Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 06-26-2013, 11:05 AM   #15
pyr0b0y
need....more....hp

Drives: The Neighbor Hater
I would do twin turbos IMO. I love my setup, and also have the IPS kit with zero issues from it. I road race my car, and with a boost controller, limit the boost so it doesn't spin the car out.

Mast Motorsports Built LS3 Stroker 418, IPS GT35R Twin Turbos, Exedy GTO4XD Twin Disc Clutch, Aeromotive A1000 Eliminator Stealth Fuel Pump, AEM Meth Injection, DSS 1400hp Axels, BC Coilovers, Pfadt & BMR Suspension, Hawk HPS Pads, Drilled/Slotted Rotors, Hurst Shifter, Custom Roll Cage by Blu808, T3 Ports, 22" Custom Concave Mesh Rims
pyr0b0y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 01:46 PM   #16
xjer22x

Drives: 2010 rs/ss black # 10,308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unreal View Post
Custom single with 4"+ downpipe, sure. Turbonetics, ick. They are fine for 500-600rwhp but once you want more the 3" downpipe is going to limit power, the long exhaust routing will hurt spool. Just do twins. More power, quicker spool, better cooling, etc.
Eh i beg to differ here.

it all comes down to choosing the properly sized turbo for the desired power level and motor.

If you go with 2 BIG turbos.... they will lag more than a properly sized single turbo. And if you go 2 SMALL turbos... then you can run into heating issues as the turbos will produce too much heat.

Turbos get very hot too, so if you have two of them... it will be hotter...

And it all comes down to intercooler sizing and pipe sizing as well.

For what he is looking for, a single would be perfect. it will keep normal drivability civil, wont hurt gas milage too much, and when he needs it... the monster will be ready.

If he wants over 700whp then yes i would say twins would be better as its easier to get more air flow at that point because the single turbo needed to match that would be HUGE.
xjer22x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 02:19 PM   #17
killmode_on

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by xjer22x View Post
Eh i beg to differ here.

it all comes down to choosing the properly sized turbo for the desired power level and motor.

If you go with 2 BIG turbos.... they will lag more than a properly sized single turbo. And if you go 2 SMALL turbos... then you can run into heating issues as the turbos will produce too much heat.

Turbos get very hot too, so if you have two of them... it will be hotter...

And it all comes down to intercooler sizing and pipe sizing as well.

For what he is looking for, a single would be perfect. it will keep normal drivability civil, wont hurt gas milage too much, and when he needs it... the monster will be ready.

If he wants over 700whp then yes i would say twins would be better as its easier to get more air flow at that point because the single turbo needed to match that would be HUGE.

That's all kind of true but missing the biggest point. The only single kit available for the Camaro has 10ft. of exhaust piping before the turbo. The problem with kits like that or rear mounts is you've lost a lot of the exhaust's energy by the time it gets to the turbo. So to get the turbo to spool up reasonably you have to go with a smaller turbo. Then that smaller turbo is limited on total power production. It's a catch 22. The U-turn single kit on the market today is both laggy and limited to around 700whp. It's more laggy than the 1100whp twins I have on my car. I really don't like superchargers but I'd get a Whipple or ECS kit before a U-turn single.
Old 06-26-2013, 02:25 PM   #18
xjer22x

Drives: 2010 rs/ss black # 10,308
Quote:
Originally Posted by killmode_on View Post
That's all kind of true but missing the biggest point. The only single kit available for the Camaro has 10ft. of exhaust piping before the turbo. The problem with kits like that or rear mounts is you've lost a lot of the exhaust's energy by the time it gets to the turbo. So to get the turbo to spool up reasonably you have to go with a smaller turbo. Then that smaller turbo is limited on total power production. It's a catch 22. The U-turn single kit on the market today is both laggy and limited to around 700whp. It's more laggy than the 1100whp twins I have on my car. I really don't like superchargers but I'd get a Whipple or ECS kit before a U-turn single.
haha just so you know i run a rear mounted twin turbo kit there are ways to reduce lag even if you have piping like mine. With twin 72mm turbos i am fully spooled around 3600rpm right now on the street. and at the track i can get them fully spooled around 2700 rpm.

Technology and experience these days has reduced lag to where its not an issue, plus on when you daily drive a car... its nice to have a little lag. You dont want instant power as thats what causes accidents.
xjer22x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 08:49 AM   #19
IPS Brandon

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS black
Send a message via AIM to IPS Brandon
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberPredator View Post
I've had my IPS twin turbo kit for 2+ years and 30,000 miles and it has been great. I can't speak for every kit but it's been so good so far with this one.
That is awesome to hear.

We have been making TT kits for this chassis since it came out...We love turbos, and are very good at designing turbo systems... hence we also have the fastest Camaro / and Corvette in the country (in their respective categories), with Darth Emma's TT Camaro having and off the shelf IPS turbo kit, and Atomic Fusion Vette a Custom gt55x twin set up.

Most of these photos are of our economy kit, and not the race kit (really not much different other then turbos)

IPS Brandon is offline   Reply With Quote