Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 10-09-2012, 11:02 PM   #15
dcplus14

Drives: '12 Camaro 2SS/RS/Hurst
LMFAO

FYI Pete, your GMPP link in your sig is broken.
[AAC DRL LED's, AAC LED's for trunk, cabin, license plate, CAI Intake, RX Catch Can, Skip shift eliminator, Pedders Sub-Frame Inserts, Pedders Radius Rod Inserts, Pedders Rack & Pinion Bushing, 1LE front and rear sway bars]
dcplus14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 11:13 PM   #16
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcplus14 View Post
LMFAO

FYI Pete, your GMPP link in your sig is broken.
New website Another page needs a re-direct Fixed Thanks
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:00 AM   #17
The 2010 Sin
Dont H8 Me Cuz U Aint Me

Drives: 2016 SS Sedan, 2017 Explorer Sport
I think im going to pull and sell all of my aftermarket suspension and do all upgrades to make it a stock 2013 suspension. My 13 is so much nicer than my 10 its not even funny
Old 10-10-2012, 10:57 AM   #18
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 2010 Sin View Post
I think im going to pull and sell all of my aftermarket suspension and do all upgrades to make it a stock 2013 suspension. My 13 is so much nicer than my 10 its not even funny
Before you do all that, please post a list of what suspension, wheel and tire aftermarket parts you have on your 10.
Old 10-10-2012, 04:35 PM   #19
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
OK....Pete talked me into it.

On order:
FE4 GM LCA
Pedders FE4 End Links
32mm rear bar
Steering column bush (might as well since I'm already getting a shipment)

Hey Pete,
Should I be upgrading the LCA bushings? They may not make enough of a difference to worry about right now.

Also, PM me any good alignment shop in the DFW area that you might know of. I'm guessing I'm going to be doing a FE4 alignment this time.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 06:24 PM   #20
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by caverman View Post
OK....Pete talked me into it.

On order:
FE4 GM LCA
Pedders FE4 End Links
32mm rear bar
Steering column bush (might as well since I'm already getting a shipment)

Hey Pete,
Should I be upgrading the LCA bushings? They may not make enough of a difference to worry about right now.

Also, PM me any good alignment shop in the DFW area that you might know of. I'm guessing I'm going to be doing a FE4 alignment this time.
The main reason to replace the rear lower inner bush is to remove rate. The OE steel jacketed bush is very tight with little rubber between the jacket and ferule. A steel jacketed urethane bush has a free ferule. This allows the springs and dampers to control motion.
Old 10-10-2012, 08:35 PM   #21
The 2010 Sin
Dont H8 Me Cuz U Aint Me

Drives: 2016 SS Sedan, 2017 Explorer Sport
Full hotchkis suspension and endlinks (Springs, Sways, Subframe Connector, Brace)the 2013 is so smooth and feels like it glides through corners more like a vette and mine carves through corners like a rough a** truck that can handle a lil better.

I have the same wheels and tires on both. (22" huntington bolsa's and Nitto's 265&305)

The Hotchkis is a sponsored suspension so I would have to send it back to them. They sent it to me for my audio tours coming up this last fall through this next Dec 2013.
Old 10-10-2012, 09:07 PM   #22
JusticePete

Quote:
Full hotchkis suspension and endlinks (Springs, Sways, Subframe Connector, Brace)the 2013 is so smooth and feels like it glides through corners more like a vette and mine carves through corners like a rough a** truck that can handle a lil better.

I have the same wheels and tires on both. (22" huntington bolsa's and Nitto's 265&305)

The Hotchkis is a sponsored suspension so I would have to send it back to them. They sent it to me for my audio tours coming up this last fall through this next Dec 2013.
How much does all the audio gear weigh?
Old 10-11-2012, 12:37 PM   #23
Parabolica
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS
Quote:

Quote:

Did you change shocks on the '10 as well?

The springs are most likely causing the rough ride on the '10. I can't for a minute imagine any of the other mods causing your rough ride (though I haven't driven a car with subframe connecters so I don't know how much of a difference they make, but I guess it is possible they could remove some compliance that would make the car feel rougher).

Everyone should know going in that changing to a performance spring, or suspension, is going to make the ride rougher; it's a compromise.

I'd hate to see you waste your money on new suspension components that aren't needed. If you don't like the ride, try removing the subframe connecters and go back to the stock coils/shocks. You'll likely find the ride is much better without needing the '13 bits...

As for the FE4, it might be better, but you need to define better. In other-words, if you tried everything (full rear bar & minimum front bar, more front compression damping and/or less rear compression damping, toe settings and tire pressures: more front or less rear or both) and still have too much understeer, then yeah, the FE4 components would be worth a try. I can't imagine GM designed so much understeer it couldn't be dialed out with any combination of the above.

Personally, I can get my car to oversteer with the components I have, I have no need to go to the FE4 or FE5 bits...
Parabolica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 01:33 PM   #24
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
Personally, looking at the difference of how the FE3 end links are flembsie looking and the way they connect compared to the FE4 drop links and the way they connect to the control arm....that's one of the biggest reasons I'm changing.

It reminds me of the '67 with a mono-leaf spring compared to the multi-leaf spring that came on the '69. Improved suspension....
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 02:22 PM   #25
Parabolica
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS
I guess, but let's look at this logically...

The stock Camaro suffers from understeer. If you push the car hard enough to get it to understeer, you need to make some changes, sway bars being one of those changes. The stock end links are flimsy and are generally replaced with a performance bar.

If designed correctly, the aftermarket performance sway bars will get rid of the majority, if not all of the understeer.

The rear FE4 attaches further out on the control arm giving more leverage, or a greater mechanical advantage. I'm not an expert, but because of this design, it would seem logical that one would be able to achieve the same roll resistance of the FE3 setup with a smaller FE4 bar.

At the end of the day, the bars need to work together to achieve the end result. If your car is neutral now, and you stick an FE4 bar on, you'll likely have to run less rear bar then you did with the FE3.

If my car is neutral with an FE3 setup, and your car is neutral with an FE4 setup, how is one better than the other?

Keep in mind, the FE4 was designed to work on a stock car and addresses deficiencies in the stock FE3 design to make the car more neutral, deficiencies the FE3 aftermarket addressed...
Parabolica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 02:26 PM   #26
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parabolica View Post
I guess, but let's look at this logically...

The stock Camaro suffers from understeer. If you push the car hard enough to get it to understeer, you need to make some changes, sway bars being one of those changes. The stock end links are flimsy and are generally replaced with a performance bar.

If designed correctly, the aftermarket performance sway bars will get rid of the majority, if not all of the understeer.

The rear FE4 attaches further out on the control arm giving more leverage, or a greater mechanical advantage. I'm not an expert, but because of this design, it would seem logical that one would be able to achieve the same roll resistance of the FE3 setup with a smaller FE4 bar.

At the end of the day, the bars need to work together to achieve the end result. If your car is neutral now, and you stick an FE4 bar on, you'll likely have to run less rear bar then you did with the FE3.

If my car is neutral with an FE3 setup, and your car is neutral with an FE4 setup, how is one better than the other?

Keep in mind, the FE4 was designed to work on a stock car and addresses deficiencies in the stock FE3 design to make the car more neutral, deficiencies the FE3 aftermarket addressed...
What size bars are you using now?