Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 09-20-2013, 06:11 PM   #15
AGP Turbo

Drives: All things Turbocharged
Quote:
Originally Posted by keving2873 View Post
I have actually been to Carbconn before, but something happenned to someone in our local group that turned me off to that shop, so I went with Tom Wong in Vancouver. Tom is great as he has done my headers and my cam along with the tuning to go with it. I personally don't have anything against Carbconn, I just went with Tom already. I have a thing about sticking with someone that does a good job for me. The only reason I would stop going to Tom is if something bad ever happened that was caused by his work. I really wated to see how it drives and sounds more than anything else.

Just based on reputation alone I can assure you Tom Wong would meet our qualifications to become a dealer. Lucas English is also on the short list for extremely capable shops in WA.
AGP Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 06:13 PM   #16
keving2873

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS RS
Great to know. Thanks for the help, AGP!

Harry, best of luck on the install and I hope to see that beast on the streets real soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGP Turbo View Post
Just based on reputation alone I can assure you Tom Wong would meet our qualifications to become a dealer. Lucas English is also on the short list for extremely capable shops in WA.
Custom Comp Cam 231/234 114LSA 617/598 lift, Katech timing chain
Apex Catch-can
VMAX Ported Throttle Body
20" Niche Essen's wrapped in Michelin PSS 315/295
keving2873 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 07:30 PM   #17
Unreal

Drives: 2006 Z06
Tom could call up and get you a great deal. Just let him know.
Old 09-21-2013, 10:34 PM   #18
HarryNW
HarryNW

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RS Black (LS3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by keving2873 View Post
HarryNW, do they have a roundabout time of being finished? I would like to take a look at your setup once finished as I might be going that direction and would love to see it in person.
Hoping Tues/Weds of next week at the latest. Will post here as soon as it is completed. I took the opportunity with it jacked up to remove and take home the Brembo calipers for painting. Took them back Friday. They were working out the final oil pump location as it did not fit in the prescribed location due to the power steering unit, but Ed already worked out a solution. Otherwise, most of the gear was hung Friday. Will see...

Curious what you ran into with Alex - PM me. He and Ed have been great so far, and their clientele is pretty impressive - a lot of professional racers seem to like taking their cars there.
Old 09-26-2013, 06:08 PM   #19
HarryNW
HarryNW

Update from Alex and Ed - the car is on its feet again, but there was an issue with the AGP Kit's exhaust pipes being too short!? So they had to take it up to the muffler shop and have them mate the exhaust together. Beyond that, the only thing left is the AEM Boost Controller and Dyno (and installing the EBC and Wideband gauges in the A-pillar).
Old 10-04-2013, 04:13 PM   #20
HarryNW
HarryNW

OK, I pick up the car first thing in the morning tomorrow. Alex reports some final touch-ups required in the tuning. Sounds like the BAP really forces a rich mix at 3000+ RPM, and he is trying to tune in some better balance. Better than running lean, but feels he can do better. Baseline wastegate was 6.5 psi. Currently pulling 608 RWHP at 7psi.

Otherwise, Alex said he was loving the car and did not want to give it back after smoking the tires at speed in 3rd gear yesterday. Feels like Xmas Eve...

So far, the tally on "unexpected glitches on the kit install" include:

- Exhaust linkage shortage - required a custom fab extension
- Relocation of the Oil pump - 2013 Power Steering module was relocated to kit's intended location
- Taking longer to tune than expected

Pictures and video tomorrow!
Old 10-04-2013, 04:50 PM   #21
Unreal

Strange on the exhaust piece since they are all done up on a jig and the 10+ other kits had no issues. The pipe butts up to the x-pipe and you use the factory band clamp thing. It isn't a slip fit so if they thought it was they might have though it was too short. The factory band just slides over each pipe and goes on fine. Either way, strange. The PS pump stuff has been resolved. All the other kits have been 2010-2012s without the EPS so that was a snag but all fixed.

Turn it up to 9-10psi and make 700+
Old 10-04-2013, 05:25 PM   #22
HarryNW
HarryNW

I added the AEM Tru-boost EBC and had Alex target 650 range, so I am guessing he will bring it up to 8 or so to make 650. Will run it there for a while. Interesting about the exhaust - will pass it along. The PS glitch was not a problem, just had to identify an appropriate alternate location - no hard fittings there, so flexible on location.
Old 10-04-2013, 05:30 PM   #23
Unreal

You will love it. 650rwhp and a ton of torque is one hell of a fun street car.
Old 10-04-2013, 05:51 PM   #24
AGP Turbo

Drives: All things Turbocharged
Sorry about the exhaust issue. I asked our welder and he said he was aware of an issue that could have caused the driver side pipe to be about a inch too short. He thought he caught and fixed them but clearly missed one. Not an issue anymore. We've shipped several since that bolted right on. PM me how much it cost to fix and we'll cover it. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Good power though
AGP Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 05:05 PM   #25
SGDM

Drives: 2016 2SS
Here comes another one...giddy up!

Who Dares...Wins
SGDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 05:05 PM   #26
SGDM

Drives: 2016 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGP Turbo View Post
Sorry about the exhaust issue. I asked our welder and he said he was aware of an issue that could have caused the driver side pipe to be about a inch too short. He thought he caught and fixed them but clearly missed one. Not an issue anymore. We've shipped several since that bolted right on. PM me how much it cost to fix and we'll cover it. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Good power though
Now that...is service!

Who Dares...Wins
SGDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 11:18 PM   #27
HarryNW
HarryNW

OK, I am hesitant to draw any hard conclusions today - got it back yesterday and there are some outstanding issues and some very unexpected behaviors, so I will be discussing further with Alex this Tuesday (their work week is Tue-Sat).

First off, the car dyno'd (w/EBC OFF) at 608RWHP. The acceleration is incredible and I clearly have to be very careful with throttle - twice today in 3rd gear at around 50-60mph I was a little heavy on throttle and started cutting loose on the rear end.

First bad news was that the EBC was not functioning. They suspect the control solenoid and have ordered a new one. Basically, Alex said the wastegate psi was at roughly 6.5, then any attempts to increase boost via the EBC had no effect. Alex and team have apparently installed many of these (they even carry them in stock), so I am going to take that at face value. Another related artifact is that the EBC gauge is reporting extremely high boost values, in the OFF setting. (See below video). At idle, the EBC (bottom gauge) is reading 12.2, then at sustained/steady 2K RPM it is reading >20psi...? WTF is that? At idle until 00:18, then held steady at 2K RPM.

Second issue is that he reported issues with tuning down the rich mix, especially at high RPM ranges. After driving the car, I have noticed what I think is VERY bizarre readings on the AEM Air/Fuel gauge - the gauge readings fluctuate wildly. Even at idle, I know to expect some amount of fluctuation (e.g. on the order of a few tenths), but bouncing from 13-18 at idle? Same exact thing when holding at 2K RPM, 3K, 4K. (Again, see below video, A/F gauge is top gauge).

This is also readily experienced while driving. Under acceleration, the engine is smooth and delivers incredible power, but attempting to maintain any constant RPM, regardless of gear, results in a ton of trailer-hitching (jerking).

The exhaust sounds mean (with the new Stage 2C cam it is fairly lopey), but I am spewing gas. Last two times I sat and idled for 2-3 minutes and turned off the car and REMOVED the key, the car continued running for another 10-20 seconds. (See second video).

Any thoughts?
Old 10-07-2013, 09:06 AM   #28
Levischilz

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS Transformers Edition
the injectors with the kit are large but should be fine. Running with the key out sounds like some wiring problems or that much excessive fuel but it should still be cutting the coils.

Most of the problems may be related to your EBC solenoid, I will tell you during my install I tried grounding off the block and was getting some fluctuation on my gauges ( was my fault i grounded to valave cover which has gasket didnt even think about it ). I regrounded to the welded bolt on the driver side fenderwell. Man with the troubles you have im surprised they even let you take the car. My afr at idle stays within + to - 1 roughly but I didnt cam my car.

I would wait till they swap out the ebc and go from there. It sounds like it will need more tuning after. You could have them bypass the ebc solenoid for now which would be very easy and see how the car behaves.

I also was around 6.5 lbs of boost off the springs then setup the ebc at a 30% and 40% duty cycle which gave me a 6.5 and 8 psi for a and b.

The surging and all is related to the boost fluctuation and fuel issues it sounds like.

Also double check the vacuum lines. Do you know what size vacuum lines were used and where they tee'd all of them into?
Levischilz is offline   Reply With Quote