Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > Canada

Old 07-22-2010, 12:55 AM   #1
Blacamaro

Drives: Black 2011 2SS/RS
Cruise meets in the London, St. Thomas area

Anyone in the London area going to the Cruise meet at Steve Plunkett's farm in Hyde Park?

http://www.countrycruizin.com/

It's one of the bigger Cruise meets in the area (there are a lot of good ones here btw). They get upwards of 200 cars most weeks.

I'll be there with our Black 2011 SS so I should be easy to spot.

So far this week we've been to Tillsonburg on Tuesday, a top notch Cruise on a cut grass field next to the Wendy's (the one by highway three), where they had 100 or so cars (and the guy told me this was his poorest turnout so far). They have a lot of good sponsors with many door prizes and a 50-50 draw. We had the only 5th Gen there and there was one 1st Gen. This is a well organized cruise meet, among the best you'll find in a small town setting.

On Wednesday we went to the Aylmer cruise meet. This is at the ICS parking lot beside the MacDonald's. There were about 30-40 cars there. We had the only 5th Gen and there was one 1st Gen, an SS 396 four speed car. This is a low key meet where everyone seems to know a lot of the others there, most from St. Thomas and Aylmer. If you had nothing to do on a Wednesday it would be worth checking out although it's certainly one of the lesser cruises in the area.

Thursday is Steve Plunkett's cruise which I hear is the best in the area.

Friday night is street machine night at St. Thomas Dragway. Not exactly a cruise meet but close. I'll have the only 5th Gen there in a sea of Mustangs and Ricers. There was a black Challenger RT in the VIP area last week getting a lot of attention last week. This week I'll rain on his parade by parking my SS there also. There'll be 25-50 people racing and maybe a 100-200 spectators. Time trials only, lots of grudge racing and on the spot challenges and such. And lots of wandering around looking at cars and comparing notes.

Saturday is a big day for cruising in St. Thomas. There is the Lions Club cruise at the Elgin Mall/Dan Patterson Conservation Area, and there is the A&W cruise downtown, both worthwhile cruises to attend. I may or may not make it depending on whether we go to the stock car track or stay home and go to the cruise.

Sunday is the big cruise at the Dundas and Clark Road Canadian Tire in London. This is another large and popular cruise and a must go for anyone in the area. We will probably be there this Sunday.

There are other cruises in the area. There are apparently cruises at most A&Ws on Tuesdays including the A&W on Highbury. There are cruises in Simcoe and Woodstock I need to pin down. There is a cruise in Strathroy. There are big cruises in Sarnia, Chatham and Windsor (getting a little too far). Over the next few weeks I want to attend as many as I can and find out which are the better ones. Like the Tillsonburg cruise was a big surprise.

If Anyone in the area has anything to add or would like to get a 5th Gen line up going at the local cruises then jump in.
Blacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 01:34 AM   #2
Risquee
Camaro Lover

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT Transformer SE
Hey this is great info thanks! I haven't made it to any of the Cruise nights yet but plan to. I work weekends so they are out. Hopefully I see you at one soon. I drove by your house and saw your car. NICE. The UPS man who delivered my CAI today spent 10 minutes telling me all about your car.
Purchase Date: 6/4/2010
Risquee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 01:57 AM   #3
Blacamaro

How do you know it was my car?

I've seen one other Black 5th Gen in the area already. On highway three headed east out of St. Thomas with a girl driving.

I'm in St. Thomas on Elm Street.

I have had the K&N kit on mine since it was one home less than a week. I got the all black unit (it gives .4 hp more than the chrome one). I felt it made a big difference in responsiveness (it hits more violently when you nail it).

I've seen a Yellow car like yours, could have been you...
Old 07-22-2010, 12:09 PM   #4
Risquee
Camaro Lover

If you are on Elm it wasn't your car I saw. I am across from the old St. Gabe's so we are almost neighbours. . There is also a CGM Camaro in our neighbourhood. I saw another yellow one in town, no stripes. Also saw a red one with black stripes. I've seen these a couple of times so I am sure they are in town. I pretty sure I am the only Transformer in town. I'm surprised some of these haven't been out to the cruises or Sparta.
I have never participated in a Cruise event, although I have been to many just to drool. I'd like to go just because I am sure there is a lot one can learn from other car owners.
Old 07-23-2010, 12:53 AM   #5
Blacamaro

Well we drove through intermittent drizzle going to Steve Plunkett's Country Cruising in Hyde Park only to find they had already broke it up because of rain (after the rain had blown over and it was cleared up).

Today was the first day this week with no rain forecast and it actual rained. Tuesday and Wednesday both had rain forecast and it never rained and the Cruise events went well.

Following this logic since rain is forecast for Friday, Saturday and Sunday it'll be clear all weekend.
Old 07-23-2010, 09:51 AM   #6
Thrillz

Drives: 2019 Dodge Daytona R/T
I've been meaning to do some of these this year but i have been so busy. Here is a link to all the one's i know of http://www.oxfordautosales.com/cruise/ . To be honest i would have thought lots of 5 gens were showing up to these this year.
Old 07-23-2010, 11:37 AM   #7
Risquee
Camaro Lover

I am going to try to make it to Plunkett's next Thursday. Also I think I am off next weekend so I'll check out the St. Thomas meet.
Old 07-23-2010, 03:13 PM   #8
Blacamaro

I'm going to keep posting my comings and goings and cruise reports on here incase anyone is interested. Also to draw any locals out of the woodwork here.

We've had a lot of rain here this afternoon although it may be clearing up. If I do bring out the SS I'll try and tour by the dragstrip, It's 4 miles from here. It's only $5 entrance so if anyone is there we'll go in. If it continues to clear up from here on there'll be lots of people there. If it is clear but still looks like rain only a few die hards will be there looking for a few time trials.

Saturday is the two cruises here in St. Thomas which I'll be at one or both if we feel the stock car track is likely to be rained out (it's 120 km to the dirt track we go to, South Buxton). Right now the forecast is clear for Saturday, but we may still forgo the track and stay home for the cruises.

Sunday is the big Clark and Dundas Canadian Tire cruise which we intend to go to.

I guess Monday is my day off unless I can find a Monday event in the area.
Old 07-23-2010, 06:46 PM   #9
Risquee
Camaro Lover

I am working 11:00 am to 11:00 pm both Saturday and Sunday this weekend. But hopefully I'll be out next weekend.
Old 07-24-2010, 12:31 PM   #10
Blacamaro

Well it drizzled up until about 9:30pm last night so no dragstrip of course.

Right now it's clear with scattered thunderstorms forecast so I think it's a hit and miss thing where we may or may not be hit through out the afternoon and evening.

We're going to forget the stock car track and hang around town and hope to make the cruise meets here in St. Thomas.

I'll likely be cruising around town and settle in at whichever cruise looks busy.

So incase anyone is interested the cruises are at the A&W downtown across from Tim Hortons and the Elgin Mall parking lot. Almost for sure the Elgin Mall cruise will be the biggest.
Old 07-25-2010, 01:55 AM   #11
Blacamaro

Well I made it to the St. Thomas A&W Saturday Cruise night.

Poor turnout, around 15 cars. I spoke at length with the girl that runs the cruise. She is the A&W owner/franchisee. She said last week they had over 40 cars. It rained only a couple hours before the cruise and looked like a thunderstorm was coming in right up to the start of the cruise. Then they have this situation where the lions club holds their cruise at the same time.

The Lions club has their cruise only 2 times a month and at two different locations alternating (Dan Patterson Conservation Area and the Elgin Mall). They have some problem getting members to run the thing hence the every other week thing. So my attitude is to support the A&W cruise because she is serious about having a cruise night every week.

Anyways next week if the weather is good the A&W cruise should be a lot better with no Lions club cruise splitting the attendance.

Tomorrow, Sunday, is the biggest cruise in the area at the Canadian Tire at Dundas and Clark in London. As far as I can find out it starts at 5:30. We'll be there early and likely eat at the A&W in front of the place and to be sure to get a good spot in-case the place fills up quick.

I've talked to a number of people at the cruises telling me that the Strathroy cruise on Wednesday is a pretty good one so I'm planning to attend at this point.
Old 07-25-2010, 11:49 PM   #12
Risquee
Camaro Lover

Just found out I am working Thursday and Friday 3-11 shift so that's out for me. But I am off all next weekend! I be there somewhere!
Old 07-28-2010, 12:31 AM   #13
Blacamaro

Sunday at the Dundas and Clark Canadian tire was incredible. I really don't know how many cars were there but likely 150 to 200. And there were hundreds of spectators. And lots of friends of mine, most of the local hard core cruisers I know were there. This is certainly the biggest we've been to so far.

I do have to say however, Tillsonburg is still our favorite with the wide open grass field, top notch organization, lots of cars and laid back attitude.

We missed Tillsonburg today because we had errands tonight in London.

Wednesday's weather forecast looks bad. If it does clear up, or at least there is a chance of making it to a cruise without rain, we are going to try Strathroy. I've had friends at the last three cruises all mention Strathroy as a good cruise meet.

The forecast for Thursday is looking good and we're all set to go to Country Cruising at Steve Plunkett's place.

BTW, at the Sunday Canadian Tire Cruise, we had the only 5th Gen there. There were lots of Mustangs and at least three Challengers. There was even a new ZR1 and a Ford GT there.

There was a Aquamarine 5th Gen that came cruising through as things were breaking up. I talked to the guy a while. He had a Corsa Cat back and some kind of a super charger deal with 600 and something HP. Sounded good.
Old 07-28-2010, 05:43 PM   #14
Risquee
Camaro Lover

What time is the one at CT on Sunday? I have a grandson's bday party to go to, but it's early afternoon.