manufacturing.

Jerks.
Scott@Bjorn3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 01:48 PM   #9
garagelogic
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Shelby GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
I agree with you. They probably wouldn't have gotten the loans. And our economy right now might look like a picnic compared to what we'd be going through.

Thankfully, it was up to the president to decide. One relatively intellegent person complimented by a cadre of economic and financial professionals can make smarter, faster decisions than a room full of blithering idiots spouting their false presumptions, and groundless opinions.

Hopefully -- only the people who see and understand the importance of their survival will have enough drive to look up that phone number of their senators, and everyone else will sit at home and b***h at their TV. I can live with that.
I know there are scores of studies that warn of the "catastrophic" effects of having any or all of the big three go down, but I'm of the opinion that, while it would definitely have a significant negative effect on the economy, the nuclear option of bankruptcy is the best long-term solution.

It's pretty clear what position you take based on your posts and comments, and I believe it to be that GM is too big and too important to let it fail. That's fine, but firing off backhanded insults at people whose opinions differ from your own is not going to help the problem at all.
garagelogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 02:04 PM   #10
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by garagelogic View Post
I know there are scores of studies that warn of the "catastrophic" effects of having any or all of the big three go down, but I'm of the opinion that, while it would definitely have a significant negative effect on the economy, the nuclear option of bankruptcy is the best long-term solution.

It's pretty clear what position you take based on your posts and comments, and I believe it to be that GM is too big and too important to let it fail. That's fine, but firing off backhanded insults at people whose opinions differ from your own is not going to help the problem at all.
I didn't see an insult.

Someone refresh my memory. There was a congressman who admited that they were not financial experts but elected officials who needed to educate themselves and become more informed by the experts who know the business and the numbers. (Romney sure looks good right now) So I agree with Blur and Dragoneye.

Old 03-09-2009, 03:34 PM   #11
Silver Streak

Drives: 2008 Cobalt SS/TC
Send a message via AIM to Silver Streak Send a message via MSN to Silver Streak
And your remarks(garagelogic) are just so uplifting! OMG the irony of you saying that is too much to bare!

"The future is in the windshield, not the rear-view mirror!"

"If you haven't gone a 175 mph on land, you haven't lived! That's just a fact!" - Ricky Bobby
Silver Streak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 11:38 PM   #12
Supermans
Camaro & Stang Enthusiast

Drives: 2011 Mustang 5.0 in Kona Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by irpq11 View Post
I didn't see an insult.

Someone refresh my memory. There was a congressman who admited that they were not financial experts but elected officials who needed to educate themselves and become more informed by the experts who know the business and the numbers. (Romney sure looks good right now) So I agree with Blur and Dragoneye.

You all know where I stand by now..And for those of you new to the forums, I do agree with Rowney's original assessment back before the first auto industry bailout..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Streak View Post
And your remarks(garagelogic) are just so uplifting! OMG the irony of you saying that is too much to bare!
Why do you want the cycle to continue..If another bailout is given, what makes you so sure this time around things will be any different?? Why are so against Chapter 11 and for another bailout?
Old 03-09-2009, 11:56 PM   #13
FAF

Drives: 2010 Camaro, 2008 Tundra
Stop the sufering file chapter 11 and get rid of the us unions if need increase the production in canada and mexico until the us unions are gone no over paid union worker and become competitine and stop whining by the unions be produvctive.
reduce pension plans and get to work.
FAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 12:18 AM   #14
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermans View Post
Why are so against Chapter 11 and for another bailout?
Although this wasn't specifically directed at me . . .

Ch 11 will cost significantly more, will take too long, will never be paid back, and will likely result in Ch 7 anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAF View Post
Stop the sufering file chapter 11 and get rid of the us unions if need increase the production in canada and mexico until the us unions are gone no over paid union worker and become competitine and stop whining by the unions be produvctive.
reduce pension plans and get to work.
Canada has unions too, and the productivity of GM's union plants are right in line with Japanese transplants, in many cases they are more productive. Oh, and they get paid the same amount too. Single biggest difference is the number of retired workers, practically 0 for transplants and thousands upon thousands for the UAW. I won't comment on reducing pension.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote