Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 09-23-2012, 10:02 PM   #15
TJR1952

Drives: 2013 2LT
There is no way someone can go down to a dealership , test drive a ZL1 and give you a true evaluation of the car.
TJR1952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 01:20 AM   #16
hognutz

Drives: 2013 ZL1
The battery is in the trunk on the grandsport because of the dry sump system.

The power on the zl1 is really linear and smooth. But you need to actually run it up past 5500 in each gear to feel what it has.

You really need to push the car in the corners to feel the zl1 strength it just drives nice and is composed everywhere.

Reading your post honesly I think you should get a z06 or a 2013 gt500. That will give you the feel you sound like your looking for. Just mash the pedal on the right and be blown away.

Or realize that you will need to invest 3-4k to get that level of acceleration out of a zl1.
2013 ZL1 -sold
2007 Z06- sold
2014 Chrysler 300
2011 Duramax 8" lift, deleted tuned
hognutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 09:13 AM   #17
firecross91

Drives: ZL1 #1691 Black on black.
Bounce it off the rev limiter a couple times and you will know what power is. That and pull up behind somebody doing 50 in a 55 zone, drop it into 4th kick the go pedal and try keeping it under 80. Not very easy to do.
Please always adhere to all post speed limits.
firecross91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 10:21 AM   #18
joes407

Drives: 2014 ZL1m6 red hot #569
gonna take more than a few mile test drive to appreciate the car. did you try race mode to feel the handling and steeering? probably not is my guess. thats when you really feel how much different it is than an SS. after it breaks in it does wake up more too
joes407 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 10:04 AM   #19
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
It sounds like you had a ton of fun doing those test drives! Please let us know if you made the decision to purchase one!

Brandon
Chevrolet Customer Service
Old 09-25-2012, 03:05 PM   #20
Fenderaddict2
Opinionated bugger!

Drives: Boss 302, Mazda 2, Praga & Intrepid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJR1952 View Post
There is no way someone can go down to a dealership , test drive a ZL1 and give you a true evaluation of the car.
True. But you can share impressions. I too felt initial unimpressed by the power. It doesn't jump in response to throttle input the way my car does and therefore fell short of expectation on that front. But a little more time spent with the car ( or evaluation of numbers) allow the cars true personality to shine. It's a good overall car as opposed to some competing products and it drives very smoothly and handles well, even more so when you factor in weight and visual limitations. I think this car would continue to grow on an owner as its simply a good piece of engineering.

Follow me on forums everywhere as Fenderaddict2 or my kid on the track and Twitter @fastmyles
Fenderaddict2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 03:28 PM   #21
Taser Deployed

Drives: 2012 Blk ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenderaddict2 View Post
True. But you can share impressions. I too felt initial unimpressed by the power. It doesn't jump in response to throttle input the way my car does and therefore fell short of expectation on that front. But a little more time spent with the car ( or evaluation of numbers) allow the cars true personality to shine. It's a good overall car as opposed to some competing products and it drives very smoothly and handles well, even more so when you factor in weight and visual limitations. I think this car would continue to grow on an owner as its simply a good piece of engineering.
I couldn't have said it better. I just don't understand how so many hate on the car. It's a great machine that isn't perfect but still great at what it's made for. I just don't believe in dogging a vehicle because I'm loyal to another brand. I would take a 5.0, Boss, and definitely a GT500 in a heartbeat. They are all great cars. I'm just glad that at the age of 28 I can enjoy what both Chevy and Ford has put out there for us.
Taser Deployed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 03:35 PM   #22
DHSS

Drives: Empty
Drove a GS M6 last night and car feels amazing. You definitely feel the road in the vette but acceleration and overall fun to drive is night and day to the ZL in my opinion. They are currently looking for me a CRT GS 3LT with nav.
DHSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 03:39 PM   #23
flyjbaker

Drives: none yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taser Deployed View Post
I'm just glad that at the age of 28 I can enjoy what both Chevy and Ford has put out there for us.
Amen brutha!!!!....except I'm old!!!
flyjbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 04:42 PM   #24
Speedforhire

Drives: 2013 GRAND SPORT (aka: EREBUS)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHSS View Post
Drove a GS M6 last night and car feels amazing. You definitely feel the road in the vette but acceleration and overall fun to drive is night and day to the ZL in my opinion. They are currently looking for me a CRT GS 3LT with nav.
Just traded my 2012 CRM GS Vert last month for the ZL1.........it's all a matter of perspectives!
Speedforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 08:03 PM   #25
Scarrzz
No Fear-No Limits- Camaro

Drives: '13 ZL1 or Suzuki Hayabusa
Quote:
Originally Posted by firecross91 View Post
Bounce it off the rev limiter a couple times and you will know what power is. That and pull up behind somebody doing 50 in a 55 zone, drop it into 4th kick the go pedal and try keeping it under 80. Not very easy to do.
Please always adhere to all post speed limits.

If anybody's looking.
Scarrzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 08:20 PM   #26
rmyers

Drives: Both American Made
I traded my 08 Z06 when I was surprised by the arrival of my ZL1 that was ordered by my wife in September. Regarding the batter in the rear, its not new on the Z06, but may be new on lower model vettes. Dead batteries are common problems at least in the C6's from what I hear. My went dead a few times in the car sat for a while.

With regards to your comparison, keep in mind the vette sits much closer to the ground, so the sense of speed can be deceiving. Chevy engineers used the Grand Sport as a measuring stick for the ZL1 and I think the performance numbers bear that out. I could be wrong but I don't recall the GS numbers being significantly different so that it would give the average driver since of the GS being significantly faster.

That said, coming from a stock Z06 to my ZL1, I also expected the ZL1 to feel faster, so I modded it... Either choice you make, I think in the end you will be happy. The only thing I think the late model vette's lack is in the technology area. The head units/navs needed to be updated years ago.

2012 ZL1 #213 M6 Black on Black
2013 ZL1 #2638 Convertible Auto
2010 Chevrolet Suburban
2011 GMC Seirra HD Denali
rmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 10:08 AM   #27
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHSS View Post
It's great to hear that you were able to test drive the GS M6! What is your favorite feature? We will be happy to assist you in helping find the Corvette!

Brandon
Chevrolet Customer Service
Old 09-26-2012, 10:14 AM   #28
flyjbaker

Drives: none yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedforhire View Post
Just traded my 2012 CRM GS Vert last month for the ZL1.........it's all a matter of perspectives!
Please do tell!!!! Pros and cons of each car and which do you like best and why?
flyjbaker is offline   Reply With Quote