Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Old 06-20-2014, 04:49 PM   #15
JDP Sales

Drives: Chevys at the limit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synner View Post
If anything I'd do SS fronts, v6 rears with slicks and skinnies and good pads. Do the ZL1's fit 17 fronts? The master cylinder won't be as unbalanced that way either and you get the lowest weight. My 2 cents at least.
I agree with this recommendation and feel it would be the best of both worlds for your mixed drag/AutoX usage.

You won't be doing anything to warrant the need for the CTS-V fronts and it's hard to say how the bias change will effect things. I don't know of anyone who has tried that setup.

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007
JDP Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 04:56 PM   #16
Synner

Drives: cars
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDP Tyler View Post
I agree with this recommendation and feel it would be the best of both worlds for your mixed drag/AutoX usage.

You won't be doing anything to warrant the need for the CTS-V fronts and it's hard to say how the bias change will effect things. I don't know of anyone who has tried that setup.

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 05:12 PM   #17
TBone
Negative Camber Junkie

Drives: 2010 1SS LS3/6MN ABM 1 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDP Tyler View Post

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007
Quote:
Name:  i-offer-you-a-monkey-with-some-sophistication-10102.gif
Views: 111
Size:  15.1 KB

T.
I can't wait for my next
Track fix.
DA HAWKS OWN DA CUP!!!!!
TBone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 05:20 PM   #18
HRD_WRK
HARD WORKING PATRIOT

Drives: 2011 CAMARO 2SS RS-AUTO
Thanks to you both.

Ok... I'll try to explain without muddying it up. I didn't want to write too much and have readers doze off and I dont need a critique on what I have-its how I want it-regardless of costs.
I understand your point, its like people posting a time slip and asking why they're slow. I can help them if they are willing to clue me in-alot is involved.

Unfortunately I dont necessarily know the ins and outs in the autox world-and therefore dont know all the questions to ask properly. My counters are to understand further, but may be off base due to lack of knowledge.
And of course, typing is way less productive that a good phone chat.

Your question of tires-it was stated in the first post. Mpss, then Hoosier A6 after more experience.
I dont disagree with anything you've said relating to the autox side-i stated I learned from your comments.

So,

My car is ...

My car was set up.....

I therefore am looking for pros and cons of package A over B as it relates to Autox only.

Hopefully you understand where I am coming from.

I never meant any disrespect.

Thank you

Last edited by HRD_WRK; 06-20-2014 at 08:40 PM.
HRD_WRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 05:24 PM   #19
HRD_WRK
HARD WORKING PATRIOT

Thanks Tyler. I was writing prior to your comments-just seen them.
I dont think id step down to V6 rear and only have the SS up front -my pig is still heavy. It just seemed like a good opportunity with the available ZL1 fronts. Was hoping to gain (lose time) a little on both race styles.
Was good to talk to you again at the fest.
Tim
Old 06-20-2014, 05:27 PM   #20
Synner

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRD_WRK View Post
My reasons for the rear V6 change is not part of this thread, nor is any detrimental effects of option A -I can eval them on my own and it keeps topic narrower.
I would not consider V6 on the back without ZL1 on the front.
Is it part of this thread when its part of the discussion about a dual use vehicle you want to perform well in both situations. Bottom line: I would not consider V6 on the back WITH ZL1 on the front regardless of the price due to the reasons I listed above. That last statement also artificially limits your options for no real reason that I can understand. SS front, V6 rear with HP+ pads would stop you incredibly well in autocross and drags, better than stock SS all around with more tire and less weight
Old 06-20-2014, 05:30 PM   #21
shibbs
Captain Gingerbeard

Drives: 2012 IOM RS/SS 6MT
I autocrossed my stock Camaro SS. 255/40/20 and 285/35/20 Michelin PSS tires.

My codriver and I took #1 and #2 in novice class, and we were up against some good competition. The brakes were definitely not at the top of what I wanted to upgrade. Even doing 3 runs back-to-back they did extremely well, not even a hint of fade. I'd have killed for some more front tire, though! haha

The SS brakes are very competent. If you're going to go for better pads, they would be even better.
shibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 05:55 PM   #22
HRD_WRK
HARD WORKING PATRIOT

Synner,
So if I understand you correctly from your reply:
SS front, V6 rear with HP+ pads would stop you incredibly well in autocross and drags, better than stock SS all around with more tire and less weight.

I understood the weight, but it is negligible for drag ET -fronts more / rears less, at my level and Index racing it's not relevant -car set up to run faster than dial in. I dont run heads up typically. Rotating mass difference is also a factor I understand , yet so is rim size and tire mass and overall distance of weight from center. Lot of variables there. Still, your point is valid and appreciated.

Your stating that SS front with great pads and rear V6 will be better than ZL1 front and V6 rear?
Why wouldnt GM skip the better calipers on the ZL1. And just put better pads on then ?

It appears the consensus is I'm better off keeping what I have in terms of autox only and go to V6 and stock front with great pads if I find my 17" Hoosier slicks no longer provide the grip needed after power up.

Thanks guys.
Old 06-20-2014, 06:16 PM   #23
JDP Sales

Drives: Chevys at the limit
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRD_WRK View Post
Thanks Tyler. I was writing prior to your comments-just seen them.
I dont think id step down to V6 rear and only have the SS up front -my pig is still heavy. It just seemed like a good opportunity with the available ZL1 fronts. Was hoping to gain (lose time) a little on both race styles.
Was good to talk to you again at the fest.
Tim
The thing is, the V6 brakes will still stop as well as the SS or ZL1 for that matter until they are overheated. Once repetitive stopping and a lot of heat come into play, that is when you'll see the benefit of the larger calipers, which you'll likely never need for AutoX.
Quote:
Is it part of this thread when its part of the discussion about a dual use vehicle you want to perform well in both situations. Bottom line: I would not consider V6 on the back WITH ZL1 on the front regardless of the price due to the reasons I listed above. That last statement also artificially limits your options for no real reason that I can understand. SS front, V6 rear with HP+ pads would stop you incredibly well in autocross and drags, better than stock SS all around with more tire and less weight
Once again, I absolutely agree. HP+ pads on all 4 corners with V6 rears and SS fronts will be the best choice for your application. They will be up to the task for AutoX and will do great for drag racing as well.

Quote:
It appears the consensus is I'm better off keeping what I have in terms of autox only and go to V6 and stock front with great pads if I find my 17" Hoosier slicks no longer provide the grip needed after power up.
Bingo

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007
JDP Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 06:20 PM   #24
Synner

I'm saying its more balanced. You seem like an old school drag guy so I would use this analogy. Would 360cc heads be sweet on a monster motor? Hell yes. Would you run them on a 327 SBC thats n/a and 9:1 compression? Hell no cause its insanely unbalanced. The same goes for brakes. You need a set of components designed to work together correctly.

I suggest HP+ pads because they don't need heat to have good initial bite and are more aggressive than stock. The combo would fail for road courses quickly but for autocross and drags it would be a great setup. I've melted most every possible brake combination possible in my pursuit of fast, I aint gonna steer you wrong.
Old 06-20-2014, 06:27 PM   #25
HRD_WRK
HARD WORKING PATRIOT

Thank you Tyler.

Jared- I reviewed some PMs between us during my other Autox schooling -thanks again.

Last edited by HRD_WRK; 06-22-2014 at 12:56 PM.
HRD_WRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 06:39 PM   #26
Synner

No worries, any time.