Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Old 12-06-2013, 12:00 PM   #57
Jims Mongoose
Jim

Drives: 2013 Black 2SS 1LE
It really doesn't matter

I don't care what Ford does. I would rather put $10,000 to $20,000 grand in mods over the next bunch of years then buy a Ford. When you trade over to any car you always lose money so I believe the mods are worth it.

I don't even like the name Ford. I have never liked the steering feel of a Ford.

If GM came out with a new lighter weight Camaro with more power I might consider it but It would have to be styled perfect and it would have to be before I've done significant mods to mine.

I believe that the current Camaro will go down as a 'Timeless' design that many people keep and continue to Mod.

I also think that we Camaro guys will always be unable to buy a Camaro that has the Horsepower we want from the factory because they cannot challenge the Vette.

Just Sayin

By the way for any Ford guys trolling this site no offense to your cars. I know many of you feel the same way about your cars.

Jim
Jims Mongoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 12:13 PM   #58
antimatr

Drives: 4 wheels + engine
Hell, I've already done it once over 8 years ago. GM made a valiant effort 3 years ago, but since the local Chevy dealers were more interested in giving me a financial reach-around than actually giving me a good deal (the 2SS and GT I had optioned out were within $500 of each other), Ford won round two.

I'm not a brand loyalist by any means (to me, brand loyalty is worth about the same as what I just flushed down my toilet before I posted this). But when it comes to what's going to sit in my garage, it has to meet my criteria for aesthetics, performance, and most important of all, PRICE. The Camaro SS and Mustang GT met the first two easily, but the Chevy dealers failed utterly on the third.

That said, I'm not rushing to call my Ford dealer to put to a deposit on a 2015 GT, not until I see what GM and Chrysler put on the table (and hopefully the dealers will be less greedy this time around...).

Gone: 2011 Ford Mustang GT Premium (Sterling Gray Metallic, HID/Security Pkg, Brembo Pkg, 6M)
Current: 2015 Dodge Challenger R/T Scat Pack (Ivory White Tri-coat Pearl, Driver Convenience Grp, Leather Interior Grp, 8A)
Future(?): 2018 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS (Hyper Blue Metallic, NPP, 56R, 6M) or Ford Mustang GT Premium (Lightning Blue Metallic, Active Exhaust, Performance Package, 401A Package, Spoiler Delete, 6M)
antimatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 12:16 PM   #59
Q'smuscle
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 Camaro VR 2SS/RS & Impala
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jims Mongoose View Post
I don't care what Ford does. I would rather put $10,000 to $20,000 grand in mods over the next bunch of years then buy a Ford. When you trade over to any car you always lose money so I believe the mods are worth it.

I don't even like the name Ford. I have never liked the steering feel of a Ford.

If GM came out with a new lighter weight Camaro with more power I might consider it but It would have to be styled perfect and it would have to be before I've done significant mods to mine.

I believe that the current Camaro will go down as a 'Timeless' design that many people keep and continue to Mod.

I also think that we Camaro guys will always be unable to buy a Camaro that has the Horsepower we want from the factory because they cannot challenge the Vette.
Just Sayin

By the way for any Ford guys trolling this site no offense to your cars. I know many of you feel the same way about your cars.

Jim
100% agree! But The steering wheel I really don't remember the feel.
Q'smuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 12:31 PM   #60
chain777

Drives: Slow
Quote:
Originally Posted by VADER SS L99 View Post
How sure are you on that? I really hope your right but I wouldn't be too sure. The GT is no longer the 2nd highest performing or expensive car in the Mustang lineup. The base is the V6, then the turbo 4 is a upgrade, the 5.0 GT will be at the top (at least for a year or two). The new chassis, re design, engine upgrades, IRS, bigger brakes, better suspension is going to cost more money than the out going model. If the GT starts out at 35K and ends up weighing 3400lbs then that would be the bargain of the century and I would be getting me one. I just don't see it happening. Hope I'm wrong because it would be a win for everyone. It would force GM to really dig deep and make the Camaro and Vette for that matter much better than they currently are.
When the 2011 came out with the 5.0, six speed transmissions, and upgraded suspensions, brakes and tech, it was speculated that there would be a big price increase. It went up about $2500.

The 2015 will probably increase by a similar amount, with a base GT starting in the 34K to 35K range...all my opinion based on past pricing history and current competitive pricing in the segment. I can see the base V6 starting in the 23K to 24K range, and the Ecoboost a couple grand premium over that. That still leaves plenty of room for a GT in the mid thirties.

So $35K is realistic, but the 3400lb curb weight might be optimistic, 3500lbs will probably be closer to reality. The Ecoboost I can see in the 3400lb range.
chain777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 12:41 PM   #61
JAZ

Drives: 86 Mustang GT Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraxum View Post
Just curious, what are the reasons for the Mustang hate? Is it purely styling? The owners are exactly like us...
That is a great question that I often ponder for myself.

Being a longtime Ford and Mustang guy, I sometimes find I have to stop myself from being negative about a nice looking Camaro that I see on the road. Styling probably has almost nothing to do with why I react like that.

I think that one answer is that I have never known anyone with a Camaro and haven't built that immediate sense of "The owners are exactly like us". I can tell myself that, and I can believe that, but I don't feel that. It's as if you Camaro guys are foreigners and therefore suspect. Bigotry.

The same goes for my knowledge about Camaros. I know the history of Mustangs very well, and have driven or rode in many of them. I know little about Camaros. It's as if Camaros are European cars or something and I don't feel like spending the time to get to know them. It's easier to tell myself I don't like them. Prejudice.

After many years as a Mustang fan I feel like I am on some kind of a team. I have many friends who are Mustang owners, and I belong to a couple of Mustang clubs. Breaking that history might be like being a traitor to "My Team". The 'Team' thing gets in the way of good judgement in many areas. Politics, sports, friendships. It can be inhibiting. Stupidity.

Something that I have always wanted to do in my pursuit of a cure for my condition is to do a road trip with a bunch of Mustang and Camaro owners. Road trips can overcome many ills.
JAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 12:53 PM   #62
fastfreddie
FreakyFast!

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS S/C NicKey #55
I'm GM all the way, all the time. However, if I wasn't, I don't like the new Mustang. I think Ford screwed up with their redesign. Looks too much like the Fusion and it appears to me that Ford is going with the same front end design on all their product line with minor tweaks. Still, they all look the same. The new Mustang has no Muscle Car look to it all now. I hope GM take's note and doesn't follow suit with the 6th Gen Camaro.

2010 2SS/RS #55 NicKey Stage 2S Super-Camaro custom painted by Pete (Mr. Showstopper)
Build Thread: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=250743
fastfreddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 01:23 PM   #63
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfreddie View Post
I'm GM all the way, all the time.
I am not on any team. When cars I liked started getting built in the eighties, I bought Mustangs and a Lincoln (Mark VII) as they were way ahead of the Chevys and Pontiacs. Later in '93 GM jumped ahead with he 4th gen Fbody. But while I remember my three Fbodys fondly, I am happy not to own or work on them any more. Some questionable engineering there. At the end of 2010 I wanted to jump back into V8 rear wheel drive game and with the 5.0 coming out I felt both the Camaro and Mustang were about equal. I still feel that way. Each has its own positives and negatives. I ended up buying a Camaro SS purely because the Chevy dealer gave me big money for my '97 TA WS6. Then later the IOM 1LE called to me in a Chevy showroom surrounded by 427 Corvettes.

I am happy with my 1LE for now but I know in 2 or 3 years my mind will start wandering. I guess I have trouble with commitment. When that happens I will pick the best car available to me at an affordable price and I do not care which brand it is or where it was made. Like it or not all cars are global now.

Mustang and Challenger owners are also great people and their cars are great too. If you go to any type of race track where everyone is competing together all the BS disappears and we are all just a bunch of car nuts with a lot in common helping each other. Try it.
Old 12-06-2013, 03:15 PM   #64
87GNX

Drives: Alot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraxum View Post
We will have to agree to disagree on that. But I also like the '14 refresh.
The mustang would have been a knockout if they didn't use the front fascia from fusion/taurus. That killed it for me and for alot of people. The rest of the is fine.
87GNX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 03:50 PM   #65
Biscuitpie

Drives: '11 Cammed LS3, '14 Scion FRS
Sure, if I still had it. The interior alone is worth it to me.

SOLD with a Z06 in the not too distant future: Cammed, boltons, axles, lowered, and more. | 476 WHP
Biscuitpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 03:57 PM   #66
Q'smuscle
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 Camaro VR 2SS/RS & Impala
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuitpie View Post
Sure, if I still had it. The interior alone is worth it to me.
Nobody waved?
Q'smuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 04:19 PM   #67
MichaelH
SOCAL HT5

Drives: 2013 BRM ZL1 M6
No. The thing looks disgusting

Old vehicles
2010 CGM Camaro (sold)
Other Vehicles:
2008 Kawasaki ZX6R-115 RWHP in mid summer
2006 Chevy Trailblazer SS- For Sale; Lots of extras
MichaelH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 04:23 PM   #68
87GNX

Drives: Alot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Q'smuscle View Post
Nobody waved?
Apparently not
87GNX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 04:49 PM   #69
AzItaliaSS

Drives: 2010 2ss RJT LS3 GONE....
Honestly regarding the mustang Im keeping an open mind until I see it in person, I have seen the 2014 Camaro "refresh" in person' and EEHH, plasticass rear..taillights..blah
So as far as the mustang atleast they didnt cheap out the backend and make the current owners go "WTF" like many of us did from GM. Not saying I would switch as Im generally not impressed by mustangs. But judging from a step back, neutral,or stepup I definitly think they didnt go back like camaros did with the refresh debacle.

VARARAM, SWSP 1 7/8 LT'S,X-PIPE,CAT DELETE,DYNOMAX RACE BULLETTS, LSR SHORT SHIFTER ,CUSTOM BLACK EMBLEMS,MPD1 SPOILER, HP TUNE BY GEARHEAD GARAGE, INTERIOR ABL LIGHTING, CUSTOM STRIPING BY BEAVER STRIPES, EIBACHS
AzItaliaSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 05:13 PM   #70
Biscuitpie

Drives: '11 Cammed LS3, '14 Scion FRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Q'smuscle View Post
Nobody waved?
Hahaha I get your reference but no, I don't choose my cars based on the opinions of others or brand loyalty. If I like it, I like it. Doesn't matter if it's a Honda, Chevy, Ford, etc. I sure as hell wouldn't sell it because someone with the same car didn't wave at me.

SOLD with a Z06 in the not too distant future: Cammed, boltons, axles, lowered, and more. | 476 WHP
Biscuitpie is offline   Reply With Quote