Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Old 03-28-2012, 06:54 PM   #1
DVAS

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS
Tell Me I do NOT have To Tune

Hey there gang,

I havent been posting much, just reading around here and enjoying. That said, can someone please respond and tell me if there are long tube headers, and a configuration of high flo cats etc. etc. that I can install that will NOT require a tune???

I do not want to ruin my warranty just yet, so depending on the responses, I may have to get Shorties and a cat back. IF I CHOOSE Shorties, and cat back, is there a high flo cat - mid pipe that I can use WITHOUT tuning? I have been searchuing high and low, but cant seem to convince myself there is nothing out there.

Thanks in advance folks.
DVAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 06:59 PM   #2
ffrcobra_65
Account Suspended

Drives: SuperCharged 2SS/RS IOM MN6
You need to tune with LTs and hi flow cats. You can elect not to but your car will run like crap and you'll have to clear ECLs all the time. If you are worried about warranty, just get a cat back. No argument from the dealer there. Even with shorties, your dealer may give you a hard time.
ffrcobra_65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 07:00 PM   #3
Stealthpanda
Thread Ender

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by DVAS View Post
Hey there gang,

I havent been posting much, just reading around here and enjoying. That said, can someone please respond and tell me if there are long tube headers, and a configuration of high flo cats etc. etc. that I can install that will NOT require a tune???

I do not want to ruin my warranty just yet, so depending on the responses, I may have to get Shorties and a cat back. IF I CHOOSE Shorties, and cat back, is there a high flo cat - mid pipe that I can use WITHOUT tuning? I have been searchuing high and low, but cant seem to convince myself there is nothing out there.

Thanks in advance folks.
IIRC (and I normally dont) LTHs require a tune to unlock all of there potential? that sounds right, and I think that refers to shorties as well. Someone can clarify. Nothing like upgrading something for partial power gains.
Stealthpanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 07:05 PM   #4
DVAS

Thanks a ton, I actually realized " I shouldnt have posted in this selction" so I just posted the exact same question in bolt ons....

I just ordered a cold air today, and planning exhaust upgrade and some suspension parts real soon. I have solid plans to keep the car an add an Eforce SC if I can control myself and not go trade in on a ZL1.

Thanks again!
Old 03-28-2012, 07:18 PM   #5
menendez1293
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS M6
Well I was told by my delear's service manager that as soon as you mess around with the cats your power train warranty is gone.
menendez1293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 07:20 PM   #6
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
You need to tune with long tube headers. You need to pay to play, that's just how it is
Old 03-28-2012, 07:22 PM   #7
2010 SSRS

Drives: 3 V8 Camaros
get the LT's and Tune, my headers and Tune were done with less than 100 miles, warranty, what warranty, lol
Old 03-28-2012, 07:27 PM   #8
The Stig

Quote:
Originally Posted by menendez1293 View Post
Well I was told by my delear's service manager that as soon as you mess around with the cats your power train warranty is gone.
No. Only way to void your entire powertrain warranty is with a tune. Switching out the cats for aftermarket high flow cats only voids the warranty on the cats.
Old 03-28-2012, 08:04 PM   #9
Slowhawk

Drives: 1999 Trans Am
You guy's should tell that to my customer that just had a motor replaced under warrenty. Car had longtubes, cold air, gears and fully tuned. Lifter let go and destroyed the motor. Dealer had no problem at all with the tune and just threw in a new motor and bolted his stuff back in.

I'm getting tired of hearing a tune voids warrenty.
Slowhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 08:18 PM   #10
DVAS

thanks everyone for you input and advice. I plan to pick up parts one at a time, and then..........
Old 03-29-2012, 09:00 PM   #11
Tampa Tuning
Account Suspended

Drives: TAMPA TUNING FACEBOOK & INSTAGRAM
you dont have to tune. Just have those codes turned off.
Tampa Tuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 09:15 PM   #12
The Stig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowhawk View Post
You guy's should tell that to my customer that just had a motor replaced under warranty. Car had longtubes, cold air, gears and fully tuned. Lifter let go and destroyed the motor. Dealer had no problem at all with the tune and just threw in a new motor and bolted his stuff back in.

I'm getting tired of hearing a tune voids warranty.
That's awesome for your customer. But not all dealer's are that willing to overlook headers and the tune. I tell people that tuning voids your warranty because it does. According to Chevrolet: if you tune your car, your powertrain warranty is void. Depending on what the warranty claim is for the dealer is required to scan the ECM and send the data to Chevrolet for approval. If Chevrolet doesn't approve the warranty claim then the dealer won't get paid for the work.

Again that's awesome for your customer, his service manager must be a pretty nice guy to give him a new motor. He got a motor because the service manager is a nice guy. I bet if he took his car to a smaller Chevrolet dealership they would have told him he's SOL.

I'm sorry you're tired of hearing it, but yes I am going to continue telling people that a tune voids their powertrain warranty. Because it's true.
Old 03-29-2012, 10:33 PM   #13
Fast Motorsports

Drives: Camaro
Technically a tune will void the powertrain warranty. Now it is up to the dealer to enforce that. As we all know there are dealers out there that could care less. Some that ask you put as much back to stock for a major claim and those that will bounce you for everything. However, there are times were the dealers hands are tied when GM asked for a snap shot of the computers as sees either checksum differences, CVN differences or flash counters incremented with no documentation.
Fast Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 11:07 PM   #14
mgoodbar
White 2ss, LT, CAI, Tune

Drives: 2010 L99
Correct, it just depends on the dealer. Hey, they get paid to replace a motor, this gives one of their guys something to charge time to. so if they are slow and need to get their guys paid, a blown motor is a win win for them..
mgoodbar is offline   Reply With Quote