Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 06-01-2016, 06:09 PM   #225
Bongos2U

Drives: Hopefully 6th gen Camaro
OK you guys. This will be the first and only time I will bring this up on this thread...The sub-humans on the other forum are wetting themselves regarding this. And of course, some have resorted to name calling.
Bongos2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 06:17 PM   #226
Richard0nee

Drives: 2016 SS M6, NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bongos2U View Post
OK you guys. This will be the first and only time I will bring this up on this thread...The sub-humans on the other forum are wetting themselves regarding this. And of course, some have resorted to name calling.
Seriously, I can give a ratsass about the sales.

My SS is bitching, it's fast, it's powerful, and most cars will *ahem* will have to be MODDED to have similar performance.

80% of the people complaining on here, making a deal out of this more than likely doesn't own a 6th Gen or are likely considering one.

Actually, I like it! The more less 6th Gen's around the better for me!!

Screw the sales number, doesn't mean nothing when you have a BADASS vehicle!
Richard0nee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 06:30 PM   #227
Blueclyde

Drives: 2023 ZLE
The sales numbers do matter and are telling. I've owned four 5th gens and would have taken the 6th gen that I ordered if the price and incentives were better. It is no doubt a great car. The problem is that it is at the wrong end of the value equation for what I would refer to as the practical buyer. I believe that is reflected in the numbers. I can't believe, even for a millisecond, that these numbers satisfy GM's plan for the 6th gen.
Blueclyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 06:34 PM   #228
Enator

Drives: 2011 SHELBY GT500 & Volvo S80
May 2016 Delivery (sales) Stats:

Camaro May 2016 Deliveries (actual sales): 5,827 -40% (Pr Ye)

Compared to Competition:

Mustang May 2016 Delivery (sales):10,327 24% (Pr Ye)
Challenger May 2016 Delivery (sales):6,677 10% (Pr Ye)
Attached Images

Enator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 06:39 PM   #229
raptor5244

Drives: 2022 CT4-V Blackwing
As far as comparing to the Mustangs...

Even though the Mustang GT is a little less expensive, an enthusiast can spot the differences. For example, the Mustang GT has that horrible MT82 manual tranny that they ditch right away for a Tremec once you get into the Shelbys. The Camaro SS comes with a Tremec 6060 with rev matching. If you go the route of the auto the GT includes a decent 6 speed auto but the Camaro outdoes it with its super quick shifting and more fuel efficient 8 speed auto from the Corvette. The new Camaro has MRC as an option, which is awesome tech. Furthermore, the Camaro SS sounds a lot better than a Mustang when you add the NPP option. On top of all that the Camaro SS is lighter and performs better in all tests. Much broader and more street usable torque curve, direct injection tech, trans coolers, diff coolers, etc. The Camaro SS includes 20 inch wheels instead of 18s and comes with $400 Goodyear performance run flats. So, why would it cost the same or less than a Mustang? There is just a lot more car here...

If you compare a Camaro SS to a Challenger you have to look at a Scat Pak, which gets to around 40k right away and the cooler shaker hood starts at like 43k. Then are are talking about 500-600 lbs weight difference, which changes the whole dynamic of the car.
raptor5244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 06:41 PM   #230
aestil

Drives: White
Oh, btw, I dont' know the whole story on the Challenger vs Camaro sales, but I will say anecdotally, that over memorial day weekend I went to test drive a Camaro [loved it, crazy good feeling] but the rear seat was even less of a rear seat than I had imagined.

So, just to be an informed buyer we headed a block down to the Dodge dealership where I got my wife to sit behind me in the Challenger as a 'test' for how much more practical the Challenger is.

First off, it's just as miserable to get in the back of as the Camaro is, so ingress/egress from the vehicle is not easier. Leg room is not significantly better in the Challenger if it is at all, but there is A LOT more headroom in the Challenger.

Anyways, we talked about it and the random off chance where putting somone in the back seat is desirable is not worth purchasing a car I'm not 'into'.

So I was thanking the salesperson for their time and letting them know I wasn't in the market to purchase today, but appreciate their help. And they tried to HARD sell me the car. Nothing offensive, but just really looked for a way to make it happen, going so far as to offer 'what if we could take care of the first 3 months of payments for you'.

Now, I don't know what sort of shenanigans were really involved in that offer, or if they were really offering to pay 3 months of payments to get me into the car, but I will say that at the Chevy dealership they didn't seem at all motivated to sell anything and were basically just 'take it or leave it' sort of attitude. Friendly, but not at all doing anything to incentive me to buy the car.

If my experience was typical then perhaps Dodge just moved more vehicles because they tried harder?
aestil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 06:56 PM   #231
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Ok the really bad news is the Challenger outsold the Camaro. That better be reverberating through the Tech Center and Ren Cen.

That is pretty sad. And the Challeger doesn't have a 4 cylinder and the Challenger doesn't have a convertible.

Yikes!

And for everyone claiming they are glad they have a rare car? Good for you. 2002 Camaros are pretty rare also.

GM needs to make a return on their investment. A big enough return that makes investing in this car and the HP versions of this car look better than another SUV. And SUVs are selling.
Old 06-01-2016, 06:59 PM   #232
Richard0nee

Drives: 2016 SS M6, NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueclyde View Post
The sales numbers do matter and are telling. I've owned four 5th gens and would have taken the 6th gen that I ordered if the price and incentives were better. It is no doubt a great car. The problem is that it is at the wrong end of the value equation for what I would refer to as the practical buyer. I believe that is reflected in the numbers. I can't believe, even for a millisecond, that these numbers satisfy GM's plan for the 6th gen.
I suggest you get the cheaper Mustang if you're a practical buyer! This car isn't cheap, GM put a lot of work into it and the price is justifiable.

If you're a really practical buyer, why are you looking at a high performance car? You want to purchase a high performance vehicle but want GM to consider the practical buyers? It doens't make sense.

That's why there are V6's and inline 4 turbos.

I'm actually loving how the SS aren't really selling.. they SHOULDN'T because it's not catered to the practical buyer, to those who aren't willing to pay $ money for the extra performance and gadgets.

Once a car gets to the 40k range, it won't sell as much volume period.

Thus, this thread should be really why the V6/i4 aren't selling..
Richard0nee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 07:00 PM   #233
Posaune

Drives: Four wheels and an engine
Quote:
Originally Posted by aestil View Post
Honestly as long as Caddy is trying to compete with the Mercedes and BMW sporty coupes and sedans there will be a platform to build the Camaro on.
At what price point?
Posaune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 07:03 PM   #234
ssrs2lt

Drives: too many
3d with authority this month
Old 06-01-2016, 07:04 PM   #235
raptor5244

Drives: 2022 CT4-V Blackwing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
Ok the really bad news is the Challenger outsold the Camaro. That better be reverberating through the Tech Center and Ren Cen.

That is pretty sad. And the Challeger doesn't have a 4 cylinder and the Challenger doesn't have a convertible.

Yikes!

And for everyone claiming they are glad they have a rare car? Good for you. 2002 Camaros are pretty rare also.

GM needs to make a return on their investment. A big enough return that makes investing in this car and the HP versions of this car look better than another SUV. And SUVs are selling.
and don't forget they have Gas Monkey Richard Rawlings doing Dodge Challenger and Charger TV commercials every night. Where are the Camaro ads...
raptor5244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 07:06 PM   #236

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor5244 View Post
and don't forget they have Gas Monkey Richard Rawlings doing Dodge Challenger and Charger TV commercials every night. Where are the Camaro ads...
A very nice, new (Camaro only) ad has been airing on TV during Dodger games....It show the Camaro on a track (an SS), lists magazine performance reviews, car of the year, etc....Seemed like it was definitely promoting the performance angle...
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 07:06 PM   #237
Posaune

Drives: Four wheels and an engine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard0nee View Post
I suggest you get the cheaper Mustang if you're a practical buyer! This car isn't cheap, GM put a lot of work into it and the price is justifiable.

If you're a really practical buyer, why are you looking at a high performance car? You want to purchase a high performance vehicle but want GM to consider the practical buyers? It doens't make sense.

That's why there are V6's and inline 4 turbos.

I'm actually loving how the SS aren't really selling.. they SHOULDN'T because it's not catered to the practical buyer, to those who aren't willing to pay $ money for the extra performance and gadgets.

Once a car gets to the 40k range, it won't sell as much volume period.

Thus, this thread should be really why the V6/i4 aren't selling..
A Camaro that doesn't appeal to practical buyers is at risk of cancellation.
Posaune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 07:10 PM   #238
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor5244 View Post
Something has to change at this point. We shall see what happens.

Having an all new NG car outsold by the Challenger is quite frankly an embarrassment for a few people at GM.

At this point someone is answering questions I expect no one thought a year plus ago were ever going to be asked.