Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 11-27-2010, 07:07 AM   #1
Golfitz

Drives: '11 IBM 2LT RS w/Silver Stripes
But how does it DRIVE?

I see all these posts about everything from vandalism to parking to mods to auto vs standard, V6 vs V8....but how does the car drive? how does it handle? accelerate? corner? overall performance?

I'm coming home from deployment in 3 weeks to a brand new 2011 2LT RS, and i've never seen or touched one.....

Old 11-27-2010, 07:19 AM   #2
CamaroWave

Drives: 2011 Imperial Blue Chevy Camaro LS
Hey,

When i first test drove this car (after wrecking my toyota camry) the car felt uneasy as I was spoiled by the blind spots of my previous car. (none basically)

BUT!!!!

Once I got know the strengths and weaknesses of my v6, it surely has become a fun ride. My recommendation is to take it slow first and get comfortable both in and out of neighborhoods to the highway.

check out some of the mustang vs camaro videos on youtube and they will give some insight on how they ride.

if youre looking for something agile then the mustang is where its at. But i like the heaviness of my camaro! lol

I like all the ponys tho, mustang camaro and challengers! american muscle baby!

Peace
CamaroWave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 07:25 AM   #3
ponbigi

Drives: 2011 CAMARO LS
Thank-you for your service. Car is a lot of fun. Most power is in 3rd gear for me. Acceleration OS awesome. It's been known to toss me back in my seat.
ponbigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 07:36 AM   #4
Redskinfan72

Drives: Victory Red 2LT/RS
I have the 2LT RS 2010. You are going to LOVE your new ride. Thank you for your service to this great country of ours. I have JBA headers and a Magnaflow exhaust system...add a CAI and you will definitely feel the HP boost in the V6. The Car DRIVES great. Good acceleration. Handles well and is very smooth on the bumpy roads. Great highway car, you will love the Leather and the heated seats. I agree with the previous posts , watch backing the car up and lane changing. once you have mastered that , you will have a great time in your new car! Enjoy!
Redskinfan72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 07:42 AM   #5
INTIMIDAT3R
Account Suspended

Drives: '11 2SS/RS L99, '12 2LS LFX
Mine drives smooth and fast!!!

Blind spot from the C pillar takes some getting used to, but I wouldn't trade my baby for the world.

Unless of course the world came knocking on my door with a Lamborghini Gallardo.
INTIMIDAT3R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 07:45 AM   #6
CamaroFreako
KMK

Drives: Slow V6 Camaro
Well, its nothing in performance if you getting the V6, 312 HP is nothing special out of sport V6 car.

but its fun to drive, comfortable to sit in, and good to look at
CamaroFreako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 08:03 AM   #7
Jayson9

Drives: 2SS
2011 SS auto in a nutshell:
Ride - stiff. Will feel every nook and cranny in the road,
Acceleration - pretty good. For a little more, a tune and CAI would really bring it aluive.
Handle - Very tight and responsive.
Driveability - Somewhat hard to judge front and back distances because of poor driver visability. Be sure to get 2011 model with rear backup sensors.
Issues - none so far w/2000 mi on clock. But others state they have had some.
Overall- fun to drive, with a greater than average learning curve, and be prepared for stiff ride in states that have poor roads. Would recommend also looking at a SRT8 as well if road ride is a factor.

Jayson9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 08:14 AM   #8
Nutbutt

Drives: 2011 RJT 2LT/RS Convertible
Thanks for your service !
The ride is typical muscle car, but not overly stiff. The acceleration is better than my 69 V8 vert before I added the mods. It is a straight line runner that can be made better with a lowering kit. Which bring up the aftermarket stuff. This car is super easy to work on and the number of upgrades are fantastic.
The blind spot everyone talks about is really not that bad. Adjust the mirrors correctly and the blid spot is gone !
Old 11-27-2010, 08:24 AM   #9
montreal2010yellow

Drives: 2 LT/RS YELLOW, AUTO., VIN NO. 602
This car is great. Just take the time to get ajusted to it's size and blind spots. Compare a Gen5 with any late mustangs and you'll see the difference in size. Quite bigger.

As for the rest you'll have to make you mind by your own, that's what I did and I enjoy the car all the way around. 2LT-RS is not a race car but let me tell you that even without any mechanical changes, you'll find it quite fast. And if you want more, there is a great choice of after market stuff to blow you HP as you wish, or almost.

You'll have to get use to the attention the Gen5 makes on the road and in parking lots....A lot of thumbs-up,,,,,By the way, always park the car far from others, there are many jealous drivers that likes to park very close to you and making it risky for door-dings. Never park in a crowded area.....

Good luck. I really love mine. I miss it because it's winterised until march.

Get a picture in when avail.
montreal2010yellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 08:36 AM   #10
GATORJAK

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
You are going to love it!! The "blind spots" are not an issue once you put some time in the drivers seat. I think the car handles great! Corners like it's on rails. And I think it is top notch in the comfort department too. I love mine!!

Thanks for your service, and be safe!
Old 11-27-2010, 08:52 AM   #11
stormricker

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS RS
Welcome back (early)! I also have a 2LT/RS.

Plenty quick and averages 25MPG over my first 1400 miles. Visibility is not that bad (better than my Eclipse used to be). Rides smoothly and tight - without being overly stiff. Just feels like a well built machine.

Simply put - it is a blast to drive.............not to mention the looks and comments that will be coming your way. :flag2:
Old 11-27-2010, 08:54 AM   #12
TooCool5

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LS 3.6 LLT V6 325 HP
Awesome ride and handling with the 50/50 weight dist. of the V6.
Old 11-27-2010, 08:55 AM   #13
heRS
Raised by Wolves

Drives: IBM 2010 2LT RS M6
Hey Fitz only 3 weeks to go, that's great! I love the way my Camaro drives, and for the driving I do it serves me well. When we went to the coast over Labor Day weekend we came back North Cascades Hwy which has lots of curves and the Camaro handled everything I asked of it. We also found some really twisted secondary roads along the way and lets just say I wasn't holding up traffic in any way .
You can adjust the mirrors right so those blind spots aren't a problem.
The big issue we all come up against is other people rubbernecking the Camaro so bad they might run into you. Car goes where the eye goes sorta thing!
3 weeks, we want to see pictures of you and your new Camaro! Very happy you're gonna be back soon and one more thing - I love your color choice!

heRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 07:22 PM   #14
CamaroWave

Drives: 2011 Imperial Blue Chevy Camaro LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroFreako View Post
Well, its nothing in performance if you getting the V6, 312 HP is nothing special out of sport V6 car.

but its fun to drive, comfortable to sit in, and good to look at

hey i know its a v6 but damn can she ride!!! im not much of a performance buff (yet) but IMO shes super quick
CamaroWave is offline   Reply With Quote