Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 06-27-2012, 04:00 PM   #127
c4maroboy
[HOONIGAN]

Drives: 2012 ZL1 #1848[The HOONIGAN MOBILE]
ZL1 > GT500
Old 06-27-2012, 04:03 PM   #128
DanSS24

Drives: Dream Cars in my head
COPO > Cobra Jet
ZL1 > GT500
1LE > Boss LS
Z28 > all of the above

Wishful thinking...but I sure can dream big.
DanSS24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 04:03 PM   #129
A-little-perspective

Drives: 2011 C63
Quote:
Originally Posted by c4maroboy View Post
ZL1 > GT500
Correct. The ZL1>GT500 in weight.
A-little-perspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 04:07 PM   #130
69NMYSS

Drives: '69 Camaro SS and '12 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Cosby View Post
I do. I would put no options on EITHER car (much like I have a no-option Vette). As such, for me and my biases, the GT500 is the better performance deal (comparing only these two base cars).

And it doesn't bother me if you disagree, or have a different opinion.
Well the ZL1 has no perfomance options as they are all standard, without any of the performance options (TP and PP) on the GT500, you may as well not even go to the track and just bow down to the bowtie.
Old 06-27-2012, 04:09 PM   #131
FINALLYSATISFIED
Est.1775

Drives: '15 Challenger Hellcat (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberB5.Slow View Post
I'd still prefer a straight line car than a corner carver anyday. I'd rather have the advantage where I can use it anywhere on any road where 99% of driving will take place, rather than making excuses, "Well if we were at the Autocross..." . GT500 in my book, it's faster and more powerful.

If I wanted a corner carver I'd build a kickass 240 for half the money and smoke both cars on the track.

But each to their own! If it wasn't for this rivalry these cars wouldn't exsist today.
You must be alittle worried seeing as how your on a Camaro forum and yet you own a Mustang adding your 2 cents about how the Shelby is "faster and more powerful". Its faster sure but its clear the Mustang has a problem repeating its success meanwhile the Camaro flies right by. I rather have a car I can count on and dependable. the bowtie.
FINALLYSATISFIED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 04:11 PM   #132
Bob Cosby

Drives: 2010 Vette
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69NMYSS View Post
Well the ZL1 has no perfomance options as they are all standard, without any of the performance options (TP and PP) on the GT500, you may as well not even go to the track and just bow down to the bowtie.
Holy cow you're right! I've seen the light! Thank you!!!!

Bob Cosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 04:11 PM   #133
oortcloud

Drives: 2013 ZL1 ordered
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Cosby View Post
I do. I would put no options on EITHER car (much like I have a no-option Vette). As such, for me and my biases, the GT500 is the better performance deal (comparing only these two base cars).

And it doesn't bother me if you disagree, or have a different opinion.
Hard to disagree, although I will try One of the main reasons I ordered the zl1 is to take it to the track occasionally. I'm not looking for a race car. But I am looking to have fun and push the car hard occasionally.

I really can't justify spending 5k+ more for a car that will perform slower in the corners and perform less consistent overall. I'd rather take that money and get a set of track rims, tires, brakepads, etc... So bang for the buck is an easy decision for me.
oortcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 04:12 PM   #134
Bob Cosby

Drives: 2010 Vette
No worries...your definition of 'bang for the buck' simply differs from mine. I'm good with that.
Bob Cosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 04:20 PM   #135
IcePick06

Drives: '12 AGM ZL1 (SOLD); '07 Ducati 1098
This is exactly what I expected and exactly the reason I bought the ZL1 instead of waiting for the GT500. This is my daily driver so I appreciate all the extra stability and electronic gizmos to make me feel more confident in everyday situations and when I do decide to take it to the track.

The braking issue on the GT500 is not good news...swapping pads on the ZL1 would yield even better braking results according to ERIK@TORQ, so it's nice to hear from a pro like Randy Pobst that for a stock car, the braking on the ZL1 really is that good!

I do plan on doing a CAI and tune or even a pulley upgrade down the road so even at the drag strip the ZL1 should be able to compete with just about anything

Still, as a car guy I totally respect and admire the GT500 cuz it's a bad a$$ car! I look forward to the next SUPERCHARGED FORD v.s. CHEVY smackdown in a few more years!
IcePick06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 04:22 PM   #136
Fenderaddict2
Opinionated bugger!

Drives: Boss 302, Mazda 2, Praga & Intrepid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rez333 View Post
Yeah but I think the Motortrend's test really put things in perspective. The brake fade of the GT500 is very disappointing and it shows that the ZL1 really is a complete and balanced package whereas the GT500 does have its flaws.
It is coming down from a much higher speed, and the suspension is no aid at all as it is on the ZL1, neither is tire size. I would also assume in order to hit the 200 MPH mark, break ducting was not an option as it would spoil the front end, adding lift. Clear win for the newer ZL1 chassis here, but expect the new Ford Chassis to deal with all of these issues.

Quote:
Exactly, there was an almost $9k price difference in the cars tested.
Quote:
That's not an argument. European cars are frequently matched against each other with greater than $10k price difference. It's all about % difference not $ difference, and the % difference is within 30% which is quite reasonable for match-ups.
The fact is, these cars appeal to similar buyers, and if you can afford such a car and you are not reaching the price is insignificant.

Quote:
And the ZL1 was still declared the winner, by several reviews now. Although the GT500 is a great car, its overpriced and still not quite as good as the ZL1.
It's older, limited by smaller tires and the SRA. What's amazing is that it can still outperform the ZL1 at all. Imagine what the Ford engineers will do with their clean slate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by garcmol View Post
My favorite part

The ZL1 holding 1.27g @ 111mph.... wow! That is planted, solid
Bloody impressive. No SRA car will match this and few IRS cars will as well. The MR suspension is amazing, imagine what it will do in the next gene ratio, lighter Camaro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hognutz View Post
that chart is exaclty what is wrong with the internet. It is all about numbers and not reality.

when I go to a track day I don't go there to run one hard lap.

they could put a chart up like that for the 2012 GT500 vs 2012 Boss 302.

the shelby wins the performance tests but every driver says they would own the boss.

if you like corners the Gt500 has issue period. always has. you can mod around them though.
You can mod around anything, but just as the ZL1 has a HP limit, so does a SRA set-up. Stock for stock, the ZL1 is a better car, but the older better performing GT500 is simply amazing as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trans665 View Post
they also said the camaro was less bumpy and a more better car for long drives....love my camaro...but the ford guys are not to far behind.
True. But we are behind. Not much more we can do with the limits of the current SRA on ride height, and handling. Still amazed quite frankly that the GT500 was able to outperform the ZL1. Somebody give these guys IRS, a lower ride height, wider wheel wheels, and the magnetic ride suspension.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbls1 View Post
The GT500 excelled in both the straight-line speed test and the road course. Ford was determined to compete in this class, and IMO they have done a remarkable job with the GT500. Preference is one thing, but the actual numbers show the strengths and weaknesses of the competing cars.

I wonder what Chevy is planning for a rebuttal?
It better be good, because if Ford can make this outdated chassis and suspension put down these kind of numbers GM might want to start head-hunting the Ford engineers.

Quote:
You guys aren't getting it.

It's not about comfort.

It's not about magnetic suspension.

It's not about LRA vs IRS.

It's not about power.

It's all about brakes. The GT500 lost because of brakes.

Let's talk about that.
It's not simply the brakes, it's what the brakes have to overcome verses the ZL1; a higher ride height, a less sophisticated suspension, a higher rate of speed. The breaks, are good, maybe better than the ZL1 brakes, but they are not good enough to overcome this car's contributing issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcfiddy1 View Post
Why do most people overlook the obvious when it comes to these 2 cars. Best bang for the buck is the GT500 hands down. It outperforms 2 out of 3 tests in the original post. We are talking a outright spanking off the showroom floor. Give it a few mods and I am sure it would get even worse. Ford has stepped up the game and if GM doesn't soon it will be a shame. If you want to say "well the ZL1 is better on the street" good for you and make sure you tell that to the gt500 when you pull up next to one at the track, if you actually take it there. I love my camaro but I am not brand loyal at all. If I were to do it again I would be looking at a SRT8 Grand Cherokee since it can do everything I want it to and even drive in the snow. So when I see a GT500 in the middle of winter I will win!
In my mind, the GT500 is the modern Cobra vs the ZL1's take on the Vette. The Vette was a better sportscar, but the legend of the Cobra shows raw power and limitations can create a legend like no other. I'm betting this Mustang will be the one to cross the BJ stage for big bucks in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revo1 View Post
Power is easier to increase than handling ability. Damned close race between two titans, to the victor go the spoils!
Generally true, but why did GM leave so much power on the table? Can the car handle it, because if you go chasing it you will void your warranty. The Ford still has more power as well, but with the current chassis, simply no use for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarFan View Post
The way these tests are turning out. It would be very interesting to see what the GT500 pulled at the Nurburgring. I have a feeling if it was better than the ZL1 Ford would have revealed it already especially in the face of losing the head to head matchups in the rags to the subjectively preferred ZL1.
From what I heard they matched if not bettered it, but the lack of consistency and Ford's policy prevented the numbers from ever reaching the public. That policy may change with the '15.

great tests, great cars. I've said it elsewhere the GT500 is the pinnacle of the current muscle car/ponycar and the ZL1 shows the way forward to a new bread of car.

Follow me on forums everywhere as Fenderaddict2 or my kid on the track and Twitter @fastmyles
Fenderaddict2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 04:24 PM   #137
Fenderaddict2
Opinionated bugger!

Drives: Boss 302, Mazda 2, Praga & Intrepid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MY1STCAMAR0 View Post
You must be alittle worried seeing as how your on a Camaro forum and yet you own a Mustang adding your 2 cents about how the Shelby is "faster and more powerful". Its faster sure but its clear the Mustang has a problem repeating its success meanwhile the Camaro flies right by. I rather have a car I can count on and dependable. the bowtie.
Dependable is yet to be proven, and based on my history with GM cars, I'm doubting it, however I think you were speaking about consistency and there's no doubt the ZL1 offers that. The driver will need to supply that in the GT500, a tough task only a few will be able to deliver.

Follow me on forums everywhere as Fenderaddict2 or my kid on the track and Twitter @fastmyles
Fenderaddict2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 04:27 PM   #138
concrete jungle
Hitman

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS
I'm a car guy and love both of them.
I've never owned a Ford, but if Chevrolet doesn't work on there quality control I might give a Ford a chance in the future.

Build your dream one day at a time . . . I did . . .
https://www.facebook.com/tonyrowe1966

*Caution ~ side effects may include soiled underwear if trajectory isn't kept straight...
concrete jungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 04:27 PM   #139
PYROLYSIS
Remember the Charleston 9

Drives: 2004 KME PREDATOR, 2014 2SS/RS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betiwin View Post
Yes it has been awarded the #1 spot by 4 magazines but lost 85% percent of the performance tests as shown in that list. Happens to the ZO6 all the time too tho.
The ZL1 did not lose 85% of the performance tests. 0-10,0-60, and 0-82.7 MPH is the same test. These Ford Fanboys are really grasping for straws. The GT500s biggest fail in this test is having brakes that severely fade after 1 lap even having all the performance packs. The GT500 in this test cost $8405 more than the ZL1 only amplifying it's shortcomings.
Old 06-27-2012, 04:29 PM   #140
oortcloud

Drives: 2013 ZL1 ordered
BTW I must admit I feel vindicated. I predicted the lack of brake ducts would be a problem for the gt500. Why didn't they just add the brake ducts to the track pack? They could have possibly won the road racing segment outright if they had done so.
oortcloud is offline   Reply With Quote