Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 12-09-2014, 08:13 AM   #43
SpeedIsLife

Drives: Current Camaro-less
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotlapZL1 View Post
The heat issues is surprising given the level of experience GM already had with FI, testing that was done to validate the LT4 and the intention of the Z06 as a track weapon. The minute a smaller displacement, higher revving blower was proposed, the technical issues with cooling were known.

Something doesn't add up. GM surely knew exactly how this car would perform when it hit the track. If it can't be cooled, is a bigger blower and power-bulge hood in the future? I'm waiting to see more of this story unfold
GM knew all of this. They also knew that the majority of people who buy this car have:

Lots of disposable income to spend a minimum of $80,000.

No real intentions of tracking this car

Only wanted bragging rights as to power levels and performance figures (sub 3 second 0-60's, quarter mile times, skidpad #'s blah blah)

Would buy any high HP Corvette they could get.

And on all accounts they were 100% correct.

They knew about the oil temp issues, heat-soak issues, cooling issues and lack of sustained track capability. Anyone who tells you otherwise isn't being honest. You do not test a car on the 'ring and other tracks and mysteriously "not figure that out".

Someone shouldn't have to spend MORE in the aftermarket to make a $80,000 "track weapon" capable of actually being a "track weapon".
SpeedIsLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 08:37 AM   #44
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedIsLife View Post
GM knew all of this. They also knew that the majority of people who buy this car have:

Lots of disposable income to spend a minimum of $80,000.

No real intentions of tracking this car

Only wanted bragging rights as to power levels and performance figures (sub 3 second 0-60's, quarter mile times, skidpad #'s blah blah)

Would buy any high HP Corvette they could get.

And on all accounts they were 100% correct.

They knew about the oil temp issues, heat-soak issues, cooling issues and lack of sustained track capability. Anyone who tells you otherwise isn't being honest. You do not test a car on the 'ring and other tracks and mysteriously "not figure that out".

Someone shouldn't have to spend MORE in the aftermarket to make a $80,000 "track weapon" capable of actually being a "track weapon".
Only problem with your theory that Chevy built a poser is that it doesn't match recent past performance. The C5 Z06/ZR1, Z/28, ZL1 and 1LE deliver true performance.

I'm waiting for this story to unfold completely. Fad boys, feel free to peel the bowties off your toolboxes.

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 08:50 AM   #45
SpeedIsLife

The owner of the C7Z posted on the Corvette forums about it..

Quote:

I have to say, Im not disappointed with the car. It is still a bad *** car for what it is.

As far as every one blaming my shifting abilities, all the fan boys better hope that they're right, who knows I just might suck at it. and every one else can drive way better than me. But keep in mind I also own a GenV Viper and shifting is just perfect in it.

As you can see in my other thread, before we even decided to race the two cars, I did complain about the shifter in the Z. I dont know if changing the shifter will help the Z, but ONE THING IS CLEAR. IT WILL NOT BEAT THE VIPER. Viper pulled away in 4th gear every single time and there was no catching it in 5th.

When I first drove the Z from the lot and started getting on it, it was very hard to tell which one was faster. Speedwise, they both felt extremely even to me. But the feeling of the drive is completely different.

As far as the race goes, I dont think I could have asked for a better person to race against. Tony is highly skilled and I didnt see anything wrong with races. There was nothing unfair about it. Z06 straight up lost. Even before the race, I already knew how it takes longer for the Z to reach higher speeds. In mexico, i had a hard time getting to 180 on a long stretch. Viper got there a little bit faster.

The last few runs, car had significantly lost power due to heat soaking and you can see viper pull away faster and faster. Anything above 120mph is a weakzone for the Z when compared to the Gen V.

Weight wise, I dont think there is much difference between me and Tony (Nineball), we both had full tank of gas. Z06 is 150lbs heavier than my GTS and i think TA is 100lbs lighter than that. So about 250lbs difference?

But regardless, the outcome is what it is.

I noticed a lot of people mention that they will go with a Viper instead of a Z06 because of this and heat soaking issue. If this is clearly your deciding to point on which car to buy, your priorities are totally messed up. The difference in the race is not that significant, irrelevant to what both of these machines can do.
Pretty disappointed by the majority of the fan boys coming up with different reasons as to why the race wasnt fair.

Bottom line is, I love the Z06 for what it is and I love the Viper for what it is. Both different cars with different feel.

I have told everyone this. If i have to pick one to drive for an hour or two, it will be the Viper. Anything else, i'll take the Z06.

There is no peace in driving the Viper, which I love too.
With Z06 you get best of the both world but its not as raw as the Viper.

My opinion would have been the exact same if the race had gone the other way.
Old 12-09-2014, 10:54 AM   #46
BaylorCamaro
Track > 1/4 Mile

Drives: 2016 C7 Z51
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedIsLife View Post
The owner of the C7Z posted on the Corvette forums about it..
What forum/thread is this on?
BaylorCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 11:05 AM   #47
SpeedIsLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaylorCamaro View Post
What forum/thread is this on?

http://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/...e-genv-ta.html
Old 12-09-2014, 11:40 AM   #48
trademaster

Drives: 12 MP4-12C, 16 Quattroporte
I couldn't care less about seeing a z06 losing to the Viper. I'm not surprised it is faster in a straight line.

What does worry me is this heat soak and oil cooling issue. I am on my third LS7. One was a freak accident, but the other was a common problem. One of my buddies is on his second. Now, for the performance of the car the Z06 is cheap, cheap, cheap and you can't expect the thing to be indestructible. However, with all the money I have put into repairs I sometimes wonder if I wouldn't have been better off going for something more expensive. Of course, there are no guarantees that anything else will stay together either.

I think they went the wrong direction by adding a blower. Overheating is never a good thing, but on a forced induction engine it can easily be catastrophic. There are some very well executed forced induction engines, but unfortunately the LT4 doesn't seem to be one of them yet. GM lost me for the z06 as soon as I heard about this issue. I honestly think GM should have gone with less displacement and a pair of small turbos on this engine.
trademaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 11:57 AM   #49
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
They already said turbos don't fit in the engine compartment.
Old 12-09-2014, 12:37 PM   #50
trademaster

Drives: 12 MP4-12C, 16 Quattroporte
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
They already said turbos don't fit in the engine compartment.
With a lower displacement, smaller architecture they probably could. Of course it would have to be based on something other than the LT1. The LT4 just seems like too much of a compromise and not z06-esque to me. If you're going to change it up, really change it up.
trademaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 12:41 PM   #51
Jims Mongoose
Jim

Drives: 2013 Black 2SS 1LE
I know I will be blasted but

I know you guys will blast me for this, but!

I don't believe the test as is. Something is wrong with that particular Z

Or the ECU has a break in period messing it up.

Don't believe GM would have let their most significant vehicle in a long time go out with those design flaws.

Not saying that it wouldn't be close but not a trouncing like that. No way.

Wait and see, some other test will be done or something will come out about this.

Jim
Old 12-09-2014, 12:50 PM   #52
ilirg

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2ss
I think we should wait and see some more z's in action before writing it off. Its one freaking race for Pete's sake
ilirg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 12:59 PM   #53
rocket403

Drives: 80 Cutlass 403, 2010 FF RT
As well as the one that overheated on Road Atlanta on lap 4
rocket403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 01:14 PM   #54
ilirg

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2ss
After being run consecutively by several different mags. The one that set the 1:29 didn't have any over heating issues.
ilirg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 01:17 PM   #55
SpeedIsLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilirg View Post
After being run consecutively by several different mags. The one that set the 1:29 didn't have any over heating issues.
Really...please reevaluate your logic on this conclusion.
Old 12-09-2014, 01:22 PM   #56
Rat

Drives: ZL1/TBSS/COPO
Well that sucks...

Guess we will see how real life track results turnout!
.....2012/14 COPO #33....427, 1.31 60' ....9.39@143......
Rat is offline   Reply With Quote