Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 11-26-2012, 10:54 AM   #29
TooCool5

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LS 3.6 LLT V6 325 HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrinkdoc View Post
So these engines are proving not to be durable. Not good if GM expects repeat business.
Weird part is not all VVT LLT engines are eating timing chains. Some C5 members have 80k, 90k, 120,000 miles without any issue's.
Which leads one to believe it is a process variation issue.
I do know that I am not going by that monitor, to determine oil changes.
Old 11-26-2012, 11:16 AM   #30
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Drives: 12 Second Brick
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooCool5 View Post
Weird part is not all VVT LLT engines are eating timing chains. Some C5 members have 80k, 90k, 120,000 miles without any issue's.
Which leads one to believe it is a process variation issue.
I do know that I am not going by that monitor, to determine oil changes.
Think the oil change interval is probably a big variable... in fact at one point GM issued an recall or TSB to have to the Oil Life Monitor updated for more frequent oil changes... That being said, my GM source warned me to change my oil a lot more frequently than the OLM was indicating... So I was changing the oil in my Camaro every 3,000 to 5,000 miles depending number of track visits... and I ran full synthetic... vs folks like my wife, who would wait for the OLM to tell them it's time for an oil change and then opt for the $14.99 oil change special...
scrming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 01:30 PM   #31
Rocks RS

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS
Mine has 114,000 miles on it. I had an issue with my Camshaft Position Sensor causing a CEL. I took it in and they reprogrammed the engine and I have not had a problem since. They said that my timing chain was fine and they had seen this issue before.

Sporting MRT V1, Hurst short throw, and Injen long tube and loving it!!!

Also, over 125,000 miles and going.
Rocks RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 02:41 PM   #32
BaylorCamaro
Track > 1/4 Mile

Drives: 2016 C7 Z51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocks RS View Post
Mine has 114,000 miles on it. I had an issue with my Camshaft Position Sensor causing a CEL. I took it in and they reprogrammed the engine and I have not had a problem since. They said that my timing chain was fine and they had seen this issue before.
Well that's interesting.

Sent from my SAMSUNG Galaxy S III using telekinesis.
BaylorCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 03:02 PM   #33
Supermaro585HP
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS RS
If you want to hear a ticking noise I will let you listen to my 2011 SS auto engine. I took it to 2 dealers before I put any mods on and they both told me that it is fine and they all do it. It sounds like the motor has 100,000 miles on it. I can really hear it not that I put the new exhaust and headers on. I hate going to a car show and everyone asking me why it is ticking. Sorry I just had to get that out of my system...
Supermaro585HP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 03:44 PM   #34
GoldCartridgeGamer

Drives: 2014 Ford SVT Raptor SuperCrew
With the synthetic blend oil (was free first year of ownership from dealer) I was changing every 4000-5000 miles. With synthetic I planned on changing every 5000-7500 miles. Is that not a good idea? I will be checking my oil this coming weekend as well as a few other things (rx breather, IM, etc.) like I usually do.

How to hug your camaro
Buy the car that you would most like to get beat in. The other guy will always be faster.
GoldCartridgeGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 06:33 PM   #35
HopeRidesAlone

Drives: 2010 Camaro Black 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocks RS View Post
hmm this could be it ill have to see if it comes back after it got reset im waiting for it to come back before taking it to the dealer

2010 Black 2SS/RS - Stainless powers 1 7/8 LT headers, cold air inductions cai, Tuned by dynosteve, Feesler side skirt, Feesler Spoiler, Feesler carbon fiber bowties, H&R Lowering Springs.
HopeRidesAlone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 10:00 PM   #36
OOLIE

Drives: 2011 LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lgndryhr View Post
With the synthetic blend oil (was free first year of ownership from dealer) I was changing every 4000-5000 miles. With synthetic I planned on changing every 5000-7500 miles. Is that not a good idea? I will be checking my oil this coming weekend as well as a few other things (rx breather, IM, etc.) like I usually do.
Just keep checking oil. Like clock work mine starts t drop at 3k. I add a little because there is always a few drops left over from every change as I can't get complete drain on ramps. Then change shortly after.
Old 11-26-2012, 11:19 PM   #37
The Crusher
still a kid at heart

Drives: 2010 IOM 2LT RS with sunroof
This is great info..i had no idea about the chain...plus i have lots of mods and not sure if my dealer will help me..i cant reflash B/C my guy is in Austin....i have 38k and shes runnnning pretty darn good
Old 11-27-2012, 12:12 AM   #38
shrinkdoc

Drives: SRT Yugo GT Super Sport with Manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by OOLIE View Post
Just keep checking oil. Like clock work mine starts t drop at 3k. I add a little because there is always a few drops left over from every change as I can't get complete drain on ramps. Then change shortly after.
Still not dependable if low oil is causing this. Cars 40 or 50 years ago ran fine on low oil, sure it was a bit harder on the engine to be 1gt or so low but it never meant engine failure, just quicker wear. seems the 3.6 may mean actual engine failure if it gets low. Thats unacceptable.
I think its high time a GM rep came here and gave us the lowdown on EXACTLY what is going on. Anyone else agree?
shrinkdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 09:58 AM   #39
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrinkdoc View Post
Still not dependable if low oil is causing this. Cars 40 or 50 years ago ran fine on low oil, sure it was a bit harder on the engine to be 1gt or so low but it never meant engine failure, just quicker wear. seems the 3.6 may mean actual engine failure if it gets low. Thats unacceptable.
I think its high time a GM rep came here and gave us the lowdown on EXACTLY what is going on. Anyone else agree?
Yeah that would be nice, but it will never happen. As said before, this has been a consistent problem for the LY7 engines and now the LLT, and maybe the LFX (but seems like I keep hearing it may have finally been fully resolved for the 2012 and up years??...maybe??). GM is aware, and just quietly fixing the engines with the problems arise.

The LLT/LFX are awesome engines with incredible potential in my mind, but they are not without a flaw or two. If the timing chain issue is indeed fixed in the LFX, that just makes it that much better.
Old 11-27-2012, 10:00 AM   #40
TooCool5

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LS 3.6 LLT V6 325 HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lgndryhr View Post
They definitely changed the monitor for more frequent oil changes when they re-flashed mine.
At 4,500 miles I'm at 16% and that is when I change it. Before that at 4,500 I was at 45%. Same driving, some city some freeway.
Currently using Dexo's.
Old 11-27-2012, 12:11 PM   #41
GoldCartridgeGamer

Drives: 2014 Ford SVT Raptor SuperCrew
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooCool5 View Post
They definitely changed the monitor for more frequent oil changes when they re-flashed mine.
At 4,500 miles I'm at 16% and that is when I change it. Before that at 4,500 I was at 45%. Same driving, some city some freeway.
Currently using Dexo's.
Yea the algorithm in my 2011 is pretty accurate when it comes to synthetic blend or conventional oil. I would check the oil and compare the percentage to test a few times.

I am now using synthetic and comparing it as I go. Trying to see where the "breaking point" is.

How to hug your camaro
Buy the car that you would most like to get beat in. The other guy will always be faster.
GoldCartridgeGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:30 PM   #42
camaro2lt

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT VR/RS CGM Rally's
at least i know now the ticking is not a problem