Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 01-14-2014, 09:18 PM   #1
tekteq
HT5 in the 626

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS/RS
L99 Stock H Pipe vs Aftermarket H pipe

After some forum browsing I've decided to go with the H pipe over the X pipe for sound and low end torque purposes. I have one last question before I head to the muffler shop, is there a sound or performance difference between the stock L99 giant resonators and an aftermarket H pipe? Thanks!

2014 L99 Camaro 2SS/RS ~ Flowmaster American Thunder Catback ~ Cold Air Inductions CAI ~ VMAX Ported TB ~ ARH Catted LTs ~ Tuned by Ted @ JRE

A wise man once said, he who eats crackers in bed get crummy sleep.
tekteq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 09:40 PM   #2
shiznight

Drives: 2010 camaro ss l99
You'll start to hear more exhaust tone. When i had my stock resonator taken off i saw where it was choking the exhaust flow. The car was a bit raspier, but Im still on stock mufflers. The exhaust tone didnt really change until i deleted the cats and went with long tubes. I have videos of my car at wot. But this forums isn't a fan of street contests so i cant post them

Edit: you wont hear a giant difference on h vs x. It will be a qualitative difference that you alone will notice
but unless you pay to do both and listen to which you like better, there isn't a solid answer

TSP vvt-1 cam, Headers-catless xpipe, Knn intake 417/422
Nitrous 100 wet shot 520/585
Racestar super 94 17x4.5/17x9.5
highest trap to date 120.6mph
12.0@spinfest. rage
shiznight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 09:46 PM   #3
tekteq
HT5 in the 626

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiznight View Post
You'll start to hear more exhaust tone. When i had my stock resonator taken off i saw where it was choking the exhaust flow. The car was a bit raspier, but Im still on stock mufflers. The exhaust tone didnt really change until i deleted the cats and went with long tubes. I have videos of my car at wot. But this forums isn't a fan of street contests so i cant post them

Edit: you wont hear a giant difference on h vs x. It will be a qualitative difference that you alone will notice
but unless you pay to do both and listen to which you like better, there isn't a solid answer
My current setup is relatively loud but the more the merrier I've heard that x pipes give more high end tq/hp but lose low end tq/hp plus they sound more modern. I prefer the oldschool muscle tone so I want to go with the H pipes. My only concern is I don't want to lose power!

2014 L99 Camaro 2SS/RS ~ Flowmaster American Thunder Catback ~ Cold Air Inductions CAI ~ VMAX Ported TB ~ ARH Catted LTs ~ Tuned by Ted @ JRE

Old 01-15-2014, 08:44 PM   #4
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
There's not going to be much if any difference in HP/Tq between the two. You just need to have a crossover of some sort in there. The L99 resonator is not only your H pipe but it's also a resonator that quiets the tone a little. A regular X or H pipe, without a resonator, will make the exhaust a little louder, but not much. From what they say, the H pipe gives a little more "old school" sound while the X is a little more exotic. Neither is overwhelmingly different.
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 01:05 AM   #5
ARES5
ARES5

Drives: 2012 1SS Victory Red
Your going to hear that AFM kick in and out ALOT more. Thats why the L99 has that huge resonator. To cover the noise of AFM working. The LS3 has tiny resonators since they dont have AFM. Instead they have the Skip Shift to save gas. You'll definatly want a tune after your tired of hearing 4 cyl mode.
ARES5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 01:32 AM   #6
tekteq
HT5 in the 626

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARES5 View Post
Your going to hear that AFM kick in and out ALOT more. Thats why the L99 has that huge resonator. To cover the noise of AFM working. The LS3 has tiny resonators since they dont have AFM. Instead they have the Skip Shift to save gas. You'll definatly want a tune after your tired of hearing 4 cyl mode.
I got the Range AFM delete, AFM is no problem for me. Does the L99 also have skipshift?

Old 01-16-2014, 02:32 AM   #7
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by tekteq View Post
Does the L99 also have skipshift?
Yes it does. Put it in "M" and upshift to 2nd before you start.
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 07:34 PM   #8
Rogan
No Pain No Gain

Drives: Yellow 5th Gen 2SS RS
My resonator or one of them is blown. Did this mod add drone inside? I had that on my old camaro and a little in my old vette... not interested in that, so I'm checking before I make the move.

I have headers and stock exhaust and love hit sounds when daily driving..quiet.
Old 04-24-2014, 07:53 PM   #9
alanhurst
Master Chief

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS RS L99
I went with an aftermarket H pipe for the same reasons. I did a cat back and dumped the stock resonator and mufflers. If you go to a 3 in exhaust pipe along with diff. mufflers,there is a huge difference in sound,it sounds great and I have never regretted it.
Old 04-25-2014, 01:14 AM   #10
tekteq
HT5 in the 626

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogan View Post
My resonator or one of them is blown. Did this mod add drone inside? I had that on my old camaro and a little in my old vette... not interested in that, so I'm checking before I make the move.

I have headers and stock exhaust and love hit sounds when daily driving..quiet.
If quiet is what you are looking for...don't get an x-pipe lol! Ultimately I went with an X-pipe over an H-pipe for my setup and drone is extreme. I used to be able to handle it as sort of sound bonus but now I think I need J-pipes...no noticeable performance gain but it is definitely louder on throttle and idle.

Old 04-25-2014, 05:29 AM   #11
Rogan
No Pain No Gain

Looks like H is the way to go for my needs. Thanks
Old 04-25-2014, 05:30 AM   #12
Rogan
No Pain No Gain

x pipe with different mufflers for those interested.

goto 1:09

Old 04-25-2014, 08:33 AM   #13
Pace
Lifestyle = Deathstyle

Drives: 11 SIM 2SS/RS
Send a message via AIM to Pace
You should ask Ted @ JRE. If you are tuned by him, he will give you the best advice. He told me to stick with my stock mid pipe and it was the best advice for my taste (L99)!
Old 04-25-2014, 08:59 AM   #14
Rogan
No Pain No Gain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pace View Post
You should ask Ted @ JRE. If you are tuned by him, he will give you the best advice. He told me to stick with my stock mid pipe and it was the best advice for my taste (L99)!
Since I road course the car - I hear it's only a matter of time before the headers screw up a replacement resonator.