Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 06-10-2010, 11:15 PM   #1
Merlinnnn

Drives: 2011 Mustang GT
Largest or best cam without headers?

Curious if anyone has done anything with a cam and no headers - I am tired of trying to quiet down the LS3 with the LT headers on it so I am thinking about pulling them off and putting the stock manifolds and cats back on and just going with a cam upgrade. I just personally hate the sound of my Camaro with headers. I have tried stock cat-back as well as Magnaflow street axle-back - still can't stand it.

With the stock exhaust and headers there is just too much rasp and it sounds like a truck with glass packs with you floor it. With the Magnaflow it tames down the rasp but adds drone and vibration so I am stumped. Ten years ago I probably would have liked it but I guess I am too old and picky now - it is so quiet and refined with the stock setup and it spoiled me. But I want more power!! Maybe I am asking for too much, I don't know. So I am just tired of fighting it and looking to see if anyone has any input on a good cam to run with the stock manifolds/cats or if it is even worth doing. Appreciate any insight.
Merlinnnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 11:19 PM   #2
DieselNuts
Spartan Performance

Drives: it like I stole it
Are you currently running cats with your long tubes?
DieselNuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 11:48 PM   #3
Merlinnnn

Drives: 2011 Mustang GT
Yeah, 1-7/8" Kooks LT headers and high flow cats. Just can't get past the raspiness and all that goes with headers on this engine and I am tired of spending money on exhaust to try and get what I am looking for. I don't remember my LS1 with LT headers sounding this raspy and loud - maybe it was, though. So I figured maybe a cam and the stock manifolds/exhaust would do the trick for me.
Merlinnnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 12:22 AM   #4
DieselNuts
Spartan Performance

Drives: it like I stole it
I think that you are right about the LS1 not being as raspy and loud. You have to remember, the LS1 cars weren't a true dual exhaust design so it is going to sound completely different.

If you are looking for stock sound, then the stock exhaust is going to be the way to go. I see no reason why you couldn't put any cam you want in the LS3, but you won't be getting near the full potential of the cam/engine performance wise. From the sounds of it, that's not what you are looking for anyway.
DieselNuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 12:29 AM   #5
Camaro21

Drives: SOLD - 2013 M6 ZL1
I got mine from Andy @ ADM Performance. It is a Stage II Comp Cam. Here is what Andy says: "224 230 under 600 lift...easy on the valvetrain, tune, emissions...etc..etc!"
Camaro21 is offline   Reply With Quote