Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 06-27-2011, 07:23 PM   #1
DarkObsession

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS2/LS3
Clunking/clattering noise when pressing clutch - INFO HERE

So I just got back from visiting my parents. My dad is the service manager at a Chevy dealer (and ASE certified master mechanic) and so while I was there, we decided to check out this noise I've been having on my car since day one when I drove it off the lot with 7 miles on the odometer.

First, a description of the noise: Basically, when I push the clutch in, there is a clunking type of noise that comes from underneath the car. You can also feel a very slight vibration in the shifter. It's basically the same thing as described in this thread: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=152980

Anyway, we put the car up on a lift with me in it and I pumped the clutch. The noise is coming from the bellhousing area but neither my dad nor another tech could really identify what it was.

We called GM to see what they thought and they said that there were 5 (now 6 counting mine) issues open with this. In 4 of the cases, the noise was determined to be normal and in the 5th case, they replaced the clutch and all the associated parts and the noise remained.

After hearing that, we went up to the showroom and fired up a brand new 11 SS/LS3 to see what it sounded like. Sure enough, on my first clutch press, the noise was there.

So I'm pretty satisfied that it is a normal noise. I just thought I'd post this for everyone else who might have been having this issue and was worried. I'm going to keep an eye on it but it seems like a normal LS3/TR6060 noise at this point. The alternative is to tear it apart and inspect the clutch and all the associated parts but... I'm not anxious to do that.

Hope this helps.
Old 06-29-2011, 12:33 PM   #2
MillerTime
Blowin the doors off!

Drives: A 2013 SS RS 6M SR
I'm having the same issue, only it's just on the application, that noise is normal. It's when idling in neutral that you hear rattling and the rotational grinding. Also have a whine under load in 1st 2nd and 3rd gears. 4th up you cant hear because of my exhaust...

2G1FS1EWXD9163847

MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 01:39 PM   #3
DarkObsession

Some rattling while idling is normal as well though it shouldn't be insanely loud. The whining is something else all together and should probably be looked at.
Old 06-29-2011, 01:50 PM   #4
Synner

Drives: cars
The vettes do it too and they call it "parade clunk" or something like that. Most aftermarket clutches get rid of it but not all of them. I was going through a bunch of vette and ctsv forums reading up on clutches since most companies were selling comparable units to that market for years before the camaro came out. A bit more history on what works and what makes noises or fails if you're interested in looking at a replacement. I'd rather hear from someone whos owned a clutch for years and see how it holds up, the camaro is too new of a platform to get a lot of feedback on longevity.

Mine clunks now and then too but as long as its shifting fine and nothing grinds I don't worry about it. Eventually it'll get replaced with something beefier that hopefully has good manners.
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 11:57 AM   #5
DarkObsession

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synner View Post
The vettes do it too and they call it "parade clunk" or something like that. Most aftermarket clutches get rid of it but not all of them. I was going through a bunch of vette and ctsv forums reading up on clutches since most companies were selling comparable units to that market for years before the camaro came out. A bit more history on what works and what makes noises or fails if you're interested in looking at a replacement. I'd rather hear from someone whos owned a clutch for years and see how it holds up, the camaro is too new of a platform to get a lot of feedback on longevity.

Mine clunks now and then too but as long as its shifting fine and nothing grinds I don't worry about it. Eventually it'll get replaced with something beefier that hopefully has good manners.
I definitely agree with this: I feel like the noise is probably normal but the platform is very new and we should definitely keep an eye on it.

In the meantime, I'm not going to stress about the noise.
Old 06-30-2011, 12:51 PM   #6
My 5th

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6 Black on Black
I always felt the clunk was coming from the rear end. Too much backlash in the ring & pinion IMHO. But it could also just be the combined "slack" in the clutch, transmission, driveshaft and ring & pinion. I'd like a Final Solution that would eliminate the noise completely--that the noise exists at all is bad engineering. Never had it in any of my previous Camaros nor my Corvette.
Old 01-07-2012, 02:49 PM   #7
stlrammer

Drives: 2017 1SS Blue
I have the same clunk on mine. Its kinda random. When it happens I usually have a load on the tranny (going up a hill slow and pressing in the clutch). Its much less likely to occur on level or downhill runs (but on ocassions it just does it). There is a GM Service Bullentin on this, per my dealer, that says its a normal condition. I feel a similar random clunk when driving my daughter's 6 cly 6 speed Camaro too.
Old 06-28-2012, 08:29 AM   #8
Bcarr

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS 45th Convertible
Thanks guys. I never noticed this on mine but I am sure I will now! LOL

Bcarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 02:37 PM   #9
chowland

Drives: 2012 Camaro 1LT RS, IBM
Bought my 2012 1LT RS M6 1 week ago and I am having this issue. I went to the dealer this past Saturday but their "transmission guy" wasn't there so they said I had to come back on Monday. One of the techs rode with me and agreed it did not sound correct. I'll try to go back during the week and see what they say.
chowland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 04:16 PM   #10
pdogii
JR-n-Tina

Drives: 2012 White/Black 2SS/RS M6
I have similar "clunk" issues too. My Chevy dealer gave me the attached document to keep and read. It's not specific to Camaros but explains what they feel is "normal".

The tech checked suspension and driveline components on the lift, checked for GM documentation, test drove my car, and tested a new one off the showroom floor. Both vehicles had the noise under the same conditions.

Based on what I'm reading, my symptoms point to gear rattle and/or backlash.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Manual Transmission Operating Characteristics.pdf (3.51 MB, 1087 views)

pdogii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 09:00 PM   #11
2010_camaro

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS
I had the same issue and it was the dual mass flywheel. Dealer said it was normal. I call bullshit on that. A new car should not make a noise like that. I pulled the tranny out and the dual mass was junk. It had about an inch of rotating play. I replaced the flywheel and clutch and its quiet now. Shifts better too.
2010_camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 09:08 PM   #12
chowland

Drives: 2012 Camaro 1LT RS, IBM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010_camaro View Post
I had the same issue and it was the dual mass flywheel. Dealer said it was normal. I call bullshit on that. A new car should not make a noise like that. I pulled the tranny out and the dual mass was junk. It had about an inch of rotating play. I replaced the flywheel and clutch and its quiet now. Shifts better too.
What did you replace the flywheel with? Aftermarket? Do you know if the stock flywheel could be adjusted to reduce the noise?
chowland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 09:18 PM   #13
2010_camaro

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS
No adjustments I know of. I replace with a aftermarket clutch kit. I hate to say it but I went with a SPEC. clutch and flywheel. I couldnt find any other Kits for the v6.
2010_camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 06:26 AM   #14
GraySS2011

Drives: 2011 Cyber Gray 2SS 6 speed
My 2011 ssrs mn6 does this

1. Shifter is in neutral
2. Motor is running. Car is not moving. My right foot is on the brake
3. I press the clutch to the floor and then bring it up normally
4. As the clutcht is about a third of the way up I hear a clunk

Does not happen with engine off

If I pump the clutch I hear clunk clunk clunk

is this the same issue?