Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 12-27-2009, 03:35 PM   #1
drtwo

Drives: 2SS RS Yellow, Raptor, Vrod
OnStar price drop?

Will OnStar send out discount prices for keeping the service as time draws near the expiration? Or is the price on their website pretty much what you will pay? I may want to keep OnStar but don't need the navigation.
Old 12-27-2009, 03:43 PM   #2
TooCool5

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LS 3.6 LLT V6 325 HP
They discounted the XM radio for me after I refused it.
Still have the option to take it.
Onstar may be the same.
Old 12-27-2009, 03:49 PM   #3
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
XM is totally separate from On-Star.

On-Star is GM and I doubt the price will change. It never did when it expired on my other GM cars. But you never know..
Old 12-27-2009, 03:54 PM   #4
promod55

Drives: 2010 camaro rs/ss 67 camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooCool5 View Post
They discounted the XM radio for me after I refused it.
Still have the option to take it.
Onstar may be the same.
Check into the lifetime xm i have 4 cars with xm and it is under 500.00
promod55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 03:57 PM   #5
TooCool5

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LS 3.6 LLT V6 325 HP
Kinda like my local stations...
Old 12-27-2009, 04:20 PM   #6
Show-Me-SS

Drives: Saturn Sky,Camaro1SS
When my on-star expired on my saturn sky they wanted to charge me 18.95 a month. I called to cancel and they gave me 100 free minutes on the calling plan and droped the charge to 12.95 a month so I kept it. I have done this a total of 3 times and still pay 12.95 a month so they will drop the price. I didn't even try that hard they were eager to keep me as a customer.
Show-Me-SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 04:31 PM   #7
jdurhan

Drives: 2017 SS 50th Conv., 2016 Siverado
I just went through this with my corvette, call them towards the end of your term and ask how much renewal is. They'll quote you about 199.00, tell them man I think I have cancel,they will transfer you to the cancellation department. This is where all the discounts are given to keep you,they lowered it to 149.00 after I said it just to expensive...I hate to cancel but... New price. Just that easy. I believe it is well worth 149.00.

Forgot to add they extended all my unused phone minutes for another year. In my case that was like 99 minutes, I hardly ever use onstar phone but it is nice to have in case you forget your phone.

Last edited by jdurhan; 12-27-2009 at 05:06 PM.
jdurhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 04:46 PM   #8
flyby

Drives: 2010 Silver SS
I do not know about the price but with the theft protection/recovery advantage I think it is worth the price. I have lojack and onstar. If the car is moved it will be very simple to recover. Hope I never need it but it sure is peace of mind. Well worth it.
flyby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 05:01 PM   #9
1badSS/RS

Drives: Rally Yellow Transformers pkg
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdurhan View Post
I just went through this with my corvette, call them towards the end of your term and ask how much renewal is. They'll quote you about 199.00, tell them man I think I have cancel,they will transfer you to the cancellation department. This is where all the discounts are given to keep you,they lowered it to 149.00 after I said it just to expensive...I hate to cancel but... New price. Just that easy. I believe it is well worth 149.00.
Did the same with my 09 Vette.
1badSS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 08:09 PM   #10
drtwo

Drives: 2SS RS Yellow, Raptor, Vrod
Cool, I hope to do this for the Camaro
Old 12-27-2009, 08:18 PM   #11
OuSoonersGirl
I need a V-1 BAD!

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Show-Me-SS View Post
When my on-star expired on my saturn sky they wanted to charge me 18.95 a month. I called to cancel and they gave me 100 free minutes on the calling plan and droped the charge to 12.95 a month so I kept it. I have done this a total of 3 times and still pay 12.95 a month so they will drop the price. I didn't even try that hard they were eager to keep me as a customer.
I wish I had done this when it expired on my Sky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdurhan View Post

Forgot to add they extended all my unused phone minutes for another year. In my case that was like 99 minutes, I hardly ever use onstar phone but it is nice to have in case you forget your phone.
Very worth it I think too. I really like Onstar and even though I could live without XM....just dont think so with Onstar. I will try to see if I can get a discount price too. Worth a try!
OuSoonersGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 08:51 PM   #12
camarokat

Drives: ABM, 2LT/RS, sunroof, v6 auto
Hi everyone,

Please tell me what it is about Onstar that you like?! I have only had my car for one month, and I have not used the Onstar at all after the dealer set it up for me. This is my first car with Onstar by the way. I don't know if this will change over the trial period or not... but besides the possibility of locating a stolen car or in the case of an accident, I'm not feeling the Onstar love yet.

I'm actually a little intimidated to think about the way that Onstar can track a person. It seems sort of "big brotherish."

I was washing/detailing my car today and I'd moved it out into the driveway. Then after I washed it I moved it back into the garage. The car only moved @ 15 feet total mind you.. When the key was removed and in my pocket, I was working on the interior with the door was open... then Onstar started to talk to me! I freaked out when I heard that voice come out of nowhere!!! I was instructed to "push the button to hear an explanation of service blah blah blah" and I sort of froze. Then I was told that I could push something else to exit the menu, so I did... it was weird to hear that voice come out of nowhere!

I'm not sure if this is something that I like. I am open to hearing the reasons why Onstar is a good thing to pay for otherwise though. Please enlighten me...
camarokat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 09:11 PM   #13
Rocketright

Drives: 2006 Acura RSX - S
Most people like it because if you're in an accident and nobody is around, it gives you a little piece of mind that they can tell and it could be the matter of life or death. Or if you're stuck in a ditch or anything you can call them for their customer support I believe. Well pressing the button.

I like the idea, nice and safe.
Rocketright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 09:34 PM   #14
Frank in MD
Raining Blood

Drives: 2014 SS Performance Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by camarokat View Post
I was washing/detailing my car today and I was working on the interior with the door was open... then Onstar started to talk to me! I freaked out when I heard that voice come out of nowhere!!! I was instructed to "push the button to hear an explanation of service blah blah blah" and I sort of froze. Then I was told that I could push something else to exit the menu, so I did... it was weird to hear that voice come out of nowhere!

I'm not sure if this is something that I like. I am open to hearing the reasons why Onstar is a good thing to pay for otherwise though. Please enlighten me...
Onstar doesn't initiate contact. Are you sure that you did not inadvertently press either the onstar button on the RVM, or the hands free calling button on the wheel?

Either way, try to think of Onstar like an extra insurance policy. It's there in case you need it, & better to have it and never need it, than it is to really need it, and not have it....

2014 SS Performance Sedan #2974 - Red Hot 2 - S/R. & Spare. Built 01/09/14 #238 of 291 as configured
Frank in MD is offline   Reply With Quote